[NHL] Let's get this discussion started.

djh074

Reaction score
eh boys. lets talk some hockey. Coyotes/Flyers/Habs fan.

live in phx
grew up in philly
Canadiens r best "original 6" team

great night for me, all my teams won!
Thank your Canadiens for allowing the Bruins to break their 10 game winless streak the other night :icon_ devil:

yeah yeah. nice SO for Rask. and a good game for Sturm. not so good for the Habs. Ready for some Olympic hockey!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
eh boys. lets talk some hockey. Coyotes/Flyers/Habs fan.

live in phx
grew up in philly
Canadiens r best "original 6" team

great night for me, all my teams won!
Thank your Canadiens for allowing the Bruins to break their 10 game winless streak the other night :icon_ devil:

yeah yeah. nice SO for Rask. and a good game for Sturm. not so good for the Habs. Ready for some Olympic hockey!
Can't wait. Olympic Hockey this year should be good. Guys always skate harder when it's for their country :)

it's one game, B's still kicked themselves in their own nutZ this year. Playoffs are out of the picture IMO.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
Hello Yankees!

How is your season.

Football is over :(

Only basketball left down her in the South.

I don't do the nascar thing.:icon_eek:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello Yankees!

How is your season.

Carolina has the Hurricanes.... Nashville has the Predators.
Florida has the Panthers, the Lightning
Dallas has the Stars...

plenty of hockey to latch on to.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
Yeah,

Can't get into it on TV, went to see a few games when I was younger and visiting relatives. It was a lot of fun in person. Not much buzz about it either where I live, takes some of the fun out of it.

jkwakopo

Reaction score
Hello Yankees!

How is your season.

Carolina has the Hurricanes.... Nashville has the Predators.
Florida has the Panthers, the Lightning
Dallas has the Stars...

plenty of hockey to latch on to.

Caps should be counted as a south also =) but yeah, if you are not a NHL fan, just go to any hockey game... watch it live. You will love it... Being @ Virginia Tech doesn't allow me to go to Caps game but i still watch our Hokies play @ Roanoke Civic Center... Its an awesome game.. All of you non-hockey fans.. just go watch any game you will love it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah,

Can't get into it on TV, went to see a few games when I was younger and visiting relatives. It was a lot of fun in person. Not much buzz about it either where I live, takes some of the fun out of it.
I've been playing since I was five, and still and 22 years later, I love the sport. It is definitely WAY better to watch in person. Watching on TV just doesn't cut it. I've brought enough people to their 'first' games to know that they enjoy it much more in person.

It's tough following something if you're the only one talking about it I agree.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For anyone who wants to see the Whalers return.... there's a petition you can sign... either click on the Whalers forum bar in my signature or go to Whalerwatch.com on your browser :)

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Hello Yankees!

How is your season.

Lol... I'm from Michigan and now live in Atlanta... I can attest that hockey just doesn't translate down here.. No one watches the Atlanta Thrashers, except northerners like me who come to games to watch their home teams... Can't speak for the other southern teams, I would think Tampa would have a good following after their cup a few years back...

GO REDWINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
M

Matth3w

Who cares about the MVP? Its about the cup... I was excited to see a hockey thread come up, untill I saw it was started by a Pens fan...grrrr... j/k Wings fan here, still salty about last year... especially since we're playing the worst hockey we have in 20 years right now. Part of me is kinda glad we're just gonna sneak into the playoffs this year instead of being heavily favored, takes some of the pressure off...
I agree. Like I said, this is the difference between Crosby and Ovie:

200909penguins1_500.jpg

46752_APTOPIX_Penguins_Capitals_Hockey.jpg

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ovie for MVP... enough said...
Actually while he might get the nod, he really doesn't deserve it. The Caps have proven that they can score and win without him, both when he has been suspended because he is a dirty piece of **** player, and when he simply doesn't get a point. Hell they scored 7 goals one night without him.

The MVP should be someone that without him the team would simply fall apart. For example, when Malkin carried the entire Penguins team when Crosby was hurt. Or something along those lines.

At least he doesn't cry like Sid The Cry Baby... Well, if you think he doesn't deserve it, then look at what he did against your beloved Penguins the other night. He is CLEARLY the best hockey player in the world. The other day on Sportscenter, they were comparing Lebron James and Ovie. Whose more dominant in their own sports. Not Sid..... So.. Ovie 4 MVP
Talk about whiners - Ovechkin leads the pack in that department. The NBC/Versus guys are so pro Ovechkin, and the league has told the officials basically to leave him alone, it's disgusting. Ok, so Sid scores the first 2 goals, ends in a tie, and Ovie gets his hat trick and then they win in O.T. - big deal. When push comes to shove, and the ultimate goal is winning the Stanley Cup - I don't recall the Capitals beating the Penguins last year to advance and win the cup. The real season starts after the regular season ends just in case you didn't realize that.

Matthew - when I started seeing your comments about Plum - I was like I wonder if he knews Umberger - and then was really happy to see you knocked him on his ass!:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For anyone who wants to see the Whalers return.... there's a petition you can sign... either click on the Whalers forum bar in my signature or go to Whalerwatch.com on your browser :)
I would love to see the "New England Whalers" or "Hartford Whalers" return. It was such a shame when they left. They were one of the 4 WHA teams that joined the NHL. I wonder who can name the other 3 teams? :)

OP
M

Matth3w

The olympics are going to be hard to watch because I'm not sure who to root for and I hope no one gets hurt. I hope Fleury doesn't get any playing time. I already don't see the pens repeating as it is

OP
M

Matth3w

Vulcan just for the record I am but a turd on the street compared to rj. I just want to make sure I didn't come across as thinking I was better lol. I didn't even know who he was at the time because plum wasn't one of our regular season oponents. We only played them during tournaments. Plus he graduated a year ahead of me iirc. I didn't figure he would even go anywhere (I don't remember him being a huge name). The guy we all thought would make it played for us...andre makarov...heard he went back to play pro russian hockey but couldn't find any info on him