no internet over wifi

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by purity, Mar 29, 2012.

1. purity

purity New Member

my maxx connects to my home wifi just fine, but when i am at work i can connect to the wifi but not receive any internet connection at all. my wifi icon and my 4g icon are both greyed out in my notification bar and i receive no data even though it says i am connected to the network. if i open the browser, run an app, or attempt to sync it fails because there is no data coming from the wifi. if i turn off wifi my 4g works just fine so its strictly a wifi problem. i used to be able to connect to the company wifi just fine on my maxx, and i can still connect to the wifi with my asus transformer tablet with no issues at all as can everyone elses cell phones and laptops, the problem can not be the wifi it seems only limited to my razr maxx. the tech support says the phone is definitely connected to the wifi because they can ping it on the network and everything looks good, but no internet connectivity on my phone still. it used to work but now it doesnt, any ideas? ive tried forgetting the network and relogging in as well as rebooting the phone and no luck. any help is appreciated, thanks.
  2. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

Try using a wifi re-associate app.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2.
  3. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

When you are connected to the network, are you getting an outside IP? I mean, does it start with something like 192.xxx or is it 162.xxx. The later is not giving you Internet access but only on their network.

Have you tried removing (as in Forget, not just disconnect) the connection and adding it again?
  4. purity

purity New Member

the wifi reassociate doesnt seem to be doing anything for me but i dont know what im doing with it really. yes ive tried forgetting the network and re adding it again but to no avail. my ip begins with 192.xxx when i pull up the browser i will get the google homepage logo but nothing beyond that will load and i get the webpage unavailable error screen. thanks for the help guys.
  5. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Have you tried going into Manage Apps and clearing the data and cache?
  6. purity

purity New Member

i have not. what app/cache would i be clearing exactly? thanks again.
  7. DocsDad

DocsDad New Member

Funny, I just noticed the same thing sitting at the airport's open wifi. Wifi and 4G turn gray and won't connect data. Turn off wifi, and 4G turns blue and good to go. Must be a Verizon glitch as I never had this happen before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums
  8. eddie7

eddie7 Member

The same thing happened to me last week. I was staying at a hotel near Disney Land. It was an open wifi as well with strong signal. But the indicator was grey and would never connect to the internet.
  9. DocsDad

DocsDad New Member

I am home now and wifi and data are working seem less together. Weird.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums
  10. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

You spoke of your browser so I'm assuming you can connect with other apps? If it's your browser, from your home screen go Menu>Manage Apps>All and select Browser. Then Clear Data and Clear Cache. Hopefully if there's something funky going on with your wifi and browser that will flush it out. But it sounds like some others have posted a similar problem that just resolved itself, so maybe that's not it.

Hope it works!
  11. purity

purity New Member

no i said in my original post its everything, apps, browser, sync, nothing is receiving data over wifi.

strange thing when i got in to work this morning my wifi icon was blue and no longer greyed out but i still couldnt receive any data. then i tried disconnecting and reconnecting and it was greyed out again. this is getting annoying.

im starting to think since others are having this issue with public wifi but not there home wifi it must be a particular type of wifi setup/signal whatever that the razr does not like. my home wifi works perfect, work wifi does not. i have not tried any open public connections.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  12. jjstiff

jjstiff New Member

Re: Droid RAZR MAXX cannot connect on wifi

I was having the same problem. Brand new Razr Maxx, when I tried to connect to my wifi: it obtained an IP address but could not connect through the browser.

dancedroid Solved: On my router settings I changed the wireless security from WPA/WPA2 to WPA only.

My router is a NetGear WRN2000 on version 1.2.3.7NA. When I tried WPA2 by itself or WPA/WPA2 the phone was unable to connect to the internet with Wifi Enabled.

I forget why I ever enabled WPA2 but i think there was a reason. I need WPA because my linux's realtek wireless card does not support WPA2. That's why I had WPA/WPA2 enabled on the router. Soon enough, I am sure, I will find out which device used WPA2. I already had to tell my Windows Vista to use WPA and not WPA2.

I had the build number 6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M2-5, Dec 28, 2011 installed. A bit to my surprise my brand new phone is actually more than 5 months old. Since then there has been a software update: so I updated to build 6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M3-8, Mar 8, 2012 (System Version 6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US). Unfortunately, the problem still exists: I can only connect when my router is set to WPA but not WPA/WPA2. :cus:

This is a problem that I hope Motorola/Verizon resolve. I notice that they have been tackling software issues with the wifi since the launch of the MAXX. I hope this becomes part of their issues.
  13. TheDroidURLookinFor

TheDroidURLookinFor Member

Interesting...I have no problems with WPA2 at home or at work.
  14. jjstiff

jjstiff New Member

Maybe it's Netgear WRN2000 v1 only...

Well, I went to do laundry today and, to my surprise, I was able to connect to the WPA/WPA2 network. It turns out they even have the same router. However the difference is that mine is not labeled with a version but theirs is the WRN2000 v2. So this whole issue could be inherent to the routers in use. Again, I would recommend setting your router to WPA only if you are having the problem of aquiring an IP but not able to connect to the internet.
  15. RazrMaxxOwner

RazrMaxxOwner New Member

I had this problem with home Wireless n connection switched to wps and that fixed it. Wps is individual to phone. ..
  16. Gary Stockdale

Gary Stockdale New Member

Wow, this has been happening to me a lot and it's really annoying. There seems to be a weird problem with connecting to WiFi. In a spot where my daughter's iPhone is getting reception just fine, I get gray 4G LTE, and somehow the WiFi seems not to access the internet. As another person said, I have no problem at my home WiFi, but it is spotty to bad elsewhere. Sometimes it works to turn off WiFi, but even then, sometimes the 4G will not turn blue, sometimes it will after I turn on and off the phone.

Other things: I was at a hotel in as Vegas with paid WiFi. Repeatedly, I lost not only connectivity on the internet, but I lost the ability to make calls or even text. I talked to Tech Support on my wife's iPhone (no problem with that), did a couple of manual hard resets (yuck) and the phone would work for a call or two, or a text, and then stopped working again. Once I left the hotel, no problem.

Neither Droid tech support nor Verizon would admit to having gotten these complaints from anyone else, and even sent me a message saying my problem had "been resolved," when that was not the case.

17. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

Try disabling mobile data while on wifi.
  18. johnanthonyhurst

johnanthonyhurst New Member

Connection problem

If you can connect in your home's wifi just fine and in other places not, while other phones would connect, the problem is in your phone. most probably with your phone's reception. In your home, there is no problem because the signal is good, but in other places there is because the wifi host is maybe far from you. It can also be due to the fact that the wifi you are connecting into is not recognized by your phone, try to create a network connection with these wifi connections to be recognized by your comouter, to do this, check this link for a guide and steps Internet mobile connection problem android | Techyv.com
  19. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I wish to offer several "other" possibilities for solutions, which point not to the phone but to older routers, old firmware and to different WIFI protocols as the culpret.

Many of the WIFI connectivity problems seen on our forums and elsewhere can be traced back to older routers with outdated firmware. Just like our computers and even our phones, routers also often require updates to their firmware to address known problems that affect connectivity, stability and speed, as well as quality of data transfers, and to better follow newer protocols. Some examples of this have proven the solution for users whose older phones would connect successfully to their trusty old router but the newer phones had problems.

It's easy to blame the new guy (i.e. new phone), on the block, after all, "things were fine until he showed up!" Well, in fact it's often the new guy, following the newer standards of particular protocols, or more closely following older standards that quickly reveals the shortcomings of the older equipment which either didn't follow protocol properly to begin with, or doesn't know how to manage communications with the newer, more versatile equipment.

Also as mentioned above, it can be the authentication for one or another security protocol. Furthermore, as also mentioned it can work with the protocol on one router but have a problem with another version of even the same router.

Many manufacturers take shortcuts to reduce manufacturing costs and increase profits. One way to cut costs is to use open source code for all or part of their device's firmware, thereby eliminating any licensing costs or cost of development to have programmers write it for them. This often times results in fragmented code that doesn't work well with equipment running with more strictly written licensed code, ending in some equipment working fine while others fail. Major manufacturers such as Motorola for instance, will avoid using fragmented open source code "snippets", instead coding to adhere to the strict guidelines of licensed protocols and standards. This means their equipment may be less accepting of the sloppy coding of the older routers.

To be sure your older router is giving the new guy a fair chance, visit your router manufacturer's website and check for updated firmware. Better than 70% of the time when I troubleshoot a connectivity issue with routers, I find that the firmware is outdated, and often by several generations of updates since they are usually still running the off-the-shelf firmware. Unfortunately at times that isn't enough to resolve the problem.

Sometimes in an attempt to be compatible with current and upcoming protocols, manufacturers will rush their product to market with a mish mash of code thrown together to work with the new protocol, even if it doesn't work well or follow the guidelines closely. This is most common with off-brand equipment manufactured in places like China. This will result in a newer device such as our phones trying to connect to the routers with poorly written code for the new protocol, when the same phone and router may talk quite nicely with an older protocol also on the same router.

In one recent example of this a member whose phone kept dropping connection to her B/G router decided to see what would happen if she set the router to B Only. Sure enough, the phone connected perfectly and all the connectivity problems went away.

Lastly, sometimes the compatibility issues are too great for the old and new equipment to play nicely and it's time to put the "old gray mare" out to pasture. Wireless routers manufactured today are faster, more reliable, and compatible with both old protocols and the new protocols of today that routers just a few years old may completely fail with. They also have better radios, better antennas, and more features for support of things like streaming of audio and video, and even connections to things like NAS and USB drives. The good thing is the cost of the newer routers is also less than what you likely paid for the one you have now.

In many cases doing nothing other than replacing an old router with a new one fixes all the problems being experienced. So before you give up on the phone and conclude that the new guy is the root of the problem, step back a moment and ask yourself if the router is up to date with firmware, is running the newer protocols properly, or if it may be time to bring all the equipment on the data path up to the same level of technology as your brand new, cutting edge phone.

FoxKat

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  20. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder Foxkat. I try to keep up with the firmware but when I read your post I realized that it's been a few months since I checked for an update. When I checked, sure enough there was one waiting.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.
Search tags for this page
android no data over wifi

android wifi connected but no internet

droid maxx wifi connected wont pull up internet
droid razr maxx will not connect to internet
droid razr will not connect to internet
droid rszr hd has wifi but will not load webpages
internet not working on android wifi
my droid razr maxx connects to home wifi but nothing outside
my droid razr maxx connects to wifi but will not connect to
phone connected to wifi but no internet
razor maxx, cant connect to internet