NFS Shift: Droid & X Comparison

K

killabyte

Ok so my buddy got his X Thurs and when i saw how good Shift looked on his phone I started doing some reading. From what I read about the specs on our phones I saw we had the same GPU so I loaded up the demo apk and I have to say the game looks way better on his phone. Not just from the obvious larger screen either. The graphics looked smoother as if there was more antialiasing and the whole thing was just brighter. I loaded BB 0.4 for the test and had it clocked at 1.2 and it didn't run as smooth on my phone as it did on his which really puzzles me if we have the same GPU. It was playable but the frame rate was obviously higher on his phone.

I know they have different CPU's but mine was running 200mhz faster... unless the X CPU has a much better architecture than the one in the Droid i'm stumped.

Anyone else done this comparison and noticed?

Gimic26

Reaction score
The new OMAP core in The X has a lot of improvements over the one in the original Droid. Higher memory bus speed, faster memory and a higher clocked SGX 530 GPU.

Lars1

Reaction score
I don't have an X to compare but on my DROID it looks and plays awesome!

OP
K

killabyte

The new OMAP core in The X has a lot of improvements over the one in the original Droid. Higher memory bus speed, faster memory and a higher clocked SGX 530 GPU.

I figured it was logical thinking that the CPU was built better but really didn't think about the GPU clock speed... and why am I even wondering when and how much it would overclock hah. On the other hand tho if the GPU is the EXACT same chip there's really no reason why we shouldn't be able to run ours at the same speed of the X.

Other than luck of the draw with whatever wafer your chip came off of, etc. I've really not read up much on the hardware in these phones - is the CPU and GPU on the same die or is it seperate?

edit - just read this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=723340

i guess even if you could overclock the gpu it wouldn't make that big of a difference. apparently the cpu and the memory bandwidth would still be a bottleneck. i would still think though if the factory clock speed is 550 and most of us are doubling that to 1200 that overclocking the GPU should net some kind of benefit, even if it wasn't huge?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
K

killabyte

even tho that still doesn't explain why the game looks so much different. unless it is coded to dumb itself down for the slower hardware which is where i'd put my money. kinda like playing a pc game and having it autodetect what settings to run based on your hardware.