No iPhone to Verizon until at least 2011

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by jpoutre, May 6, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Kill this thread? Absolutely not and no reason to say sorry.

These rumors are going to come if not from you then from someone else. And I hope you didn't take my response personally, it's just that I've heard it so often it's laughable. I wouldn't believe it unless Steve Jobs gives me a call and tells me. And then he better do it by Skype so I can make sure it's him. ;)

2. jpoutre

jpoutre Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I have taken no offense, I was just slopping in reading the story and didn't realize how much speculation there was, I never would have posted it had I taken my time reading it. Very sloppy on my part.

3. Big Cam

Big Cam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This just in, the iphone might be able to fly, at least that's the latest rumor that no one cares about.

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I think a few people around here already demonstrated that when they got their Droid.;)

5. dos

dos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Keep those rumors coming, it depends on the hour and the day and the rumors will change. Engadget says it looks like it is coming to Verizon with 4G LTE. Verizon iPhone chatter is getting harder (than usual) to ignore -- Engadget

Alright, stop us if you've heard this one before -- but seriously, we've noticed an uptick on the tip lines here at Engadget in the last couple weeks that's becoming difficult to ignore. It's one thing to say "hey, the iPhone is launching on Verizon," but we're noticing a particular confluence of facts that has us intrigued: it'll drop sometime in Summer, possibly in concert with the announcement that Verizon's first commercial LTE networks have gone live, and -- tread carefully here, because this is pretty difficult to believe and we don't want to get your hopes up only to have them smashed into a million pieces -- it'll supposedly even be a 4G launch device. We've gotten surprisingly specific details both from Verizon employees and tipsters whose companies are supposedly under NDA with Verizon to test enterprise deployments of the handset later this year, and they're all sending basically this same message. Read on!

Now, assuming there's even an iota of truth to this noise, we can say with some confidence that this thing won't be an LTE exclusive -- it obviously makes sense to include LTE as a publicity stunt (even if it's only used for data and not voice), but considering how limited Big Red's 4G footprint will be in the near term, there's little doubt that this would be a CDMA / LTE dual-mode deal capable of working anywhere in the carrier's network. Phones like the EVO 4G have certainly proven that there's interest in a high-end smartphone that's configured this way.

Thing is, this isn't how Apple typically works -- at all. Three generations of iPhone prove conclusively that Cupertino is all about stringing the world along with incremental handset upgrades that are just barely evolutionary enough to make you want to shell out the cash, and what we've seen of the fourth-generation model suggests that strategy isn't slowing down any time soon. Demand for a Verizon iPhone is high enough so that it seems Apple could easily get away with a considerably less revolutionary CDMA-only model in 2010, saving LTE for a year or two down the road when the network is bigger, silicon is more efficient, and heck, who knows, maybe carriers will have even figured out voice implementations by then. If there's any carrier in North America that could singlehandedly twist Apple's arm into fast-forwarding Apple's R&D roadmap, though, it'd have to be Verizon with its 90 million-plus subscriber headcount. We suppose anything's possible as long as enough backs get scratched, and CEO Ivan Seidenberg has always struck us as the type of exec that'd just love to give AT&T a very public "screw you."

Either way, it might just be a matter of Apple and Verizon agreeing on numbers. Both companies are known to be stubborn in negotiations, and we can see either of them walking away (just as Verizon famously did prior to the original iPhone launch) until the John Hancocks are on the dotted line. Stay tuned -- this should be an incredibly interesting Summer.

6. oakindustries

oakindustries New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    *speculation*
    imho, as a rep (not going to say where), most likely we won't see the iphone until 4g lte is rolled out. Most likely the iphone will be our big 4g seller. You also won't be seeing any 4g devices until they release a 4g aircard of some sort first.
    *speculation*

I saw one of my big bosses the other day, the ones you never see. We chatted briefly but for some reason or another the iphone came up. I said I wasn't really that excited about it because indirect might not be able to sell it. He said he was in negotiations with corp vzw to make sure the indirect channel was not left out. They are talking about it if that means anything. It would be arrogant to think they weren't. I hope we get it because that means I make more money when all the iclones leave att and jump on the vzw ship.

7. NVash

NVash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe Im alone here but Im about sick of all this 'stringing along'. Verizon may have seemingly shot itself in the foot years ago not getting the iPhone but now it has the Droid. I read online a few days ago that Android phones are actually outselling the iPhone and things are about to get interesting for smart phones. At this point if Apple doesnt kill this Exclusive deal and go over to Verizon its their own fault.