No longer switches to navigation when address is clicked ...

ROBinTEXAS

Reaction score
On Wednesday when I left Dallas, everything worked. When I searched for an address, and clicked on it (or touched "directions"), it immediately switched to navigation (not Verizon but the free one with the blue arrow). It would pick up my location for the starting point and then give me directions. If I wanted to turn my phone into a GPS I simply clicked the arrow.
This was easy. #1 touch address, #2 touch the blue arrow and I was on my way.

After landing in Phoenix on Wednesday, and restarting my phone, now when I click on an address, it goes to google maps and doesn't know my location (even though I have my GPS turned on). There is a "enter a location" option but most of the time, as I'm driving about, I have no idea what my current address is. To get this to work I have to enter an address manually after stopping to see what street I'm on and what address I'm near. If I enter an address, it gives me directions (no longer turns into my navigation GPS device). To get it to do that, I have to copy and paste the address into the navigation app AFTER I've opened it. This is a huge hassle compared to the ease of things when I left Dallas. :angry:

I stopped at two Verizon stores in the Phoenix area, and no one at either store knew what changed, or how to fix it. They tried it on their phones and their phones no longer immediately switched over to the navigation app after clicking on an address (no longer is there a blue arrow because you're no longer in the navigation app ... but are in google maps instead).

Any idea of how to get back to where I was? :hail:

Thanks a ton. This is the thing about my phone that I liked the most of everything (well, aside from SWYPE).

:)
Robin

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hi Robin :) have you checked for updates??? Also.. you have your device listed as a droid X but this question is in the razr section... the two devices while similar, there are some differences.. this is why I ask :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
R

ROBinTEXAS

Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up. My old phone was the X. This phone is the Razr. Fixed that in my profile. ;)
Yes, I checked for updates and it says none are needed as I'm up to date.

Just tried to delete the app Google Maps to reload it, but it won't go away. It did, however, let me do an update on THAT app and still the same problem. I haven't changed anything so I'm frustrated that while I'm travelling, I have no ease of GPS use with my phone as I usually do. More frustrating is the guys at the local Verizon stores have no clue. I'm sure it's something relatively easy to fix but how?

Thanks for any help you can give ...
Robin

Hi Robin :) have you checked for updates??? Also.. you have your device listed as a droid X but this question is in the razr section... the two devices while similar, there are some differences.. this is why I ask :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Deraldean

Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up. My old phone was the X. This phone is the Razr. Fixed that in my profile. ;)
Yes, I checked for updates and it says none are needed as I'm up to date.

Just tried to delete the app Google Maps to reload it, but it won't go away. It did, however, let me do an update on THAT app and still the same problem. I haven't changed anything so I'm frustrated that while I'm travelling, I have no ease of GPS use with my phone as I usually do. More frustrating is the guys at the local Verizon stores have no clue. I'm sure it's something relatively easy to fix but how?

Thanks for any help you can give ...
Robin

hey there Robin i had this same problem a few weeks back with my phone for some reason the GPS was changed on the settings. dotn know how it happened but after i changed them back they went back to normal.

it seems that the navigator only works if the GPS is all ready working well thats what i took from it anyway..... another also i found out if u manualy turn on the navigator from you app drawer it repairs the error with the GPS settings or it should anyway.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
The GPS in the phone works like any GPS if you turn the device off and move it a long distance it will take a while to get a lock on the satellites in the new area especially if you are indoors or in a vehicle. Once it knows its new location it will get a lock much quicker. Best thing to do is take the device outdoors and run through the maps and navigation apps several time to force it to look for the satellites it needs to use.
This happened to me a while back I drove 350 miles with the GPS off and when I went to use the GPS a few days later on my motorcycle it could not find me. It took 14 miles of riding before it finally was able to get a lock on my position. Once it locked on it was fine.

OP
R

ROBinTEXAS

Reaction score
I've stopped by three Verizon stores now, and nobody can figure it out. If I turn on just a GPS app, it's spot on. If I open navigator app (blue arrow), then it knows exactly where I am and will provide turn by turn directions. But if I go to Google and search for something (say a hotel) and then pick the choice near me, touching the "directions" button, it doesn't know where I am. All of the possible updates have been done (on the apps and the phone generally). I have shut it down and restarted it several times. It's now Monday night and I arrived on Wednesday morning. Still no improvement. Every setting is turned on correctly (and it has to be for the GPS to work with the non-google/google maps settings). Just a few hours ago, i completely reset the phone to factory specs and still no improvement.

I used to simply #1 google the location (step 1), #2 touch the address that I wanted (it no longer does anything when I touch the address, it has only the "get directions" button that works in goggle), and when it came up with the directions, I'd #3 touch the blue arrow and in three steps I'd be navigating without having to copy and paste the address into the navigator app after pulling it up, and without having to stop and look at the address of where I am (lost when travelling! LOL) and manually put that in because in that non-navigation mode, it can't figure out where i am.

I feel like google did an update that is trying to force me to use the paid verizon app (except that doesn't make sense). I've spent an hour and a half on the phone with a tech from motorola and they couldn't figure it out.

I feel like this is something minor but none of us can figure it out.
If they weren't so expensive i'd buy a new phone at this point but the phone is only three months old and has always worked perfectly through my time at home and when travelling. I need to find a hard core motorola droid razr geek. THIS seems to be a real challenge! :)

I really appreciate any feed back y'all have. I'm still trying to get my phone set up (replacing all that I blasted off with my desperate attempt to reset to get back to it working again).
Robin

Deraldean

Reaction score
just going to ask really quick the google location services are on as well as the standalone gps right?

robert70

Reaction score
Deraldean said:
just going to ask really quick the google location services are on as well as the standalone gps right?

I was going to ask the same thing.

Sent from my wicked sharp razr!