no love for the maxx?

psi

Reaction score
Been trying to decided what phone i want to upgrade and having a hard time deciding from the nexus to the maxx. The nexus has reception issues, and the razr maxx don't have many developer roms like other phones. Is this just due to the boot loader? will more be available in the future for this phone? Maybe once ics is official the maxx might get more roms?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The bootloader is a large part of it. Unless Motorola decides to start unlocking them, I wouldn't expect any major increase in the number of roms. I'm sure a few more will come along, but you're not going to see the type of developer support on the MAXX that the Nexus has. If roms are really important to you, you should definitely go with the Nexus. If having a phone that actually maintains reception and has great battery life is important to you, go with the MAXX. For me, it was a night and day switch coming from the Nexus to the MAXX. Sure flashing roms is fun, but I really need a phone that's actually going to work. The Nexus had far too many reception issues for me (I had four, and they all had the exact same problems). After going with the MAXX, I haven't looked back since.

Also, are you looking just at roms that are listed specifically for the MAXX or are you looking at RAZR roms in general? Roms for the RAZR will work with the MAXX as well since they're internally identical on software and hardware except for the battery.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'll third what they said. :) but I'm contemplating getting a nexus just to mess with... does that make any sense?? I think with that phone being unlocked, it would be a good toy. I don't mean that in a derogatory way. I mean something to tinker with.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Last edited:
OP
P

psi

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I really like all the dev support for the nexus. I really don't want to take a gamble on getting a good unit and its sad that the device been out as long as it has and no fix for it yet. I remember when the blackberry storm first came out i had the same problem with reception and receiving texts when i was at or near my house. I went through over 15 units in a year before they sent me a BB storm 2 when it came out. I don't have the luxury just to have it to tinker with cause i need it to actually be a good phone since that's what i want it for. I do like having the option to flash and customize but i don't want to pay to be a beta tester with the Nexus cause i done that with the BB storm:mad: I really enjoy my Inc , i just wish the Inc 4G was going to be a little better then what i have been reading.

OP
P

psi

Reaction score
Also How's the camera vrs the nexus?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Also How's the camera vrs the nexus?

It's better than the camera on the Nexus. It's not immensely better, but it's better.

OP
P

psi

Reaction score
It's better than the camera on the Nexus. It's not immensely better, but it's better.

Thanks for the info, i really like having a good camera cause you never know whats going to happen with kids or the big kids lol