Nice Knowing You. I'm moved on to the other side.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by nateccnn, Apr 14, 2010.

1. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Best I could find on short notice: http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.1.html or Next (next) Android version is Gingerbread? | Android Central

I probably will go to stock some day when I am bored just to go through the paces of getting rooted again from there. I still do want the baseband upgrade too. Meanwhile my phone works, I like how it looks, and if some widget gets a cool theme for it I have no problems customizing it.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah. I've done it a million times, I just don't feel like messing with it.

-Mike

3. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    This is the only reason I even rooted. I was thinking about going back to stock 2.1 and just be rooted, minus all the eye candy. I may change the onscreen keyboard. Thats about it.

Even now, I use Helix Launcher......set to 2 screens. lol I'm thinking it may save me battery life. 2 screens is all I need right now. Imma wind up using some mp3 I have as a ringtone, so dont need all the extra ringtones som ROMS have...I never have and dont plan on even running Live Wallpapers. Give me st0ck and root and I'm happy. U should see my XP Pro desktop. U would think it was a work PC its so plain. But......Smoked Glass might have me wanting to try MetaMorph. And I luv that circular battery icon.

And I'm courious, I keep seeing folks say u have to flash back to 2.0.1. Didnt anybody read or try this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/37575-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html

U install SPRecovery on official 2.1 update, u can then install custom ROMS or use adb to put root on official 2.1

#27 jroc, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  4. voydas

voydas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does barnacle wifi tether work without being rooted? If its possible to wifi-tether without being rooted I would jump ship but wifi tethering is a must for me.

5. zcar.300

zcar.300 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sort of stock

I'm wanting to go stock with the exception of being able to overclock and use the brightness hack. Oh and I really don't like that purple media dock screen. I thought 2.1 was supposed to use that other "clock" screen? To me the ota 2.1 looks just like 2.0.1.

Or maybe I got the wrong ROM. because I only have three home screens and the app drawer is the old looking one. The firmware version says 2.1 and the build number says ESE81 by Pete.

6. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had completely stock 2.1 OTA on my phone. used the method linked a few posts back to flash sprecovery and copy su binary and Superuser.apk onto phone. Process was very easy and opened up use of root apps like drocap2.

Then decided to take it one step farther and loaded one of p3droids kernels using sprecovery. now have OC and wi-fi tether with stock ROM and custom kernel. This works great for me as i don't care about custom ROMs or theming. Get all the customizing I need with Beautiful Widgets skins and wallpapers.

7. givmedew

givmedew Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well... there are a few HUGE things for me.
    1) CyanogenMod supports track forward and backwards using long hold of volume up or down similar to newer blackberries while the screen is locked. This is AWESOME because I do not have to unlock the phone and then go to the music app.
    2) WiFi Tether is great, so is the built in wired tether.
    3) App2sd it is very nice because I can have many apps installed without worrying about lack of resources.
    4) Overclocking, although I do not care too much its nice to have.
    5) Its fun!!!

8. Orion223

Orion223 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I rooted for a lot of the same reasons that have already been illuminated here; overclocking, customization, et. al.; but the NUMBER ONE reason I rooted was the wi-fi tethering ... no matter how you slice it, that is a VALUABLE tool for me - can't get it with stock, ain't gonna do without it just for stock peace-of-mind.

9. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    First in Usenet there were those who posted they were no longer going to post any longer. After rolling our eyes we all hit "next" for next article.
    Then in social networking there were those who posted they were no longer going to be posting any longer. After rolling our eyes we all hit "next" for next article.
    Now it's come to the forums.

GO away. If you have nothing to contribute, and you have taken all you can, and you will not be contributing any longer... and NONE OF US CARE ABOUT YOU in the least, just go die quietly, forum wise. Which means.... go away and shut up, nobody cares.

A whole thread for EVERY person who decides NOT to root their phones or to leave the forum? Seriously? Wow. That would make for a real loser forum. I just don't have time to read that. Do you?

E
    P.S. Next time you've "moved on" don't let the door slam you in the ass, and we DON'T want your goodbye-message thread.

10. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I unrooted when I put the blizzard mobile authenticator on my phone.

It gave me a warning because of root I might compromise the authenticator, while I doubt it would cause harm, I refuse to possibly lose hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours spent in my game for a little speed on my phone.

Online gaming ftw.

edit: but that doesn't stop me from reading the hacks section!

11. trumpet444

trumpet444 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Eh, I never plan on it. Good luck!

12. Pagaldesi4life

Ratings:
    +0
    i too took that plunge recently, was running adamz sg v6 for a couple weeks @ 1.1ghz. last week i decided to unroot and try the 2.1 update. the biggest difference for me is the battery, it lasts much longer now that its not overclocked and overheating. stock is okay, nothing special about it. i do miss my phone being rooted, i loved the possibilities of the customization available from overclocking to roms to themes, etc, i miss it all! i figured i'd give 2.1 a try for a couple weeks, i'll prob reroot again soon tho, this stock setup is pretty boring ;)

i feel like i cant contribute to the rooted forums anymore, maybe there should be a section for us non rooted folks ha.

Search tags for this page