[NHL] Let's get this discussion started.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Matth3w, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Crosby shines, Ovechkin fizzles in Olympic battle between hockey stars

By: Bill Beacon, The Canadian Press
    24/02/2010 11:46 PM | Comments: 0

VANCOUVER - Alex Ovechkin led Sidney Crosby in only one category Wednesday night — he broke two sticks to Crosby's none.
    But Crosby was a clear winner in the battle of the two hockey superstars in Canada's 7-3 victory over Ovechkin's Russians in the quarter-finals at the 2010 Olympics.
    While the 22-year-old Crosby was held off the scoresheet, the Pittsburgh Penguins captain still played a solid two-way game and did his part to help win the game. He saw 17 minutes 34 seconds of ice time.
    Ovechkin was a long way from his usual dazzling self, going without a point and finishing minus-2 despite a team-leading 21:15 of ice time — most of it spent being decidedly unthreatening on attack.
    Wednesday's game was supposed to showcase Sid the Kid and Alex The Great, but instead it turned into a display of Canadian determination and a disappearing act by the Russians, who were done in by turnovers and weak goaltending from Evgeni Nabokov, who was yanked in the second period after allowing a sixth goal.
    ''What do you think? I'm disappointed,'' said Ovechkin.
    ''I think we weren't ready for the first five minutes and when we woke up it was too late," he added. "It was 3-0 and it was hard to come back, especially in that kind of game.''
    Ovechkin did not create any exceptional scoring chances, although he ended up with three of his team's 28 shots. And his careless passes in his own zone were picked off by Canadian forecheckers a handful of times.
    Before the game, there was anticipation that the six-foot-two 230-pound Ovechkin would be cruising for crushing hits like the one he laid on Czech star Jaromir Jagr in round-robin play, but there were none this time.
    Instead, early in the game Canadian defenceman Shea Weber nailed Ovechkin twice with big hits and Drew Doughty took him solidly into the boards on another occasion.
    Canadian coach Mike Babcock put together a line of Jonathan Toews, Mike Richards and Rick Nash to face Ovechkin, his Washington teammate Alexander Semin and Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin and, even though Russia had last line change, got the matchup for much of the night.
    The Toews line not only held them off, but it provided a goal from Nash.
    ''We had what it takes to frustrate them,'' said Toews. ''Richie and Nash are both great skaters and they play two-way hockey during the year so they're used to that.
    ''As long as we kept the puck, that's defence too, when you keep it down in their zone. And we just tried to play hard against them every time they got close to our net.''
    At the 2006 Games in Turin, Italy, Ovechkin scored the winning goal that eliminated Canada in the quarter-finals, although the Russians also failed to win a medal. And Ovechkin leads Crosby 2-1 in Hart trophies as the NHL's most valuable player. The two are tied with one NHL scoring title apiece.
    But Crosby leads in Stanley Cups. The Cole Harbour, N.S. native has won one in two trips to the NHL final. Ovechkin hasn't been close to a final, and his Capitals were ousted from the playoffs last spring by Crosby's Penguins.

2. MK-9

MK-9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sure thing guy. Whatever honks your hooter. ;) I can find plenty of quotes and articles to support my point as well. Hell, try a 2 second search on Google, "Who's better, Ovechkin or Crosby" and I got plenty of ammo to rebuff you. Just not that interested in wasting my time arguing with you. You can take that as a 'win' if it gets you through your day. You like who you like, he's on your team. I'd think you were a tool for not arguing for your guy. Just face facts, plenty of folks disagree with you.

As an aside, my team isn't going anywhere this year. Hopefully, CF can pull some deals out of his a** and get some more dead weight off this team.

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So wait, you can do a search and get some answers from Yahoo! Answers and some idiot bloggers to rebuke me, but 28 GENERAL MANAGERS of the NHL would rather have Crosby and you think your results hold equal weight?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

4. MK-9

MK-9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now, convince me you're not 14.

And apparently not much a 'reader', try again chuckles. Says Crosby topped 15, not 28. Kudos.

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought you weren't going to argue with me? Can't resist though I guess.

It was a weighted poll. Ovechkin did not top the poll. Crosby did.

6. MK-9

MK-9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

7. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Should I repeat what you said?

"Convince me you're not 14"

8. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
  9. alm0614

alm0614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
  10. Digimike

Digimike New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure I agree with the "woe is mee Crosby has no team around him" comments.

Malkin is a hell of a player and seemed to be much more of an impact player than Crosby last year in the playoffs. Crosby is a tremendous player but he has a great cast around him.

Brackstrom and Semin are two great players on the Capitals along with Ovechkin, But Gonchar Malkin and Crosby make a hell of a tandem as well.

The penguins as a team were better last year which is why they won the clup. Main difference in the two teams is the Penguins have a better overall defense and a damm good goalie.

The caps lack in defense, and they may have a goalie now with that kid Varlamoff (who I believe was a teenager in the playoffs last year) but their usual starter Jose Theodore is wildly inconsistant.

11. alm0614

alm0614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I never said he doesnt have a team around him. MAF, Malkin, Gonch among other are quality players.

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Malkin rarely plays with Crosby though, so this isn't the best argument. They play together on the PP but their PP actually sucks (one of the worst in the league). Most of Crosby's points come on a line with the people I mentioned. Also, Gonchar isn't necessarily always on the ice with Crosby. However, Ovechkin plays with Semin and Backstrom almost always if I'm not mistaken.

I never said the Penguins suck, they clearly don't. I simply said that Sid has some ****ty wingers, which he does.

Search tags for this page

blackhawks android wallpaper