No matter how powerful Android Phones get, the Hardware means nothing !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Hardware in competition will never been a true combat, unless you have equal software power to match between the two.

clearly when it comes to Android vs IOS, that is not the case.
IOS has much greater number of software at its disposal. And much of it is of quality.

Android has better Hardware
IOS has better Software.

Which phone can do more?

Iphone4 can do much more than a Thunderbolt, even more than any 2011 Android phone.

The competition will never be equal until the Software is equal. and it isnt
What you say is mostly true, but consumers clearly care about hardware superiority. Otherwise, why would iPhone 3GS users have bothered to upgrade to iPhone 4?

iPhone apps are of higher quality than Android's, on the whole. However, I think you're overplaying things a bit. Strategy Analytics did a study where they found that among smartphone users, iPhone and Android included, people regularly used only six apps. Personally, I use about 10 regularly, most of which have iPhone synonyms. Both platforms have lots of cool "fluff" apps that show their capabilities, but aren't actually useful.

For instance, I do some minor professional video editing. No way an iPhone/Android app could replace Adobe Premiere to do the things I need. And even if they could, hardware would be a huge factor in compiling and converting, in which faster processors undoubtedly have the advantage.

Android will gradually overtake iPhone. It's only a matter of time before developers become used to multi-threading and take advantage of new hardware. But even as the iPhone is relegated to niche status, developers will still be able to generate more income on the AppStore, BUT gain more exposure through the Marketplace. It'll be the same as the PC market: Apple is a very small slice of the pie, but is insanely profitable relative to their competitors.

The competition is getting stiffer, and Jobs feels the pressure. They are smartphone hardware leaders, but that will no longer be the case starting in 2012. Even their component manufacturers (LG, Samsung, Toshiba) are fully invested in their own Android lineups. Apple is known for their AppStore and easy-to-understand iOS, which becomes less relevant as the Android OS matures and Apple shuts out less wealthy developers and new ideas through its restrictive ToS.

I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm saying that, in just a couple of short years, your quote will no longer be true.

chris420o

Reaction score
Ok u guys are just being naive with some of your comments...no one loves droids n hates iphones as much as me....but I call a square a square n a circle a circle n the simple fact is iphone walks circles around droids with their apps n smoothness of the ui.....now not all apps but def more....apple has really smooth crisp ui apps android isn't even close...now dtes that make apple better? No, its depending what u want out of a phone....now the reason forr this is bc of androids, what some percieve to be a strength but I call it its biggest weakness...low end devices......devs won't make apps for only the bionic if their losing market share of the people with an eris still....that's why we will prob never be on par with apples apps.......to bash the op is just stupid n u guys sound worse than apple fan boys

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok u guys are just being naive with some of your comments...no one loves droids n hates iphones as much as me....but I call a square a square n a circle a circle n the simple fact is iphone walks circles around droids with their apps n smoothness of the ui.....now not all apps but def more....apple has really smooth crisp ui apps android isn't even close...now dtes that make apple better? No, its depending what u want out of a phone....now the reason forr this is bc of androids, what some percieve to be a strength but I call it its biggest weakness...low end devices......devs won't make apps for only the bionic if their losing market share of the people with an eris still....that's why we will prob never be on par with apples apps.......to bash the op is just stupid n u guys sound worse than apple fan boys

If I tried to say this better I'd fail. +1000

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

donzz

Reaction score
Huh? I have an Ipod Touch and it isn't any faster then my D-1. I have NO idea where you're coming from?

yiannis

Reaction score
Your pro-iPhone argument is completely fallacious, however your conclusion may be applicable for the majority of cell phone users.

There are two criteria used when buying a cell phone, coolness and functionality. The iPhone appeals to trendy metrosexuals and Android appears to computer programmer geeks and those who despise Apple marketing.

Now the question of functionality is more difficult to get into. Android phone have better hardware while the iPhone has more uses. The question is what functionality options EACH CUSTOMER wants. It's stupid to try and generalize on what should be a totally individual decision.

While your boss sits on traffic playing with his useless apps, I use Google maps 5.2.1 to automatically find re-directs around it. To me use of Google maps/text to speech navigation has been reason enough to prefer android.

My phone is used primarily for mobile web surfing and while not perfect my phone can do flash, I use a fast browse in xScope, listen to radio on yourmuze.fm and watch youtube native.

The only iPhone App I'm envious of is Facetime, though the hardware and connection speeds are so slow on 3G that make the functionality of it limiting. Give me facetime and consistent 8Mbps with a 5 GB/mo plan and then we can chat. I'll bet Android will have its equivalent in no time.

Adios

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your pro-iPhone argument is completely fallacious, however your conclusion may be applicable for the majority of cell phone users.

There are two criteria used when buying a cell phone, coolness and functionality. The iPhone appeals to trendy metrosexuals and Android appears to computer programmer geeks and those who despise Apple marketing.

Now the question of functionality is more difficult to get into. Android phone have better hardware while the iPhone has more uses. The question is what functionality options EACH CUSTOMER wants. It's stupid to try and generalize on what should be a totally individual decision.

While your boss sits on traffic playing with his useless apps, I use Google maps 5.2.1 to automatically find re-directs around it. To me use of Google maps/text to speech navigation has been reason enough to prefer android.

My phone is used primarily for mobile web surfing and while not perfect my phone can do flash, I use a fast browse in xScope, listen to radio on yourmuze.fm and watch youtube native.

The only iPhone App I'm envious of is Facetime, though the hardware and connection speeds are so slow on 3G that make the functionality of it limiting. Give me facetime and consistent 8Mbps with a 5 GB/mo plan and then we can chat. I'll bet Android will have its equivalent in no time.

Adios

What a silly group to be in. "Those who despise Apple's marketing"

patfactorx

Reaction score
There's a reason why netbooks sold so well. Most stuff ppl use their computers for require very lil processing power.

I agree hardware doesnt mean anything right now until apps get more intense.

yiannis

Reaction score

Adios

Please enlighten us?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Adios

Please enlighten us?

You have to tell me what you need to be enlightened on. I think the OP is 100% correct. You can bring out tegra-40 processors if you want, if the software is not up to par it won't matter. Android has a lot of catching up to do, and I for one don't think they'll ever fully catch up because of the different devices and versions out there.

yiannis

Reaction score

Please enlighten us?

You have to tell me what you need to be enlightened on. I think the OP is 100% correct. You can bring out tegra-40 processors if you want, if the software is not up to par it won't matter. Android has a lot of catching up to do, and I for one don't think they'll ever fully catch up because of the different devices and versions out there.

Maybe you need to read what I posted. For the reasons I need my phone, which is navigation, internet and -before iPhone came to VZW- consistent bandwidth for radio streaming Android wasn't the best option. It was the ONLY option.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Please enlighten us?

Maybe you need to read what I posted. For the reasons I need my phone, which is navigation, internet and -before iPhone came to VZW- consistent bandwidth for radio streaming Android wasn't the best option. It was the ONLY option.

iPhone does navigation...clearly does "internet", and is on VZW now so can do radio streaming. So...your point is moot?

yiannis

Reaction score

iPhone does navigation...clearly does "internet", and is on VZW now so can do radio streaming. So...your point is moot?

I don't know how to explain this better, but I'll try "bullet lists"

1) When I bought Android

a) iPhone was not on VZW
b) had to pay extra for unreliable text to speech navigation

2) Now that iPhone is on VZW it is inferior to Android in the following functionalities:

a) Google maps not there; navigation is inferior in displaying traffic
b) Flash support
c) Youtube native

No my point isn't moot it's very valid to me. If you don't care about google maps, flash support and youtube there's no point buying Android.

bplewis24

Reaction score
why dont you just switch then to the iphone

/thread.

Seriously, some of the things he posted aren't true (aging iPhone models can do more than hi-tech Android phones, so why buy Android in the future).

Other things apply universally (hardware won't realize it's full potential without optimized software). That is true, however, it's true in every facet of consumer electronics.

It's also true that iOS does a great job of marrying it's software to it's hardware. Quite honestly, it should: it's a closed OS with only one smartphone hardware release per year.

And don't give me the app debate. It goes both ways. There are great, exclusive apps on both platforms. Google Maps Navigation may be the single greatest app on any platform. As well, there are plenty of things you cannot do on iOS that you can do on Android. And there are some things you can do on iOS that you can't do on Android (but it would have to be in the way of an exclusive app, not OS limited). If you like the iOS way, go get an iPhone.

Nevertheless, the latest "hi-tech" Android phones do in fact perform very well comparably to the iPhone4. And one of the biggest hurdles to this was the fact that current/past versions of Android did not have hardware acceleration. Gingerbread has partial acceleration, and Honeycomb has it fully baked in. The software has caught up to the superior hardware, and it shows.

Now IS the time to buy Android (now meaning 2011 with Gingerbread and Honeycomb/Ice Cream).

But, yeah, nice troll thread.

Brandon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.