1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

No More Rooting????

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Monkey74, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Monkey74

Monkey74 New Member

2. 13th angel

13th angel Developer Developer

*facepalm*

1) they are WORKING on it, that doesn't mean its necissarily going to happen.
    2) no one knows what the carriers are going to do

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2
  3. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

4. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I'm here long enough to say this - if there is any truth to this, and I get blacklisted - they can take their smartphones and shove 'em. I for one will not support them any longer by upgrading everytime they put out some new shiny bling. Let's see how they feel when people stop buying ... and I hope they're reading this!!
  5. Doulandroid

Doulandroid New Member

Running 5.2 now, and I wish more devs had your attitude. Everyone else seems scared. Whatever happened to the you make it, we crack it open, and make it better attitude? Thanks Chevy,Maine is lucky. Keep the faithful updated.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  6. stark23x

stark23x New Member

Droid Life asked in a poll if this turns out to be true, what would you rather have: locked down latest whiz-bang phone or a slightly older "developer's edition" that can take ROMs and whatnot. Easy. I'll take the open phone. I *like* tinkering, and customizing and making it mine. I never tether. I barely use any 3G data at all, and I won't use much on 4G either. I just want a phone that I can fiddle with. I paid for the damn thing, let me break it if I want as long as I'm not harming the network. If I start abusing data, by all means shut me down. And that is easy enough to track. Until then, lemme mess with my phone and shut up already, Big Red.
  7. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Agreed i hate reading all these posts about them locking everything down i use tethering maybe 5 times a year if that i barely use any data either i'm usually to busy writing code to make phone calls or send texts i'd really hate to see it locked down and i too would move on to something else cause i thought the droids looked and were no where near as nice as say the iPhone or other smart phones that is until i rooted my device then i found a whole new world and would never want anything else u take my root i take my money else where

8. galaxy80

galaxy80 New Member

I haven't rooted yet, but I'm on the root side of this. I agree with the data misusage but Google shouldn't stop the rooters from improving their product. If anything, Google should encourage it and work with the rooters to make their product even better! That's the most logical thing to do. You save a lot of money paying people to improve your products web people are doing it for free!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  9. 4lph4num3r1c

4lph4num3r1c New Member

Ha ha. Chevyno1 for president. You rock man!
  10. Doulandroid

Doulandroid New Member

11. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie New Member

Thanks vulcan.

Sent via THUNDERBOLT
  12. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie New Member

I figured that'd be about the response of chevy... Lol. I just really can't see it being worth the time, effort, and bad publicity to go after the 1% or so of root users! You even search google for how to fix your phone and the first thing that pops up is df. Tech support couldn't fix my wife's incredible and kept telling her to reset it. I found it on df in about 15 min.

Look at the number of views some of these threads have. Most find their answer and move on without even registering. Without rooting, few of us would even be here to help anyone!

I feel safe saying that they won't shut us off. If they do, I think it'll be more the individuals who are abusing the system, ie: tethering or 5 warranty claims throughout their contract. I think they'll put out a warning too. I think if they just started shutting us down they'd be opening a world of lawsuits. Not to mention, their system would need to be COMPLETELY FLAWLESS for knowing if I'm rooted, image if they cut someone off and found they weren't rooted. That would be a FIRESTORM!!!

I think I'll root my shiny new thunderbolt, then maybe unroot for the ota (to avoid tracking if p3 is correct) then root again afterwards, so long as they don't kill every exploit with the ota.

Sent via THUNDERBOLT
  13. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

All the need to state is a violation of the TOS and they can do it.
    It's a private network that you are being allowed to access for a fee if you follow the TOS.
  14. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie New Member

Yes if you're talking about tethering, but i don't tether. What do the TOS state about rooting? I'll google it.

On another note, here's another perspective which i'm agreeing with...

Why You'll Always be Able to Root an Android Phone - Tested
  15. rollo69

rollo69 New Member

Nice find and good info there. IMO, I will say that no matter what steps are taken AS LONG AS Android remains Linux/Unix based OS there will always be a way to root the phone, period (thank you linux hackers /programmers/coders). That's the way linux is and will be until such a time Linux reaches Window$ status, if ever.

Just my 2cents.
  16. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs New Member

Not remotely worried about this pap.
    History has taught us one thing and that is things labeled as impossible are merely impossible since they have yet to be done, until like magic they switch to the realm of possible.
    Magic being humanities capacity of tenacity and the ability to think abstractly yet at the same time applying logic. Something I have found innate with all the developers, coders, modders and hackers.

Really fitting statement is this:
    The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't, are both right. Which are you?

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
    danceswithbongs