[NHL] Let's get this discussion started.

OP
M

Matth3w

The wings have one more cup than the pens since the pens came into the league as well. And the wings have a cup drought in their history almost as long as the pens have been a franchise

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
actually the pens have 3 cups

He's obviously a new hockeyfan/kid leave him be. Lol

Wow.. you are pretty full of yourself huh? I'm 34 actually and know plenty about hockey. You are the one that has to have every thread in this forum about you, and I've read plenty of threads attesting to this fact... So bad you have to make a whole thread apologizing to everyone for being a douche. So you calling me immature is pretty baseless. Sure if you guys want to take it back to 1980's, then its 4 to 3. My post from the other day was mostly being sarcastic/fun... Just enjoying the win vs. a great team, same as any other fan would. Yes, I found it humorous that they were chanting against Crosby, as its my understanding that has been happening everywhere he goes recently (even in your own house). Yes, Crosby is awesome... but you guys think he's the 2nd coming of Jesus.. and he's NOT. He MAY be the best player right now, maybe not.. But he's no Gretzky, so its funny that you guys can't STFU about him. I'm not going to keep this going... As I stated earlier, this has been a Pens thread from the beginning, instead of a general NHL thread as you tried to pretend it would be... you guys want to call me a "new hockey fan/kid".. c'mon, you and your cronies fit that bill to the T...

OP
M

Matth3w

Crosby doesn't get bood in pittsburgh. You claim you know a lot about hockey but you certainly haven't showed it. As for the thread, it's my fault that there are a bunch of people from pittsburgh on this message board?

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
What exactly would you like to know to show my knowledge of hockey... I don't like your team so I must not know anything?? Your logic is flawed. No, its not your fault there happen to be some bandwagon riders on this thread... but you are at fault for inducing a pissing match with anyone not rooting for your team. Hell, you can't even get along with your own people who don't feel Crosby is the 2nd coming like you do. The Pens are a great team right now.... but, guess what.. so are the Caps, the Sharks and several other teams... Get off your high horse (which you will be quickly knocked off when the playoffs hit anyways)... And show you have even a small level of maturaty when someone doesn't agree with you...

OP
M

Matth3w

I have no problem with people that don't like the pens, its just stupid to watch a bunch of immature morons call players childish names like cindy.

MK-9

Reaction score
Huh, weird:

CANDID NHLERS WEIGH IN ON THE BIG QUESTIONS IN ANONYMOUS POLL

Who's the best player in the National Hockey League? The dirtiest? The most overrated? Which team will win the Cup this year?
These questions - normally reserved for rabid debate among hockey pundits and fans of the game - were posed to the players themselves by ESPN the Magazine, which recently conducted an anonymous poll of 50 NHLers.
The results were likely more candid than if players had been asked the same questions "on the record", and while some answers can certainly be filed under the category of "less than shocking", others are somewhat surprising and revelatory.
Here are some of the results:
64% of players said that Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin was the best player in the sport; the Pens' Sidney Crosby was second but it wasn't a particularly close race, with the Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia native receiving 24% of the vote.
The ubiquitous Red Wings were voted as the best franchise in the league, with 60% of those polled saying Detroit was No. 1.
Despite a tremendously successful season thus far, Phoenix still managed to take the honours for worst franchise (with 28% of players saying so), likely the holdover from last year's much-publicized off-season ownership woes and generally low attendance. The Coyotes were followed by Atlanta (18%) and the New York Islanders (11%).
Players were asked which squad will win the Stanley Cup just a few months from now. 32% of respondents said the young, talented Blackhawks will be taking home Lord Stanley's silver, with San Jose and last year's champs the Penguins tying for the honour of second-most-likely (16% each).
One answer in particular will not please fans of the Vancouver Canucks; 6% of players thought Roberto Luongo was the most overrated player in the game (the highest percentage of any single player). He was followed by a four-way tie between Vincent Lecavalier, Dion Phaneuf, Jay Bouwmeester and Sean Avery, who all hit the mark of 4%.
When asked what single change would help raise the profile of the game the most, the top answer was "more television coverage" (52%).
Kerry Fraser, who automatically claims the mantle for best hair year after year, was also called the best referee with a mark of 26%. Stephane Auger, who was involved in a messy series of exchanges with the Canucks' Alexandre Burrows earlier this season, was called the worst official by 20% of the players.
Meanwhile, the Wild's Derek Boogaard, listed at a frightening 6'7 and 258 pounds, was voted the toughest fighter (46%) while 22% of players said Chris Pronger of the Flyers was the dirtiest player on the ice.
A list of some selected results from the poll:
BEST PLAYER
Alex Ovechkin 64%
Sidney Crosby 24%
Evgeni Malkin, Henrik Zetterberg 4%
Pavel Datsyuk, Joe Thornton 2%
MOST OVERRATED
Roberto Luongo 6%
Vincent Lecavalier, Dion Phaneuf, Jay Bouwmeester, Sean Avery 4%
BEST FRANCHISE
Detroit 60%
Pittsburgh 14%
Montreal 12%
New Jersey 8%
NY Rangers, Chicago 4%
WORST FRANCHISE
Phoenix 28%
Atlanta 18%
Islanders 14%
Edmonton 12%
Florida 10%
WHO WILL WIN THE STANLEY CUP?
Chicago 32%
Pittsburgh, San Jose 16%
Washington 14%
Detroit, New Jersey 8%
And some other highlights:
Smartest Coach: Mike Babcock, Red Wings 22%
Last coach they would want to play for: John Tortorella, Rangers 18%
Grade Gary Bettman should get as commish: 30% said "C"
38% said the NHL should contract

Candid NHLers weigh in on the big questions in anonymous poll

OP
M

Matth3w

You realize the poll was sample of only 50 players, right? So, a whopping 32 players out of how many in the NHL?

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Huh, weird:

CANDID NHLERS WEIGH IN ON THE BIG QUESTIONS IN ANONYMOUS POLL

Who's the best player in the National Hockey League? The dirtiest? The most overrated? Which team will win the Cup this year?
These questions - normally reserved for rabid debate among hockey pundits and fans of the game - were posed to the players themselves by ESPN the Magazine, which recently conducted an anonymous poll of 50 NHLers.
The results were likely more candid than if players had been asked the same questions "on the record", and while some answers can certainly be filed under the category of "less than shocking", others are somewhat surprising and revelatory.
Here are some of the results:
64% of players said that Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin was the best player in the sport; the Pens' Sidney Crosby was second but it wasn't a particularly close race, with the Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia native receiving 24% of the vote.
The ubiquitous Red Wings were voted as the best franchise in the league, with 60% of those polled saying Detroit was No. 1.
Despite a tremendously successful season thus far, Phoenix still managed to take the honours for worst franchise (with 28% of players saying so), likely the holdover from last year's much-publicized off-season ownership woes and generally low attendance. The Coyotes were followed by Atlanta (18%) and the New York Islanders (11%).
Players were asked which squad will win the Stanley Cup just a few months from now. 32% of respondents said the young, talented Blackhawks will be taking home Lord Stanley's silver, with San Jose and last year's champs the Penguins tying for the honour of second-most-likely (16% each).
One answer in particular will not please fans of the Vancouver Canucks; 6% of players thought Roberto Luongo was the most overrated player in the game (the highest percentage of any single player). He was followed by a four-way tie between Vincent Lecavalier, Dion Phaneuf, Jay Bouwmeester and Sean Avery, who all hit the mark of 4%.
When asked what single change would help raise the profile of the game the most, the top answer was "more television coverage" (52%).
Kerry Fraser, who automatically claims the mantle for best hair year after year, was also called the best referee with a mark of 26%. Stephane Auger, who was involved in a messy series of exchanges with the Canucks' Alexandre Burrows earlier this season, was called the worst official by 20% of the players.
Meanwhile, the Wild's Derek Boogaard, listed at a frightening 6'7 and 258 pounds, was voted the toughest fighter (46%) while 22% of players said Chris Pronger of the Flyers was the dirtiest player on the ice.
A list of some selected results from the poll:
BEST PLAYER
Alex Ovechkin 64%
Sidney Crosby 24%
Evgeni Malkin, Henrik Zetterberg 4%
Pavel Datsyuk, Joe Thornton 2%
MOST OVERRATED
Roberto Luongo 6%
Vincent Lecavalier, Dion Phaneuf, Jay Bouwmeester, Sean Avery 4%
BEST FRANCHISE
Detroit 60%
Pittsburgh 14%
Montreal 12%
New Jersey 8%
NY Rangers, Chicago 4%
WORST FRANCHISE
Phoenix 28%
Atlanta 18%
Islanders 14%
Edmonton 12%
Florida 10%
WHO WILL WIN THE STANLEY CUP?
Chicago 32%
Pittsburgh, San Jose 16%
Washington 14%
Detroit, New Jersey 8%
And some other highlights:
Smartest Coach: Mike Babcock, Red Wings 22%
Last coach they would want to play for: John Tortorella, Rangers 18%
Grade Gary Bettman should get as commish: 30% said "C"
38% said the NHL should contract

Candid NHLers weigh in on the big questions in anonymous poll

You must not have read the thread rules... Absolutely NO anti Penguins or Crosby posts... No exceptions... lol.. How did I know Mathew would call the poll BS no matter what... Anyways.. Happy to see my squad got best franchise and Datsuk and Zetterberg made it on the list...

OP
M

Matth3w

Dude, read the sample size. Zetterberg made the list with TWO votes. Datsyuk with ONE vote. This is a completely worthless poll no matter what it says in favor of whatever team.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Meh.. IDK.. Petty b*tching about nothing aside.. I think I'd value actual NHL players opinions over people who don't play, like us. Ok, the sample size is small... but your making my point. There are a ton of awesome players, and 2 of my guys made the list. Yeah, the poll doesn't prove anything... Just something interesting to look at....

OP
M

Matth3w

For all you know Datsyuk and Zetterberg voted for themselves or each other. Just saying...

OP
M

Matth3w

4477821914_59a8ef05a5_o.jpg

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Freudian slip?

Slighter

Reaction score
First, thanks STIDRIVER for - "Yes, Crosby is awesome... but you guys think he's the 2nd coming of Jesus.. and he's NOT."
"this has been a Pens thread from the beginning, instead of a general NHL thread as you tried to pretend it would be."
Second, WHO WILL WIN THE STANLEY CUP?
Chicago 32%
Not if they don't up their defense.
I will stay with - Duncan Keith - Norris Trophy