Nice Knowing You. I'm moved on to the other side.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by nateccnn, Apr 14, 2010.

1. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    And then the real losers have to post useless bits of degrading garbage in a thread they clearly could have passed over for lack of interest. It's a conversation, ASS! I get to chose my topic and if the admins feel it is off-topic they get to move it. But you do not get to decide who and when I want to talk to. Does that hurt your feelings?

Nate

2. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I was sort of felling the same way...but it turns out there are quite a few who actually wanted to discuss this topic. And in my mind it has everything to do with rooting. Such as...I tried unrooting and trying to block my schedule right now so I have about 2 hours to re-root.

I'm just not happy with the laggyness of the 2.1 OTA. Most of the time it works great. But once in a while it just locks up on me for about 20 seconds...maybe a minute. Seems like long lists are hard to scroll through. More force closes than I've ever had to deal with.

I'm thinking I may flash the ESE81 rooted sbf file this afternoon to give it a whirl.

Now how is that info not relavent to rooters? Most have no desire to unroot but there are a few who are wondering if they should try it. I bit the bullet and tried and have posted my results hoping to save someone else a bit of time and energy. I posted this thread to see if others were trying 2.1 OTA so we could compare results. Isn't that what forums are about?

Nate

3. dbutters

dbutters Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to me, if you don't want the 'ridicule and banal questioning', why make an announcement? Just go back to stock and be happy. If OP didn't want any kind of input, they shouldn't have made a whole new thread announcing that they're going back to stock. I mean, what else would you expect to happen?

I don't really care one way or the other, but it doesn't make sense to me to put your opinion out there and then get upset when people question it.

4. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, the questioning is fine... why the ridicule? And usually, the nature of the questioning is the same as ridicule.

For example...

Why does your mom eat so damn much?

and

Ya mama is so big and fat that she can get busy
    with twenty-two burritos, but times are rough
    I seen her in the back of Taco Bell with handcuffs

...are pretty much the same thing.

Now the thread has been pretty civil up until fairly recently. You guys get tired of holding off on the *sshole comments?

PS. Since there's been a bit of drama surrounding plagiarism... The burrito line came from "The Pharcyde - Ya Mama". There CITED!

5. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    Obviously this is a pretty subjective topic and depends on the user of the phone and how they use it. I have to fight the urge to root all the time, b/c, for me, I don't really need to do it and it becomes a big time taker. I rooted once and added CM, but all it did (for me) was add eye candy, and honestly the whole phone moved slower. Wifi tethering is useful, but PDAnet with my laptop is sufficient for the few times I need it. Eye candy is just that, eye candy... and though you can do a lot more with custom ROM's in that department, I can sufficiently satisfy my eye candy A.D.D. with what's available to non-rooters. I have two very small kids and an exhausted wife and a career that has absolutely nothing to do with this stuff, so my smartphone is meant to simplify my life, not add another thing to the list... even if it's a thing I really enjoy messing with! :)

Now, having said that, I would root in a heartbeat if someone knew how to make the long-hold home button function turn into a more useful "alt-tab" feature - i.e. more than 6 and currently open processes. Haven't been able to find that and don't know if it's even possible, even with root access... but would be cool!

6. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    At this point I can't do without wifi tether and metamorph. Overclocking was nice but after running everything without OC I have to say my phone runs fine at stock speeds.

I'll never get rid of root access at this point, but is it possible to run wifi tether or metamorph with the stock ese81 rom?

7. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately no. They both need root access.

8. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm talking about keeping root access and forcing the 2.1 update

9. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think at this point, the only way to root the stock ese81 rom is to flash the rooted .sbf that's floating out there. You can then update with a kernel that includes wifi tether.

Here's a link to Pete's rooted SBF (stock with su only)
    http://alldroid.org/threads/16669-ESE81-Completely-Stock-With-Proper-Root-SU-amp-Baseband

10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you install the 2.1 update, you lose root access. If you install a hacked 2.1 update, you can keep root, but that is a kind of grey definition of "stock rom". it'll be mostly stock, but has to have things like su and busybox installed.

But yes, if you think of a hacked-to-add-root 2.1 update as a stock rom, then you can do wifi tether and metamorph. Do NOT install the normal 2.1 update (even manually) if you intend to keep root - because you won't keep root.

(note: android-wifi-tether requires a non-stock kernel, as well. Supposedly barnacle wifi tether does not require a nonstandard kernel, but I haven't tested it fully, yet, so I can't personally speak to its capabilities)

11. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My mistake, I seem to remember there being a work around when the manual update was first posted, although I wasn't paying much attention to 2.1 update threads at that time in my life. Thanks fellas

12. dbutters

dbutters Member

Ratings:
    +0

It's the internet. The population is at least 3/4 *ssholes; no use trying to stem that particular tide. You can't stop it, you can't scold it, you can't reason with it, you just have to ignore it. Which is why, if you don't want to deal with it, it's best to just not put your ideas out in public. If you insist on putting it out there, you have to be prepared to get it knocked around some.

I'm not condoning it, merely saying that it's a waste of energy to try to tame it. The loudest people are small-minded children; wisdom, by its very nature, doesn't speak very loudly.

Search tags for this page