No matter how powerful Android Phones get, the Hardware means nothing !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knighthonor

Reaction score
No matter how powerful Android Phones get, the Hardware means nothing if you dont have the software to make use of it!!!!

If the software isnt up to par, than no matter how powerful these new Android phones will be, they will never be able to compete with Iphone, not even the old&aging Iphone 4.

Right now, I believe the problem with Android is the fact that it doesnt have the apps to compete with Iphone OS.

Take Thunderbolt for example.
Now compare it to Iphone4. I it more powerful hardware wise? sure it is.
But how do I put that new Hardware to use, if that software isnt even in the same league with the Apple apps.

I can do more with a Iphone 3 & 4, than I can do with a Thunderbolt.

Hardware in the smartphone market, means little if the Software isnt as useful as the competition.

Edit:
Sorry for the rant, but the truth is, there isnt much a reason to upgrade to new hardware, if the software isnt as good.

Why should future consumers, pick a new next gen high tech Android phone, when they can get a older Iphone model, which would still be able to do more things than any new hi tech Android phone can do?

until Google, and the Hardware makers, and Developers, understand this issue, I cant ever see the Android being a true threat to Apple.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Let's make constructive posts or Don't bother......

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe instead of ranting, you should make actual comparisons.

I've never used an iPhone, so I certainly don't know what they do better than my phone ( I don't really care, but you have to make a comparison, so people who don't have either device can have some pertinent information).

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's easy to post a rant with no data.

I know there may be specific apps on one platform that isn't matched by apps on the other, but I like the other posters would like to have a list of apps available for the iPhone that does not have an equal on the android platform.

Good rant though and even it is true for your specific needs, that does not mean the entire Android Platform is deficient. I, for one, have been able to find apps that do every single thing I want my phone to do. :)

Gritwater

Reaction score
Translation...don't say iphone can outperform android....even if its simply your opinion.... :rolleyes:

Personally, I agree with you on the iphone thing. I got android because at the time, iphone was only at&t and I prefer verizon. I simply had no choice and now I am in this phone for at least one more year.

But android phanbois wont allow the downgrading of their phone, but will complain that iphone people do it all the time. Nothing more pathetic than watching little brother try to out do his older brother. Bwahahhhahaha

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving. Thankyou Tapatalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Translation...don't say iphone can outperform android....even if its simply your opinion.... :rolleyes:

Personally, I agree with you on the iphone thing. I got android because at the time, iphone was only at&t and I prefer verizon. I simply had no choice and now I am in this phone for at least one more year.

But android phanbois wont allow the downgrading of their phone, but will complain that iphone people do it all the time. Nothing more pathetic than watching little brother try to out do his older brother. Bwahahhhahaha

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving. Thankyou Tapatalk

I think he meant to keep it respectful. So far yours is the only post that is calling people names and being disrespectful.

R3Ds

Developer
Reaction score
Website
r3dsthemes.com
Just keep in mind that android OS is very new to the mobile devices. Look how much has been done in a year of android being around. The only reason iOS is much more popular is because it was the first full touch screen smartphone and look who is behind it, APPLE. Same thing is said about everything that brings competition to existing products. Keep in mind android is open source, and is only had a few updates. Unlike others closed source, and that means that you are limited, and you can't do nothing with your device unless THEY ALLOW IT. Let's see where android stands in 6 months from today. My 2 cents ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jbdow

Reaction score
A big thanks to the ranters. just an opinion? sure. why not. doesn't stop it from being dead on. I'd say at least a year if not longer before andy apps can compete with
anyone, if then.

signed, jafo

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
Maybe instead of ranting, you should make actual comparisons.

I've never used an iPhone, so I certainly don't know what they do better than my phone ( I don't really care, but you have to make a comparison, so people who don't have either device can have some pertinent information).

I have a Droid X. And all I do is back and forth with my Supervisor trying to defend Android when it comes to Android vs Iphone arguments that seem to come forth everyday.

I surf this site, in hope that it would someday truly open up to being equal to Iphone.

When I get into disputes, the main thing I have to my defense, is "THE HARDWARE ON MY PHONE IS EQUAL TO YOUR PHONE BESIDES THE FRONT CAM, SO HOW CAN IPHONE BE SUPER GREATLY BETTER THAN ANDROID?"

but each time, he brings to his defense the awesome Apps that Iphone has at doing just about anything.

I search for Android apps to also stand my ground, but hey, nothing. Having to search both Browser and Market for a Android App to compete seems dull IMO.

My Supervisor showed me a App that took a picture of a face that he drew on the board, and made the face move and talk, even repeating things he would say. That was amazing. I couldnt find anything on the Android Market even close.

He even had a video editor app that had real time editing effects. The closes app I could find was Video illusion Pro, and that didnt even come close!

He works in Media Arts, and he films just about everything with his Iphone4. Even makes Music Videos with the thing.

He showed me a app that allowed him to edit video without the need to wait for it to finish loading (not sure the correct Term for this in Media Arts field) But he could trim parts of the video, and even move different parts around and play the video back instantly after editing it. He even could change the color of things in the video.
He made the sky seem gray then changed to to a blue sky. He even was able to change the color of objects in the video, like a Sports car and a building in the background.

I was amazed. But as usual, I couldnt compete because I lacked the Software to match that power.

Thats what first had to thinking about this issue between Android-vs-IOS.

I was saying to myself, hey well there are some new even more powerful Android phones on the way (hardware wise) than the Iphone4. (Hint hint, the Thunderbolt, Bionic, etc).

On the way to and from a event, my supervisor would go on and on about what (he say) makes the Iphone and Apple in general, so powerful.
He went on and on about the Hardware, which I argued against, saying its made from the same factories that other computers are made from.
But than he said something about the OS of Apple products that compute better and faster than other OS. (He doesnt know much about Software programming and Foundations, I know that, but he brought something up that grabbed my attention)

but then a thought came to me. Hit me square in the head.
These new phones are more powerful (hardware wise), but really, what makes that hardware special when its using the same dull app market the older models are using?

as my supervisor (unintentionally) brought up, the Software is basically the ONLY THING THAT MAKES IPHONE AND IOS IN GENERAL BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE OUT THERE. If the SAME SOFTWARE THAT IPHONE HAS WAS ALSO ON THE ANDROID MARKET, THERE WOULDNT EVER BE A REASON TO GET IPHONE. This goes back to the aged old argument on why Hardcore Windows Computers are better than Hardcore Apple computers. (by hard core, I mean expensive decked out computers hardware wise)

But without that Software, the newer and newer models of android phones simply cant compete with the things IOS can do.

Even with Dual Core processors, Iphone4 still runs circles around Android phones in terms of the things it can do.

The Hardware keeps going up, but the Software on Android seem like its in a standstill to me in terms of bridging the gap between Android and IOS software market.

My supervisor, even tho he doesnt know a thing about Programming and Software Development IMO, brings up a very interesting point on something else. He ask me in a dispute, "If Android OS is more powerful than IOS, than why aren't the developers of Iphone Apps, making these same apps for Android?"
I replied, that its because it takes a lot of funding to convert the codes to another OS.

but that also got me thinking about something.
Many of the Software developers arent even making anything for Android market. I googled searched the developers of each of those cool apps he showed off, just to see if anything would come up regarding the Android. But nothing, nothing,,,,,, these isnt any plans from these developers to move on over.

I made a Thread a while ago here dealing with this topic on why Developers wont come over to Android from Iphone. To me it seems like they would be able to make more money, but there was more to it than just that.

To sum this up
I just dont see much coming to Android in terms of true power, unless Google buckles down and realize that the Software is the only thing holding it back from IOS. If I were them, I would stop focusing on investing in updating the OS, and start going 100% invested in Software Development.

I will say it again;

THE IPHONE'S SOFTWARE IS THE ONLY THING THAT HAS IT ON TOP IN THE SMARTPHONE MARKET. COPY ALL THE APPS THAT IOS HAS TO ANDROID, AND VISE-VERSE TO IOS, AND YOU WOULD SEE,,, THERE IS NO REASON TO GET A IPHONE. BUT UNTIL GOOGLE REALIZE THIS, THE GAP WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Video editing??? I'll give them that one. I mean the mac cut its teeth on video editing. It stands to reason that starting with that as a base, the iOS should be way ahead. But believe me that in the real world the ability to edit video is not that big of a deal. You'll find that rather than define the success or failure of an OS, video editing doesn't even enter into the equation for the VAST majority of smartphone buyers/users. And if it does, then buy the iPhone. No hard feelings and no recriminations. Just get the phone that works for you. I just hope you are not letting yourself be defined by a cell phone.

Good luck with all this!! :)

darkmatter

Reaction score
imo, the biggest difference between the devices isn't even the phone itself.... its itunes.

I would love to Apple out, as it were. I've always been a fan of apple, even before it was cool to like them, and now when its even cooler to hate them. But I cannot handle itunes. words can't describe my disdain for that program. Its not bad enough that you cant simply do as you please with software that you buy (ie, music), but the program itself is horribad. Having to spend an hour or two every now and then to delete multiple copies of everything is very annoying. Having to sync your music, and go through itunes to put anything onto your device...I just can't handle it.

Give me android where I can just plug my phone in, put what I want to have on it onto it, and then unplug it and it works. I want music in my music folder? drag, drop, done. movies in my movies folder? drag, drop, done. I can't stand how frustrating itunes makes it to do the same thing with iphone/ipods.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right now, I believe the problem with Android is the fact that it doesnt have the apps to compete with Iphone OS.
Not this tired rant yet again...

I have a Droid X. And all I do is back and forth with my Supervisor trying to defend Android when it comes to Android vs Iphone arguments that seem to come forth everyday.
Well there's the actual problem. Who cares what others think if your device suits you best? General "X is better than Y" arguments are pointless. Engaging in people that fixate on them is pointless. You can't change a stubborn person's opinion no matter what.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know specifically what apps he's talking about. I see many of the same apps on my iPad in the app store.

But I've said this many times before, until people with Android devices are willing to kick out 10 or 20 for an app, then you will not see the "great" apps in the android Market.

warrior21

Reaction score
It always amazes me when iphone users pump up their phones and trash everything android and then call us the fanbois. Instead of coming on here whining about how great the iphone is and complaining about the android platform, why don't you just switch to one and join another forum? This is an android forum so are you shocked that the members actually prefer it?? Smart phones are there to make life a little easier and are very convenient but nothing I would ever get worked up about in the grand scheme of things. Get the phone that works best for you and stop crying about trivial garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.