No Gmail Connection

Dizzy

Reaction score
Please help. My Gmail will not connect to Google. It tries to refresh but eventually informs me that there is "No connection!" I've retried over and over. I started to remove the account and then add it back, but doing that will reset my phone to factory settings. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Droidfish

Reaction score
Hmm... have you recently made any modifications to your phone? The first thing I would try is to clear the app data & cache.

Go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications then hit Menu>Filter>All and scroll down, there should be 2 gmail apps in the list. go into each and clear the data and cache. Then try to sync gmail again.

Hope this helps

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please help. My Gmail will not connect to Google. It tries to refresh but eventually informs me that there is "No connection!" I've retried over and over. I started to remove the account and then add it back, but doing that will reset my phone to factory settings. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Have you tried simply turning your Droid off and back on? The no connection thing could be that you may need to do a *228 option 1. It could also be something wrong with your gmail set up. Double check that.

Resetting to factory settings is not that big of a deal. You would just need to sign into everything again.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Hmm... have you recently made any modifications to your phone? The first thing I would try is to clear the app data & cache.

Go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications then hit Menu>Filter>All and scroll down, there should be 2 gmail apps in the list. go into each and clear the data and cache. Then try to sync gmail again.

Hope this helps

This deffinitely worked for me when i had that issue after returning from rooted back to stock and then to the 2.1 update.

You have to give it some time tho after you clear the cache and data for it to sync, i did it before i went to sleep and the next morning it was good as new.

OP
D

Dizzy

Reaction score

Have you tried simply turning your Droid off and back on? The no connection thing could be that you may need to do a *228 option 1. It could also be something wrong with your gmail set up. Double check that.

Resetting to factory settings is not that big of a deal. You would just need to sign into everything again.

If I reset to factory settings, won't my pictures and other data (Word docs, music, etc) be deleted? And, I'd have to download any apps that I've downloaded since November, right?

OP
D

Dizzy

Reaction score

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. I tried the *228 call. It doesn't seem to have helped. I'm going to clear the app data & cache next. I can't think of any modifications.....I've recently downloaded the Bump app, but other than that, I can't think of anything. Apps are about the only thing that would have been changed other than general data usage. I don't hack or do anything too amazing with my phone. Primarily use it to facebook, email, calendar, do to list, photos, message, and make calls. I'll let you know if the clearing works!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If I reset to factory settings, won't my pictures and other data (Word docs, music, etc) be deleted? And, I'd have to download any apps that I've downloaded since November, right?

You would lose any data on the phone itself but not anything that is in your SD card. So if you saved everything it will be on your SD card and will not get wiped.

You would not have to download your applications again either. That only happens when you do a hard factory data reset. Doing it from the privacy section or the way you're suggesting will not cause this.

OP
D

Dizzy

Reaction score
The clearing of data and cache worked - pretty quickly, too! Thanks for all of your advice.

Thanks, Hook! I really appreciate the resetting info!

mudrunninpig

Reaction score
Thanks for your help fellas, I had the same issue this morning and your suggestions did the trick.

Last edited:

Marine Corp Mom

Reaction score
The same problem showed up on my phone last night. I decided not to deal with it til now and before dealing with anyone at Tech Support, I thought Id look here first. Glad I went with my first instinct. Cleared Data and Cache, I was back in business in a few minutes.
You guys rock dancedroid