No % In Battery Notification possible?

droiddrums

Reaction score
Hello, Not sure if this was posted anywhere else, but i was looking for a way to remove the battery % in the notification icon. The Rom is amazing and great either way, perfectly working my d2g much better then it was before, thanks much for any help and the great rom!

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
The battery % is built into the rom. There is no way that I know of to remove it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

60lpsdf250

Reaction score
Hello, Not sure if this was posted anywhere else, but i was looking for a way to remove the battery % in the notification icon. The Rom is amazing and great either way, perfectly working my d2g much better then it was before, thanks much for any help and the great rom!

There is a way, but it takes quite a bit of hacking. It's android specific instead of rom specific. This pretty much works for any Android device. The battery icon (along with most other system related images) are in framework-res.apk and have the extension "png" (don't fart with any *.9.pngs, you'll be eating a sh1t sandwich and SBFing to fix). The battery pngs are called when Android need them (e.g. when your battery gets to 10%, the system will call the png entitled "stat_sys_battery_10.png" and display it in your notification bar).
You'll need to pull the framework-res.apk from you're phone's /system/framework folder (look around for how to do this on your system).
Once the apk is on your computer, extract /res folder to a devoted folder (keep it as simple as possible... it gets complex (at least for me it was)). APKs are renamed zip files and your archive program should be able open them. APKs are compiled into binary format and can't be edited unless you decompile the framework. That's not the case with image files. Any image file (except *.9.png) can be replaced without compiling a new framework.
Once extracted open the /res/drawable-hdp folderi. This is where the battery pngs reside. You can do whatever you want to the battery images, edit them and get rid of the % with Gimp (or PS), but that will be a lot of work. Better yet, just find a battery theme you like (I like Fission's o_O).
Once you've replaced the battery icons in drawable-hdpi, you'll have to replace this revised drawable-hdpi to the /res folder in the archive (the apk file). I'm on linux and that's pretty much by dragging and dropping... I'm not sure how to do that in winbloze (you'll have to figure that out by searching this forum).
You'll then need to push the revised Framework-res.apk to the root of the SD card.

Here's how I do it...

Make sure and save a copy of the original framework-res.apk you pulled from your device.

Command line:

• adb shell
  • su (if your not greeted with "#" (you'll have to be rooted))
  • mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system (this works for my d2g, should work for yours)
  • dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk

You'll be replacing a file used by the system (kind of nerve wracking)... Android don't like it. You might see a bunch of FCs or it might reboot automatically.

If you choose to pursue this endeavor, you'll find it is pretty time consuming. The guys that create these ROMs are to be commended. This is, I'm sure, a relatively easy task for them compared to the rest of the crap they have to accomplish in getting the ROM together (thanks Angel and Fenuxx).

You can see in the image, the battery icon is different than the original ROM (btw, I've installed AngelRom and not HeXan )

Last edited:
OP
droiddrums

droiddrums

Reaction score
Thank you for your replys!

Well I dont think I will be attempting this. The last part about fc's and what not I think I will leave the rom as it is.

The d2g needed a serious overhaul, Im probally not going to try any other rom for awhile. i used to with the d1 almost every day just flash another. But HeXen is by far the greatest thing ive run so far, the first rom i tried on my global and prolly going to be my last, I have better fps and 100mb more ram free at usually all times 347 of the 512 as compared to stock at 236mb usually.

HeXen runs amazing so i think ill stick with the % in the notification Icon and just sAY..... Thanks to the developers for this rom Im so happy i flashed this!!dancedroid

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Or, you can just try a metamorph. That's what I did to change battery icons, it's just kind of hard to find a stock one.

jmichaelm

Reaction score
Or, you can just try a metamorph. That's what I did to change battery icons, it's just kind of hard to find a stock one.

Metamorph makes this much easier. It automates the tricky business of copying data to the protected directories. If you can find a metamorph package of battery icons that look like what you want it's extremely easy. Just download the zip to your phone and install via metamorph.

If you can find something close to what you want you can download, extract the files, edit the graphics yourself, zip up the result and install. More work but enormous potential for customization.

Last edited:

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Do you want the same battery icons or something different?

OP
droiddrums

droiddrums

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for your reply, I tried your files, the d2g looks the d3 with a blue status bar and a green vertical gingerbread battery that has % in it. Do you have a way to make it the d3 battery and horizontal without %? The rom is great tho makes my d2g amazing

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I created some 10% increment battery icons some time ago for a cm7 theme I took apart (Hey, I don't like 20% increments). They are D3 style. They should be somewhere in one of these hexen threads, feel free to use them.

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I can take the percents out. you want the standing green battery?

OP
droiddrums

droiddrums

Reaction score
The horizontal droid 3 battery in green would be great.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Last edited: