no internet over wifi

purity

Reaction score
my maxx connects to my home wifi just fine, but when i am at work i can connect to the wifi but not receive any internet connection at all. my wifi icon and my 4g icon are both greyed out in my notification bar and i receive no data even though it says i am connected to the network. if i open the browser, run an app, or attempt to sync it fails because there is no data coming from the wifi. if i turn off wifi my 4g works just fine so its strictly a wifi problem. i used to be able to connect to the company wifi just fine on my maxx, and i can still connect to the wifi with my asus transformer tablet with no issues at all as can everyone elses cell phones and laptops, the problem can not be the wifi it seems only limited to my razr maxx. the tech support says the phone is definitely connected to the wifi because they can ping it on the network and everything looks good, but no internet connectivity on my phone still. it used to work but now it doesnt, any ideas? ive tried forgetting the network and relogging in as well as rebooting the phone and no luck. any help is appreciated, thanks.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Try using a wifi re-associate app.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2.

SallyC

Reaction score
When you are connected to the network, are you getting an outside IP? I mean, does it start with something like 192.xxx or is it 162.xxx. The later is not giving you Internet access but only on their network.

Have you tried removing (as in Forget, not just disconnect) the connection and adding it again?

OP
purity

purity

Reaction score
the wifi reassociate doesnt seem to be doing anything for me but i dont know what im doing with it really. yes ive tried forgetting the network and re adding it again but to no avail. my ip begins with 192.xxx when i pull up the browser i will get the google homepage logo but nothing beyond that will load and i get the webpage unavailable error screen. thanks for the help guys.

SallyC

Reaction score
Hmmm. Have you tried going into Manage Apps and clearing the data and cache?

OP
purity

purity

Reaction score
i have not. what app/cache would i be clearing exactly? thanks again.

DocsDad

Reaction score
Funny, I just noticed the same thing sitting at the airport's open wifi. Wifi and 4G turn gray and won't connect data. Turn off wifi, and 4G turns blue and good to go. Must be a Verizon glitch as I never had this happen before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

eddie7

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me last week. I was staying at a hotel near Disney Land. It was an open wifi as well with strong signal. But the indicator was grey and would never connect to the internet.

DocsDad

Reaction score
I am home now and wifi and data are working seem less together. Weird.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
i have not. what app/cache would i be clearing exactly? thanks again.

You spoke of your browser so I'm assuming you can connect with other apps? If it's your browser, from your home screen go Menu>Manage Apps>All and select Browser. Then Clear Data and Clear Cache. Hopefully if there's something funky going on with your wifi and browser that will flush it out. But it sounds like some others have posted a similar problem that just resolved itself, so maybe that's not it.

Hope it works!

OP
purity

purity

Reaction score
You spoke of your browser so I'm assuming you can connect with other apps? If it's your browser, from your home screen go Menu>Manage Apps>All and select Browser. Then Clear Data and Clear Cache. Hopefully if there's something funky going on with your wifi and browser that will flush it out. But it sounds like some others have posted a similar problem that just resolved itself, so maybe that's not it.

Hope it works!
no i said in my original post its everything, apps, browser, sync, nothing is receiving data over wifi.

strange thing when i got in to work this morning my wifi icon was blue and no longer greyed out but i still couldnt receive any data. then i tried disconnecting and reconnecting and it was greyed out again. this is getting annoying.

im starting to think since others are having this issue with public wifi but not there home wifi it must be a particular type of wifi setup/signal whatever that the razr does not like. my home wifi works perfect, work wifi does not. i have not tried any open public connections.

Last edited:

jjstiff

Reaction score
Re: Droid RAZR MAXX cannot connect on wifi

I was having the same problem. Brand new Razr Maxx, when I tried to connect to my wifi: it obtained an IP address but could not connect through the browser.

dancedroid Solved: On my router settings I changed the wireless security from WPA/WPA2 to WPA only.

My router is a NetGear WRN2000 on version 1.2.3.7NA. When I tried WPA2 by itself or WPA/WPA2 the phone was unable to connect to the internet with Wifi Enabled.

I forget why I ever enabled WPA2 but i think there was a reason. I need WPA because my linux's realtek wireless card does not support WPA2. That's why I had WPA/WPA2 enabled on the router. Soon enough, I am sure, I will find out which device used WPA2. I already had to tell my Windows Vista to use WPA and not WPA2.

I had the build number 6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M2-5, Dec 28, 2011 installed. A bit to my surprise my brand new phone is actually more than 5 months old. Since then there has been a software update: so I updated to build 6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M3-8, Mar 8, 2012 (System Version 6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US). Unfortunately, the problem still exists: I can only connect when my router is set to WPA but not WPA/WPA2. :cus:

This is a problem that I hope Motorola/Verizon resolve. I notice that they have been tackling software issues with the wifi since the launch of the MAXX. I hope this becomes part of their issues.

Reaction score
jjstiff said:
I was having the same problem. Brand new Razr Maxx, when I tried to connect to my wifi: it obtained an IP address but could not connect through the browser.

dancedroid Solved: On my router settings I changed the wireless security from WPA/WPA2 to WPA only.

My router is a NetGear WRN2000 on version 1.2.3.7NA. When I tried WPA2 by itself or WPA/WPA2 the phone was unable to connect to the internet with Wifi Enabled.

I forget why I ever enabled WPA2 but i think there was a reason. I need WPA because my linux's realtek wireless card does not support WPA2. That's why I had WPA/WPA2 enabled on the router. Soon enough, I am sure, I will find out which device used WPA2. I already had to tell my Windows Vista to use WPA and not WPA2.

I had the build number 6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M2-5, Dec 28, 2011 installed. A bit to my surprise my brand new phone is actually more than 5 months old. Since then there has been a software update: so I updated to build 6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M3-8, Mar 8, 2012 (System Version 6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US). Unfortunately, the problem still exists: I can only connect when my router is set to WPA but not WPA/WPA2. :cus:

This is a problem that I hope Motorola/Verizon resolve. I notice that they have been tackling software issues with the wifi since the launch of the MAXX. I hope this becomes part of their issues.

Interesting...I have no problems with WPA2 at home or at work.

jjstiff

Reaction score
Maybe it's Netgear WRN2000 v1 only...

Well, I went to do laundry today and, to my surprise, I was able to connect to the WPA/WPA2 network. It turns out they even have the same router. However the difference is that mine is not labeled with a version but theirs is the WRN2000 v2. So this whole issue could be inherent to the routers in use. Again, I would recommend setting your router to WPA only if you are having the problem of aquiring an IP but not able to connect to the internet.

RazrMaxxOwner

Reaction score
I had this problem with home Wireless n connection switched to wps and that fixed it. Wps is individual to phone. ..