Nice Knowing You. I'm moved on to the other side.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by nateccnn, Apr 14, 2010.

1. dbutters

dbutters Member

Ratings:
    +0

Also, Mama Dbutters is a saint. That Taco Bell went out of business because of the recession; it's ridiculous to imply that one person could eat an entire Taco Bell out of business. That's just a mean-spirited thing to say.

2. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My bad... I was just mad that I couldn't run for the border that day... I'm just a bitter taco-less man...

3. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Let's see...I just installed SPRecovery and used terminal emulator to install busybox. I did this to a stock 2.1 OTA ESE81 phone. I have root access. Am I not running the stock 2.1 anymore? Is it now a hacked version? I'm really confused.

Nate

4. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can you run SU in terminal emulator? I guess you could since you have to mount system as RW... now I'm confused... hmmm...

5. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Yes. And I just Overclocked.

Nate

6. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    And just in case anyone is still following the original topic. I am back to the dark side.

I followed the thread with instructions to use RSD Lite to flash an SBF. According to what I saw happen it installed SPRecovery on my phone. I then went into SDK Tools and pushed Busybox and added rw where I needed it. I then installed Admaz low voltage 800 mhz kernel and my phone is flying again. Still have the OTA 2.1 ESE81 theme. Able to install root apps. SetCPU is in full control I guess now I have the best of both worlds. Speed and utility!

Nate

7. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I saw on another thread that you had flashed the ESE81 sbf. Once you did that, you had root. I thought you had OTA updated and THEN installed SPrecovery. Sigh... now I'm tempted again... damn the draw of rooting!

8. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Ok...I could be totally off here...but I think we have some misunderstandings. I did not crack open the sbf file so this post is based on a lot of assumptions. Hopefully someone who knows a lot more than me will read this and correct me.

The SBF file I downloaded allowed me to install SPRecovery. I then had to use SDK Tools ADB commands to push Superuser.apk and Busybox to the phone, add the read write attributes, create the xbin directory to store these system files and gain root access. It was all done manually. My ROM did not change...allbeit, I may have flashed an identical rom without seeing it happen. It is entirely posible that I bliniked while I starred at the RSD Lite control. But I never saw anything related to a ROM being pushed to my phone. Just SPRecovery. SPRecovery allowed me to mount the directories I needed to modify.

So what I saw happen was I rooted my OTA 2.1 ESE81 that I accepted from Verizon a couple weeks ago.

I am not toally versed in ADB commands. But the commands I did understand were mostly creating directories, pushing files, installing apps and modify user rights. There were a couple commands I had no idea what it was doing. I may go back and read the notes later to figure it out.

As I said...without tearing into the SBF file I flashed with I can't say for sure it didn't have a ROM installed in it. I truely think I pushed a version of SPRecovery that works with 2.1ESE81 and that was all it did.

Anyone know for sure?

Nate

9. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Correct u are sir. I downgraded back to 2.0.1 and accepted the 2.1 update from Verizon just to try this out the adb way. It works.

#57 jroc, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  10. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    for the sake of verification, i will have to do this... hahaha. I guess it's back to root!

11. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    ^And for extra verification, flash the SPRecovery sbf, then try to use an app that needs root to run.

12. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so all I did was take my bone stock ESE81 droid (stock 2.0.1 with OTA 2.1 update) and connected via ADB. typed 'su' and got permission denied. I can't install SPRecovery without su rights, so I still think you flashed the pre-rooted SBF.

nate or jroc, let me know if i'm doing it wrong...

BTW, if you downloaded the SBF that I directed you to, that was the pre-rooted version that Pete made.

#60 atlharry, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
Search tags for this page