No data issues lately.. WTF!?

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
OK.. So I've probably been the #1 pain in VZ's tail end since my acquisition of a bionic with major data issues. Got sent a replacement, and a replacement sim card, multiple tickets ETC. As if by magic the last few days (since VZW gave me a green light on getting a rezound) I've only had Two data drops.. both the next day after my little green light. I've made some slight changes... Via the thread about locking down the stock data management.. I killed it manually several times, and finally got it to stay dead. I've been in 3G only (including my home 4G fringe zone) and.. dare I say, have not lost data ONCE since I got data mgmt to stay dead from my running processes! Obviously I have not power cycled my phone since in fear of losing my seemingly permanently dead management system lol. Aside from that, I have locked into CDMA only, but that has never fixed the data drops before. Almost makes me wanna hang on to the bionic for the development community here! If the Rezound get's S-OFF before I get a call from VZW about shipping my rezound, yeah I probably won't hesitate... as it stands now, what do you all think? =/ I'm at a loss for words with a properly functioning bionic.. well y'know.. data wise, still get install errors and insufficient memory all the time, but I can live with that I have unlimited data, so multiple downloads doesn't hurt me :p

onebigunion

Reaction score
I haven't had many drops on my phone, maybe once per day on average that I can fix with airplane toggle. But last couple days absolutely none and that's been moving in and out of LTE and weak signal areas. Haven't made any changes

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Me too. The last few days gave been smooth after many weeks of data drops...

OP
R

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
well now.. that IS interesting. And it's not like we're in the same markets or anything either. I'm completely at a loss now...

shaggykid

Reaction score
Well I'm not complaining maybe they finally fixed all the bugs

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

nateohio

Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with the updates verizon pushed out to some 4Glte markets this week. That could confirm that it's mostly a network issue and not necessarily a phone issue like many have said.

OP
R

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
that's a thought Nate, I had no idea they were pushing firmware updates to the towers. I wonder if we can turn up a list of updated markets...

still I really question it being a network and not a phone issue, when the newest LTE phones (a.k.a. Nexus and Rezound) Are not yet reporting drops.. granted it's hard to say 100% on the nexus since it's not in the general public hands yet.

nateohio

Reaction score
I'm not discounting the fact that the phone plays a role, but I'm a firm believer that many of the issues being reported can be contributed to the network also. I've had my bionic locked on 3G for the last 3 days and haven't had 1 data drop, and before I did that I was getting 1 or 2 a day. I definitely think the 3G/4G hand off is a software issue with the Bionic which, at least for me, was fixed with the later builds available from the cheesecake servers.

I should note that early last week, I returned to the 886 build because of the "invite" I received. An invite that I'm very much considering giving up on because it's taking too damn long.

OP
R

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
same here nate. In the past even locking into CDMA did not stop the data drops for me however. So I'm VERY interested in these tower updates lol. I'm afraid to take my phone off of CDMA for fear of getting drops again even next time I lock into CDMA only haha.

B

bens42608

I, too believe it is a network problem and not a bionic problem. The razr has also had this problem. 4g is still fairly new and quirky... people just over react... eventually it will probably have the kinks worked out and people will look back and think everyone was being silly by hating the bionic. Just my 2 pennies and I love my bionic.

bbtkd

Reaction score
that's a thought Nate, I had no idea they were pushing firmware updates to the towers. I wonder if we can turn up a list of updated markets...

I believe you will find the wireless providers reluctant to give any specifics about network updates simply because disclosing this info to the unwashed masses would create a frenzy of customers clamoring for or complaining about updates. With the phones in our hands they can't hide those updates, but I bet they would not want to extend that sense of ownership to their towers. Also, the wireless providers have to each have some "special sauce" to differentiate them, and part of that would be their tower setups.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I'm not discounting the fact that the phone plays a role, but I'm a firm believer that many of the issues being reported can be contributed to the network also. I've had my bionic locked on 3G for the last 3 days and haven't had 1 data drop, and before I did that I was getting 1 or 2 a day. I definitely think the 3G/4G hand off is a software issue with the Bionic which, at least for me, was fixed with the later builds available from the cheesecake servers.

I should note that early last week, I returned to the 886 build because of the "invite" I received. An invite that I'm very much considering giving up on because it's taking too damn long.

same invite, same delay, wtf?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jughead75

Reaction score
About a week ago my data issue was its all time worst. No data for an entire day and toggling airplane mode or multiple reboots did nothing. From the next day on I have had nearly zero data issues. In fact there is only one instance I can remember when my data was out for a few seconds and the trouble cleared on its own. This leads me to believe that our data troubles are more a Verizon Network problem than a problem with our handsets. Still looking forward to the update though.

onebigunion

Reaction score
Well unfortunately my bionic is experiencing the worst network drops in its history as opposed to being perfect yesterday