No ICS update for atleast 2 months until around november

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
This is what happens when a company starts laying off a significant portion of their workforce. The same amount of work is now being spread across a thinner workforce. Add to that employee morale that is probably in the crapper, which turns into a "I'll get to it when I do" type of attitude.

The support rep probably just didn't care about your problem, and wanted to end the call and move onto the next (most support reps have call time as a performance metric). The developers working on the actual update are probably overworked and burned out. The extra energy they used to put into getting projects done one time is going into updating their resume so they can get out before they're kicked out.

Moto seems like a sinking ship right now, which isn't what I expected nearly a year after the google buyout was announced. I was hopeful that google would help step up their game, bring some of their culture into moto. Instead, they've built a wall between the two companies (to placate their other android partners), and basically told moto they were only interested in their IP (patent portfolio).

blowngtp

Reaction score
Was he really "reading it off the computer" or just said that he was? Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, news like this should be all over the web, but I can't find any. It's hard to believe it would be that easy to get a release window. Wouldn't that be betraying company confidentiality?

Still, I can't say it's wrong. When everyone was on .893, the .901 update came out OTA to a few. Droid Life said that .902 was the official update, based on an email a friend received. This was dismissed, but the OTA update was .902, not .901.

Take a look at Motorola Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich Update: Lessons Learned

Forget About Release Windows

Stop listening to companies when they talk about roll out windows for updates. It will get you nowhere. HTC and Verizon promised the HTC Rezound ICS update for June or July, It rolled out in August.

Motorola promised the Droid Bionic update for early Q3. We’re now in mid-August. This shows that these companies are willing to forsake these promised dates and not apologize for doing so.

Silence Isn’t Golden

Motorola and Verizon remain silent about the Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich roll out. In fact, they’ve stayed mum on the subject ever since it was announced. This is typical.
While owners possess a zillion questions about the release date or the software itself, carriers and manufacturers will generally keep owners out of the loop.

I find it interesting that if you try to go to Motorola Forums (with the "Early Q3" window) at https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c you get an error message about certificates.

Motorola and Verizon could very well either; not do anything at all, do ICS or skip to Jelly Bean. They will do whats in the best interest of their pockets and not what we may think.

CPKIII

Reaction score
DROID XYBOARD 8.2
USA
Development
Rollout begins in early Q3 2012.
DROID XYBOARD 10.1
USA
Development
ATRIX 2
Asia-Pacific, LATAM, USA, and selected other markets
Development
Rollouts begin in Q3 2012.
ATRIX 4G MB860
USA
Development
Rollout begins in Q3 2012.
DROID 4
USA
Development
DROID BIONIC
USA
Development
MOTOROLA XOOM 2
Asia Pacific, EMEA, and LATAM

Development
MOTOROLA XOOM 2 Media Edition
Asia Pacific, EMEA, and LATAM
Development
MOTOROLA XOOM Family Edition
USA
Development
MOTOROLA XYBOARD 8.2
USA
Development
MOTOROLA XYBOARD 10.1
USA
Development

Which of these have been updated already? And each one needs space...

wheeler062505

Reaction score
It would seem that all we can do at this point is just second guess the delivery of ics to the bionic.

Fokkerdmr

Reaction score
That's all we have ever been able to do. Sure lots of sleuthing going on, but only the development team knows the actual release schedule.

wheeler062505

Reaction score
Fokkerdmr said:
That's all we have ever been able to do. Sure lots of sleuthing going on, but only the development team knows the actual release schedule.

I wonder at this point if they even know.

Badger1313

Reaction score
CurGeorge8 said:
This is what happens when a company starts laying off a significant portion of their workforce. The same amount of work is now being spread across a thinner workforce. Add to that employee morale that is probably in the crapper, which turns into a "I'll get to it when I do" type of attitude.

The support rep probably just didn't care about your problem, and wanted to end the call and move onto the next (most support reps have call time as a performance metric). The developers working on the actual update are probably overworked and burned out. The extra energy they used to put into getting projects done one time is going into updating their resume so they can get out before they're kicked out.

Moto seems like a sinking ship right now, which isn't what I expected nearly a year after the google buyout was announced. I was hopeful that google would help step up their game, bring some of their culture into moto. Instead, they've built a wall between the two companies (to placate their other android partners), and basically told moto they were only interested in their IP (patent portfolio).

Regarding layoffs and plant closures, this refers to the low end phone market not the smart phones. Moto plans to focus on fewer models but higher end phones.

bufordtpisser

Reaction score
I honestly don't care when the OTA comes out. I have never since I got this phone on the first day of release been able to get an ota update. I have had to sideload every update since new. I am running ICS. 232 and it runs great. If the OTA never hits I would be happy to stay right where I am at. But when the OTA does hit I will let all of you test it out for me before I sideload it more than likely using the House of Bionic from SamuriHL. So stop whining for the OTA, if you want ICS load it. Enough people have done it now to prove it works.

wheeler062505

Reaction score
Bionic_Racer said:
Yeah i agree its stupid for people who are on gb still to complain about the wait for ota ics when they could just simply download it.
These people have been waiting a long time and will probably be waiting a while still.

The leaks are ics, they function the exact same way an ota would. Dont be afraid people. Gb is outdated, oh and it sucks too.

I for one am not whinning. I am running the latest gb and haven't had any problems. So if it comes, it comes and if it dont , it don't.

wheeler062505

Reaction score
wheeler062505 said:
I for one am not whinning. I am running the latest gb and haven't had any problems. So if it comes, it comes and if it dont , it don't.

Oh and btw, surprise, surprise not everyone has a computer and is tech savvy. I use my bionic as my computer and it has served me well.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys guys.. 238 is not perfect. I am waiting for the next leak.

I definitely miss flash and the ability to access my contacts from the dialer. Sucks, but oh well.

Update* ive been having sporatic volume issues since installing 238. Sometime ill go to play a video or listen to a song and itll be completely mute regardless of where the volume is set.

Ill have to either make a call or restart the phone to get the volume back.
The leaks are ics, they function the exact same way an ota would. Dont be afraid people. Gb is outdated, oh and it sucks too.

I'll wait for the OTA. I know that it'll be better than GB (just as Froyo was better than Eclair on the OG Droid), but the phone works fine for me and I'm in no hurry. Plus, it isn't just a matter of installing ICS; there are several leaks, each with its own peccadilloes. If I was anxious I would install a leak (more likely .232). I did that on my OG Droid for Froyo, but it was not a leak or a patch, but a full install.

Last edited:

nomadh

Reaction score
I honestly don't care when the OTA comes out. I have never since I got this phone on the first day of release been able to get an ota update. I have had to sideload every update since new. I am running ICS. 232 and it runs great. If the OTA never hits I would be happy to stay right where I am at. But when the OTA does hit I will let all of you test it out for me before I sideload it more than likely using the House of Bionic from SamuriHL. So stop whining for the OTA, if you want ICS load it. Enough people have done it now to prove it works.

For me it depends on the time. If its 2 weeks away I'll wait but if its 2 months then maybe I should go for it with .232
Compound that with its at least partly a company phone. If I were to brick it neither of us would be getting me a new one. That for sure. Add on that its actually a decent phone. It mostly works for me. If the ota was just around the corner then its crazy to go around verizon. So thats where I'm stuck.

Droidram56

Reaction score
Does your company's security policy have any restrictions on modifying the phone if it is used to connect to company data and networks? Do they manage the device in any way?

CBMGGM

Reaction score
Get a Galaxy Nexus instead; I'm running a custom JB Rom, smooth as butter. Had a Bionic for 7 months; now I'm unlocked and in rom heaven.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
CBMGGM said:
Get a Galaxy Nexus instead; I'm running a custom JB Rom, smooth as butter. Had a Bionic for 7 months; now I'm unlocked and in rom heaven.

Not everyone can get a nexus if u dont have a bionic go to the nexus thread plus most people love there bionic my for instance after some modifications beats the crap out of the nexus an is almost on par with the asus transformer prime performance wise here are some benchmark pics from quadrant and antutu

View attachment 54952

View attachment 54951

View attachment 54953