1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Nice Knowing You. I'm moved on to the other side.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by nateccnn, Apr 14, 2010.

1. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

I just wonder how many former rooters have accepted the 2.1 OTA update and gave up rooting.

I was bored on Monday so I unrooted just to see how the 2.1 ese81 OTA feels. It's slower (was running Smoked Glass with Adamz low voltage kernel at 800 mhz). But it is not bad. At first I was itching to go back to root but I made myslef a promise I would give it two days. I can now say that I am ready to leave it stock. I moved all my root tools over to my 7th home screen (Helix) so I don't see them anymore. No more temptations.

I'll still pop into this forum from time to time. I really had a lot of fun with rooting and discussing all issues...noobs not following directions...how fast can you clock?...what is your bench test speed?...all those discussions were fun. And I may change my mind if I get bored again and just re-root. And who knows...maybe they will find a way to exploit 2.1 and give it a real root access. But for now I am going commando and it feels good to have air flowing between my (oh the graphic hurts).

So...who else jumped out of the pool?

Nate
  2. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Be prepared for dozens of posts saying that they will never go stock again. This is the hacks section though.
  3. dub8420

dub8420 New Member

OK. This doesn't make much sense but whatever. Why go to a slower, less customizable version? Have fun.
  4. Sweet Daddy

Sweet Daddy New Member

AMEN Bro! Kinda baffles the mind!:blink:
  5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I guess the obvious question is, why not opt for keeping root AND keeping all the software stock? I guess if you're not modding anything there's no point in being root - but there's also no point in NOT keeping root - there's an update.zip that exactly mirrors the OTA update, with the exception of not clobbering the recovery image or su binary.
  6. atlharry

atlharry New Member

I've gone over as well. I was on UD all the way from the first versions up to 8.x and rooted from DAY 1, now I'm stock and probably won't go back to rooted.

I'm not going to give reasons though because that just opens my PERSONAL reasons up to ridicule and banal questioning from those that can't accept other people's reasoning.

Tip for all of you that are tempted... Everyone has their own reasons for being rooted or unrooted. Please just let 'em be.
  7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Rooted 3 times, back to stock 3 times and 2.1 just does the job for me.

First, I admit that the ROMs do some pretty cool things, they look good, etc. but I just want my Droid to run good, which it has since I first got it in November. It's suppose to be slower now, if it is I don't notice it. I've got a factory warranty again (and insurance).

I'm just satisfied with it the way it is. I also think I'm just tired of screwing around with my phone all the time. When I had the Storm I was always installing this leaked release or that hybrid. And every time a new hybrid came out I'd try that so I was constantly screwing with my Blackberry. I don't feel I have to do that anymore.

So it's 2.1 for me until the next update comes. And I believe there will be other updates.
  8. atlharry

atlharry New Member

Amen bruda
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I have the same urge with my computer. I would stretch to make the analogy that stock = windows and rooted/customized = linux in terms of all the things it allows you to do AND all the many different ways you can screw things up.

I've been running linux 100% since around 2000, but every once in awhile I get the urge to just install windows. It usually happens just after I spent like 4 hours trying to fix something that should just work and I think "you know, if I just had windows, I would turn on my laptop and it would just work".

I still use linux because the things I want to do with my computer cannot be easily done in windows. The same goes for my phone.

For the people that want to go back to stock - kudos to you. You won't have to spend a bajillion hours tweaking things and reading forums. The Android 2.1 update included a LOT of the things that I rooted to get, so there's a good chance you're pretty happy with it, too.

I, on the other hand, am stuck in the rabbit hole. "Because I can" ends up being the reason for most of the things I tweak, and I only have myself to blame every time I break something :p
  10. atlharry

atlharry New Member

lol, that was my #1 reason. That, and reading through some of the support threads were becoming a huge pain as you had to filter through a million flame posts before getting to something constructive.
  11. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

I went back to stock from Bugless Beast. I'm content.

Things I don't miss: battery drain from overclock, setting up everything after a version of switching roms, having to revert back are attempting something that didn't work.

Things I miss: drocap for easy screenshots, customizing the look.

I'll be staying stock too, unless the Rescue Squad gets suck for some reason and needs another root user to help figure something out (highly unlikely).

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

I did, but VZW forced me out. I was sent a replacement phone. I was told by the rep it would need to be updated. Well, it arrived with 2.1 on it.

At the moment, I'm just not up for the task of flashing a new SBF, jumping through the steps to root, and then loading a new ROM. I'm sure I will eventually.

But I sure do miss my custom theme and the DarkEdge one. That was really the only reason I rooted, so I could have my own theme and fonts.

-Mike
  13. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

I'm rooted for on reason only... overclocking.
    I'm basically running a rooted stock 2.1 ROM and an overclock. Like others have stated I don't like screwing with my phone every few days just to see what's what. I'd rather turn it on and that's all.

I think a big part of me being this way is because I was on the iPhone jailbreak merry-go-round for 7 months just to get the features I used all of the time (tethering) and the Droid ended all of that.

And for the record, I remember how I was after having the iPhone for 5 months... I was ready to throw it out of the window. It was a super restrictive platform and the network was SO ****ING BAD! Now after 5 months with my Droid... mad-love for this thing! MAD-LOVE!!!
  14. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

I'm not going to hold my breath for Motorola to release 2.2. I'm just going to keep rooted and get it 4-5 months ahead of "everyone else"... when the time comes.
  15. ldimick

ldimick New Member

This post so perfectly reflects my experiences that I could have written it. Well said.
  16. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Well, there isn't even a rumor to the best of my knowledgeg about what version will be coming out. We kind of knew in late November that 2.0.1 was coming out first, followed by 2.1. We haven't heard anything about any other updates and I'd be surprised if we hear anything within the next 6 months. The Droids updates came rather quickly compared to something like the Blackberry Storm.
  17. papy72

papy72 New Member

This is the same situation I am in. Went from stock 2.1 OTA to rooted 2.1 just for the overclocking.
  18. Sodner

Sodner New Member

Jeeze. What I could accomplish with my life if I didn't spend 9 hours a day screwing with my Droid and reading this forum... Cure cancer, foster world peace, feed the hungry, travel the world, the possibilities are endless.

Eh, Now how do I partition my SD card..............................................
  19. huskur

huskur New Member

SBF to stock 2.0.1, rooting and back to custom rom will take less than an hour
  20. bronx finest

bronx finest New Member

I just want wifi tether lol. I'm on Stock 2.1, so I don't see it as viable for now. . .
Search tags for this page