Nikon Announces New Android Based Coolpix S800c Compact Camera

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Edognights, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Edognights

Edognights Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Nikon has announced a new android based camera called the S800c. This will be the first compact camera from major manufacturers to officially use the Android platform. Nikon's new 16mp BCI-CMOS compact camera sports a 10x, 25-250mm lens, and a 3.5" OLED touchscreen display. The device will be running Android 2.3 Gingerbread and will have full access to Google Play via Wifi. No official release date yet, but the device is expected to retail for $349.99. Check out the source link for the devices full specifications.

Thank to combatmedic870 for the tip.

Source: Dpreview
    2 people like this.
  2. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

Awesome. I wonder if it will come rooted. Soon Apple will build an iCam and sue Nikon so you'd better get this while you can.
    4 people like this.
  3. Brightonbrad

Brightonbrad New Member

Uh oh. That has rounded edges which apple holds the patent to. Be prepared to be sued nikon

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  4. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

I could understand using Android as the OS (like the Kindle/nook), but I don't know why they implemented it like they did Who is going to want to carry a digital camera around to play Angry Birds or what on it? It's over kill for something that you would purposely buy to take pictures with.
  5. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

Hope there aren't any stability issues, but as long as it's not messed with too much it should be fine.
  6. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

This has instagram written all over it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  7. AuxiliaryPie

AuxiliaryPie New Member

never understood why someone like Sony didnt just throw an Xperia phone inside of a point and shoot and sell it. i would totally be interested in a smart phone with a real camera. This could be huge for android, even if this one cant be used as a phone
  8. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

I read an article recently describing several new android cameras to come, this is just the first from Nikon. I've always wanted detachable lenses for my phone, I guess this is the best of both worlds. Imagine being able to sync your photos to Flickr, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box.net, and skydrive simultaneously due in part to built in WiFi, or being able to edit images right from your camera using the camera interface, or posting data to your photos like GPS information, and facial recognition. What about receiving camera updates to make your camera work better and faster, or even custom camera ROMs. My next camera will have to be Android powered.
  9. meaker

meaker New Member

Totally agree.. take a good snap and shoot with cell phone and android. It would be the best of both worlds imo.