No free apps auto download after FRF84B from FRF57. What's wrong ?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tahdor, Jul 9, 2010.

1. tahdor

tahdor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just installed FRF84B (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/55467-even-more-froyo.html#post591676). I was running Froyo 57. When I installed froyo 57, all my setting and free apps got downloaded automatically. But then I installed FRF84B, nothing got downloaded, not even settings. I have to download apps manually and have to do settings (Ringers, alarms, ...etc) manually. But I want to make sure that it doesn't happen next time.

What could be wrong ? I have checked, 'Background data' and "Auto-Sync' are enabled in settingis->Account & Sync.

Any tips.
    Thanks

2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Tah,

I have been doing this since day one, and only had this happen once very early on with a 2.0.1 Rom. What has worked perfectly for me since is:

1) Wipe and factory reset each time, several times prior to flashing
    2) Google sync prior to flashing
    3) Titanium Backup prior to flash (although I have yet to need it)

And 4), the most important imho, I never flash a new rom upon initial release. There are lots of folks who will, and if you can wait a few pages worth of eager flashers, any major problems typically shake out pretty early, especially market issues.

Craig

3. tahdor

tahdor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did wipe, several times.
    How do I do a manual sync ?
    I tried Titanium backup and restore, but then the apps did not get registered to the market i.e. the updates were not reported.

4. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When you wiped, did you also do a factory reset? I always do this, and honestly the amount of time I have saved by not having issues has far exceeded the amount of time I need to set my phone up again. I think.

As to manual sync, I place the stock power widget on my phone screen, and press the sync button. You should see the 3g show transmitting and receiving data. I should also mention that when I factory reset, I never check the boxes to let google auto sync all of my data and position. I like the power widget to control when google gets to "cloud" me. Of course if you need gmail syncing, your mileage will vary. At least with the power widget, you can turn on and off to force a sync just prior to flashing. You can accomplish the same thing in your settings menu, I just find the widget a little faster, plus when you reflash you can easliy throw all the switches for gps, wifi, sync and even back lighting to check everything right at point of reflash.

No help on Titanium, as I have never been forced to use it for global installs of everything. Most folks report it does not break market updates, but obviously you have found differently. This has always worried me, hence the other reason that whenever I install any rom I reset.

Sorry man. You are experiencing my greatest fear when flashing a new rom, busted market, and unfortunately it seems to get everyone at some point.

Craig

5. tahdor

tahdor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply ?
    I do a wipe data using SP recovery. I did *not* do a factory reset. I will try it. Should I do factory reset before the flash or after the flash. ? I.e. Factory-Reset, then boot into sprecovery and then flash ?

First I tried, Boot into SP Recovery, flash and boot. This went to a loop.

Then I tried, Boot into SP Recovery, flash and wipe then boot. But when phone came up, the apps didn't download.

Then I tried SP Recovery, then wipe, again wipe data, then flash, again wipe, then reboot, the apps didn't download.

So what sequence should I try. I can take a nandroid back up. and Try flash sequence. Should I try Factory reset, then when it is booting, hold X, to boot into SP Recovery, and flash and then boot ?

I also keep stock power widget. It is very useful. I keep the sync always on. But as you suggested, I will throw it off and then on for a manual sync.
    I also read that Titanium back up updates market links as well. But it didn't.
    Anyway it took about 2 hrs of app restore manually, that is while watching TV. But I would like to avoid it.

6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Tah,

I may get a little lost here, as it has been a while since I used sprecovery. I do think there is a factory reset option there, as I do remember doing this way back when. What I recommend, and it is what I do in CW/Rom manager, is to boot into recovery, and perform all wipes (all partitions, data system boot all of them), several times, and while still in recovery factory reset if it is still an option. Then without rebooting, install the new rom. You can scroll around the various pages in SPrecovery without having to reboot. The goal is to wipe everything and reset, then update all without a reboot until you are done.

This will mean that you will have to set up homescreens, email accounts etc. but it is the surest way to upgrade to a new rom without problems. Most of the dev's or at least the thread replies in a new rom version will discuss which version to version situations require a full wipe, and which may not be needed, but to date it has been a bucketload of flashes and roms since I lost market by nuking everything first.

And I am assuming you have all of your apps back on the phone now, one thing I might also suggest is perhaps set up a new phone contact (even a bogus one), and sync with google. Try logging your gmail on the pc to see if the contact was picked up by google. This, and seeing your apps in Market, menu, my dowloads should confirm that you do not have a problem on the google side with your account.

Craig

7. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I experienced something similar too. One of my phones appeared to have difficulty to get the market update downloaded automatically. At the end, I did the manual download and put the "mishap" behind.

Now looking back I think there must be certain algorithm the OS (2.2) follows so the download can be triggered. On the phone mentioned above, I happened to downgrade it back to 2.0.1 prior to applying the 2.2 ROM. First, I downgraded the phone to 2.0.1 stock. When it came back, it picked up OTA right away so it was 2.1. I downloaded apps from the market. I ran only a few of them before the regular steps: sprecovery.sbf, p3d-frf84b-release and its market fix patch. Now I am on 2.2 root. For a long time the only app it picked up automatically was twitter. Yes, I wiped the cache and data as instructed. I did the same things to the other phones. One more thing, on this very one, I wiped out the sd card too.

Therefore, I suspect the algorithm involved in determining "installed app". What's it looking for? I dont know.

I think this is a minor inconvenience given the entire user experience with this 2.2/root is so positive. If developers are reading this forum, they certainly can tell us more about what I had missed.

my 2c.

8. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    TM,

You guess is as good as any. I cannot recall a single new rom thread where at least one poor soul did not lose market. Sometimes the rom is really bad and breaks it for a lot of folks, but there are so many variables, no way a dev. who has one phone and perhaps a few folks to beta on can guarantee anything. Toss in market apps that may not be up to the latest release, and all bets are off. All I know is a few more apps, and I am gonna look for a way to at least get a list:)

Craig

Search tags for this page

free whoshere hacks

whosehere download