no keyboard backlight

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by drivebylake, Dec 11, 2009.

1. drivebylake

drivebylake New Member

I installed the 2.0.1 update today. However, I just realized that my physical keyboard will not light up anymore. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Hope my Droid isn't broke.
  2. hajabooja

hajabooja New Member

It should only light up when you in a dark room. Same with the capacitive buttons on the bottom of the screen. Take your thumb and place it over the top right hand corner of the device and wait a few seconds. The lights should turn on then. This saves battery life...
  3. lew11

lew11 New Member

Same problem here but covering the light sensor does not work...updated this morning amd have restarted the phone many times. Not happy!
  4. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

I guess this is a problem for those of you still using that "battery saving" auto mode? (It hurt my eyes with the constant switching, so I turned that off long ago). I have not seen any problems with backlight of keyboard or screen buttons not turning on.
  5. drivebylake

drivebylake New Member

It wasn't only my keyboard. My soft buttons wouldn't light up either and was in the dark. However, weird thing was after I posted this, I tried my phone a bit later and it's working now.
  6. racklefratz

racklefratz New Member

I've seen a number of posts alleging the 2.0.1 update broke their phone. I don't believe any of them. Either the update didn't complete successfully and something got corrupted, or the user is expecting something that's just not there.
  7. viperboy

viperboy New Member

If it happens again... Home Screen > Menu > Settings > Sound & Display > Brightness. Uncheck and than check Automatic Brightness. That seems to "unstick" the non-working backlight on the keys.
  8. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

This is happening to me also, what I've noticed though is after locking; then unlocking the screen the problem goes away until another reboot, which it happens again until I lock and unlock the phone. Kinda annoying but thankful for an update atleast.
  9. lew11

lew11 New Member

It started working again last night after I plugged it into the wall charger. I updated yesterday morning and didn't notice of the soft keys or the keyboard lit up during the day. It's working this morning as well, so hopefully it's fixed...
  10. amb4582

amb4582 New Member

It is very strange, but after the update, I noticed that my keyboard lights and and soft buttons would flash on and off randomly (at about 5-10 second intervals) while typing a text message in the dark. This did not happen before the update so I wonder why it is doing this. My automatic brightness is turned off.
  11. civEX

civEX New Member

My soft keys seem to do this too. Sometimes it's on and sometimes it's not. Last night I rebooted it and noticed the soft keys were off and I also was in the dark. I turned the auto on and off hoping to fix it and it didn't right away, so I toggled the stock power widgets brightness settings and it came on again. I'm assumeing this is a software issue and not a hardware.
  12. lew11

lew11 New Member

uggg I had the blinking lights earlier while typing a text message just like amb4582 described...:mad:
  13. allikanbe

allikanbe Member

Mine did that before the update. It's just a frekin tad annoying. Usually the lights just went out after about 10 seconds. I don't know if it still happens after the update.
  14. mr2man

mr2man New Member

I had this same backlight problem.... and then it just started working. I even turned the phone off/on and it didn't fix it.
  15. Steve H

Steve H Member

all my keys lit up fine BEFORE the update. Now I notice that sometimes they lite up and other times they don't ( in a totally dark room).
  16. ryanm

ryanm New Member

I to am noticing lighting probs after up date and NEVERE B4. My soft keys went off and stayed off until my phone froze then went black. then the red eye came on and then my lock screen. then the soft keys were lit but keyboard wouldnt. my auto brightness has been off. locking and unlocking the screen does turn the keyboard on, but this shouldnt be happening and IS most likely update related.
  17. bigthinker

bigthinker New Member

does anyone know how to keep the keyboard lights lit up for longer than 10 seconds? Is there a setting for these somewhere?
  18. bbrruuccee

bbrruuccee New Member

I'm assuming you said that just to get a rise. I woke up to find all backlighting nonfunctional, dark, light, covered, auto or anything. after restart, no change, but a few minutes later, slid the keyboard and spontaneously "voila". I'm in Mensa, and it was no stupidity on my part. The update is intermittently disabling the backlight. Comprende?
  19. CGLOCK

CGLOCK New Member

Lock then unlock fixed mine
  20. Jer

Jer New Member

Thanks for posting this as it was the fix for me. Not even a reboot/battery pull would solve the issue for me. I found this thread and simply pushed the lock button and upon pushing it again the keyboard and 4 buttons at the bottom (or right in this instance) lit up and saved me from potentially discovering the flight characteristics of my shiny new Droid.
Search tags for this page
android keyboard light not working
content
droid 3 keyboard does not turn on
droid 4 keyboard backlight not working
droid 4 keyboard light not turning on?
droid 4 keyboard light not working
droid keyboard backlight not working

droid keyboard light not working

droid motorola keyboard is lit up but the screen is not
droid x keys backlight not work
how can i keep the backlight lit longer on my galaxy siii