no hacks working for me (noob)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ucpro, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ucpro

ucpro New Member

i've rooted my droid 2.0.1, the only way i can tell that it works is that i can use the root only apps. other than that i can't get anything working. i've used the adb push commands to try and change my bootanimation (no go) i've tried to install busybox, and apparently it's supposed to show copyright info after u put in the last command (no go).

I tried to take the easy way and use droid explorer, and I can't delete or overwrite anything so that's a no go also..i haven't even gotten into the nandroid thing since i'm still a little confused on that

what's the deal, i have usb debugging on, mount my sd card (which i don't think should matter), and i follow the directions for adb pushing to the tee

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. blackngray70

blackngray70 New Member

3. ucpro

ucpro New Member

how do i know if it all worked. it says i need nandroid to make a backup, should i have done that first before going through installing busybox, recovery etc?
  4. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Uc,

I added some more info in your nandroid queries in the other thread.

Ideally it might have been nice to have had a nandroid backup as early in the game as you thought you might have wanted to go back to. Unless you think you want to go back to 2.0.1 unrooted, and have not documented any filing naming you have done, the nandroid backup is only life or death for the folks moving on to custom roms, or folks using 2.0.1 rooted, who are "messing" with the files on their phone.

At this point, I have not switched to 2.1, but I am staying current with the recovery images as they come out, and making lots of backups. All the nandroid does, and it is critical, is get your phone back to where you had it stable when you made the backup on your phone. So go ahead and get the phone to where you want to call it stable, before trying 2.1, and nandroid back it up. Use the custom backup options and you can play with different levels of "stable". I.E. this backup before messing with animations. This backup before messing with themes. This backup before trying 2.1. and etc.

I hope I expalined it well enough.

Craig
  5. ucpro

ucpro New Member

ok i think i got it to where i want since i got that busybox and stuff installed, i'm on 2.1 already and everything seems stable, now i just gotta back it all up