Nice Little Convo I had with a Moto Technician about Bootloader

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by SanJuan, Jan 9, 2011.

1. slayer249

slayer249 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha your rant is gold, but the response is sadly way to typical. As a DX owner even with a locked bootloader I am not unsatisfied with the device and I still keep finding plenty to do with it, though I wont lie I would like the keys to the car.

2. Fate0n3

Fate0n3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Def agree with all of what you said especially the part of quoted. I think it is stupid so many people make a deal about the locked boot loader with devs still being able to provide what they can for this phone. Many do not even truly understand a locked bootloader. It would be really nice to have an open bootloader but it is not gonna happen and I hope the Bionic maybe does, but with moto line they have going now I doubt it will.

I came from ATT with a Captivate and I can honestly say I will NEVER own another Samsung device. They are too worried about producing newer devices then upgrading the ones they already have out. Most of the Galaxy S series is plagued with severe issues of GPS and extremely poor battery life. Mine would barely last a day with using my droid x more I last 2 days without worrying anymore. The quality of the of the Captivate was crap I felt like I had a $49.99 phone in my hand not the full $200 when I purchased it.

3. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    The problem with your car analogy, is that the phone, while you may have purchased it, still has to run on someone's network. And if they want to help lock down the chances of devices causing problems, or spreading malware or something to their network, they have a right to do that.

Just as when you mod your car, the DMV still has to inspect your car each year, and if you fail your inspection and they deem it "unsafe", they will pull your registration and your car will not be allowed on the road.

Here, there is no inspection process, it is handled electronically, and part of that process is locking things down.

I want freedom with my phone, but you don't have freedom with their network, and so they are taking steps to minimize their risk.

I do see both sides of the argument...

4. teh_g

teh_g Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do wish we had an unlocked bootloader. Sure, we can do a lot without being able to change kernels and such, but there is so much more you can do with full access. My fiance just got the Incredible, and I finally looked at CM and the features for that... I am jealous! I see both sides of the argument, and to me, the grass is greener on the unlocked bootloader side.

Search tags for this page

anne arroyo motorola

anne arroyo motorola email
bootloader mode on motorola devour using soft keys
greg.brown@motorola.com