NJ Droid Owner

Reaction score
(fairly) new member here with a 2 week old MotoDroid. I'm a bit of a tech geek so the phone and I get along pretty well. The phone itself is pretty nice, decent build (the volume rocker feels like it's about to fall off), awesome screen, good sound quality, solid keyboard. But one thing that has me on the fence about the phone is how 'incomplete' the OS and UI feels. I appreciate the fact that the OS is open and unregulated/restricted but the fact that i have to download apps to get the phone to do basic functions that "dumb phones" do on their own is somewhat frustrating. Frustrating in the sense that since these apps are made by developers apart from Google some of them have been either crashing the phone, making it lag, or causing conflicts with other apps.

Well thats my Wednesday morning rant (and introduction). I love the forum and the members here!

Last edited:
OP
certifiedfryguy
Reaction score
Figured i'll update this.. I switched from a Moto Droid to the HTC Droid Eris. I cant be happier. All my gripes with the Moto, HTC took care of with the sense ui on the Eris. This little phone is solid..

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Figured i'll update this.. I switched from a Moto Droid to the HTC Droid Eris. I cant be happier. All my gripes with the Moto, HTC took care of with the sense ui on the Eris. This little phone is solid..

I'm glad your happy. When I switched from my iPhone I debated between the HTC Eris and Moto Droid. I chose the Moto. I've been very pleased. Frankly, this phone blows the iPhone away.

I'm curious what basic functions you were not able to perform.

Mike

OP
certifiedfryguy
Reaction score
To be honest i forget everything.. I think i was just frustrated about the whole phone overall. Off hand lack of popup or any decent notifications of a missed call or messages, browser issues, gallery and media player issues. I went back to my LG dare for a few days then I decided to get an eris off contract just in case i wanted to switch to At&T in the near future. I'm happy I got the eris..

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
To be honest i forget everything.. I think i was just frustrated about the whole phone overall. Off hand lack of popup or any decent notifications of a missed call or messages, browser issues, gallery and media player issues. I went back to my LG dare for a few days then I decided to get an eris off contract just in case i wanted to switch to At&T in the near future. I'm happy I got the eris..

The important thing is that you are satisfied with a device. As I mentioned earlier, I had an iPhone. I left because of AT&T's horrendous service. I dropped more calls in seven months that I did in the previous seven years with VZW. Because I kept calling AT&T customer service they left me out of my contract without paying an early term fee which for my wife and me would have been $300.

Like you, I returned to an older phone but once you move to a smartphone a regular phone will not satisfy. Therefore, I purchased a Moto Droid.

I would suggest that you check with friends who may have AT&T to see how their service is before you switch. It definitely did not work for me.

Mike