"No Defaults set" No selection possible

Wolvee

Reaction score
SCH-I535

A: 4.3

Kernal

Problem: Multiple types of apps giving me the standard, "Which app do you want/Set Default apps by.." notification. After navigating to settings/App manager/All//Apps in Question, Under {Launch by default} it says "No Defaults set" and the "Clear defaults" button is un selectable.

It does it with all Apps that have multiple choices, Internet, text, Home theme apps etc.

The device has had this issue about as long as I can remember but since I don't use it often, I just ignored it. After searching it seems most any thread discussing Default App settings is just instructions on how to set the default. Which I've concluding is not my issue.

Thanks in advance.
W.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused. When you have multiple apps like more than one browser and you tap a link in an E-Mail (only as an example) does it not pop up asking what app you want - either always or just once and options?

OP
Wolvee

Wolvee

Reaction score
I get the "option" every time and when I go to the setting to set the defaults, nothing is selectable. There isn't even a button that's clickable to clear any defaults.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Still confused. If you are getting the option, what if anything are you selecting? You would need something to be a default before you could clear a default.

OP
Wolvee

Wolvee

Reaction score
Maybe pictures will help. I'm having a hard time explaining this seemingly simple problem for some reason.

After getting this screen and going to Task manager, I still can not select Set default :
924d092a-7edb-4f0f-b02d-96267bd8e855_zps2cdbcad2.png
67cdcfc5-384b-4617-bd61-c0827e229374_zps7851e080.png

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I still feel we have a communications problem as some of my questions and commecnts have not been fully answered. You can not clear defaults when there are no defaults to clear. Maybe I'm missing something........

OP
Wolvee

Wolvee

Reaction score
Nothing lets me set the default. So I want Gallery to open my pictures, Chrome to be my default browser...etc It tells me to clear the default in order to select a default but since I can't clear it, I can't set it. I'm stuck in a android temporal anomaly. :)

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
The way this option works is it will pop-up the selections when you attempt to complete an action with multiple applications that can do the job. If you select one of the actions and tell it to do this with the"ALWAYS" button....it will remember that selection. The picture of the pop up you posted was what you need to do...If you ever change your mind and no longer want the phone to run that app when you try to complete the action in the future. Also...the second picture you posted is the wrong location to clear the settings you are describing...you want to use the option under your task manager to resolve this.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Whatever app is actually being used to open something that you don't want to use is the one that should provide you with a clear defaults but you may need to also clear settings and cache, force stop and restart. Depend on the app. Try one-by-one.

In the case of your screen shot it may be clear data.

OP
Wolvee

Wolvee

Reaction score
The problem is it doesn't remember my "always" selection and going to the task manager doesn't reset or clear any defaults.

Edit to clarify: Once I clear the app from the task managers list of defaults, the next time it asks me to make an "only once" or "always" choice, it doesn't remember the selection.

It always gives me a choice every time.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Then this is a common software issue after being updated. You will need to reflash your phone using Kies after you back up your data. It may take a few tries to get it right just so you know

OP
Wolvee

Wolvee

Reaction score
Ok, thank you for your patience and help. I'll update when I make some progress.