NFC Uses?

ethanhunt123

Reaction score
I dont have google wallet, and I was wondering what I can scan with the NFC reader. I downloaded a reader app, but it doesn't seem to recognize anything. I tried my RFID card from work, credit card, passport.... I know it works because I Beamed some content over to another gnex owner.

What am I supposed to scan / Can scan?

Reaction score
This is not an NFC reader. it's transmits things like credit card info and can beam info to other phones through android beam. That's about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
ethanhunt123

ethanhunt123

Reaction score
This is not an NFC reader. it's transmits things like credit card info and can beam info to other phones through android beam. That's about it.

hmmmm..... perhaps I dont understand the diffrence? By having the ability to scan / send NFC technonolgy, how is in not a "NFC reader"?

tyd450

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster

I was wondering what to do with NFC too. Installing google wallet is super easy though, I just did it today. I'm not rooted/unlocked-bootloadered or any of that. I just downloaded the apk through the browser on my phone, simple as that. Just go to this link with your phone com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel-2.apk (got this via droid-life). MAKE SURE you go to settings/personal/security and check that Unknown Sources box (Allow installation of non-market apps) otherwise it won't work. It installed just like it would through the market and I was able to sign up and get my free $10 on the google debit card. NICE.

Been reading about those NFC stickers and that NFC Task Launcher app that people are using. That seems pretty cool. You can install these stickers in certain places (bedroom, office, car, etc) and set it up so when you tap your phone on them, this app will change your setting (ring/vibrate, wifi on/off, bluetooth, etc). Haven't done this yet though.

captdroid

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster

I was wondering what to do with NFC too. Installing google wallet is super easy though, I just did it today. I'm not rooted/unlocked-bootloadered or any of that. I just downloaded the apk through the browser on my phone, simple as that. Just go to this link with your phone com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel-2.apk (got this via droid-life). MAKE SURE you go to settings/personal/security and check that Unknown Sources box (Allow installation of non-market apps) otherwise it won't work. It installed just like it would through the market and I was able to sign up and get my free $10 on the google debit card. NICE.

Been reading about those NFC stickers and that NFC Task Launcher app that people are using. That seems pretty cool. You can install these stickers in certain places (bedroom, office, car, etc) and set it up so when you tap your phone on them, this app will change your setting (ring/vibrate, wifi on/off, bluetooth, etc). Haven't done this yet though.

Using NFC and a tag to turn the Verizon car dock into an active dock: JWK Software - NFC Based Mobile Apps

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher

:biggrin:

Isaiah

Reaction score
if you can get nfc tags, you can write specific actions to the tags. The phone can be swiped over the tags to active certain settings, set texts, or go to web pages. possibilities are amazing.

jpin321

Reaction score
Can i not make purchases in the market with Google wallet? Thought it would be sweet to use some of my 10 bucks there.

tyd450

Reaction score
not sure on that one...probably though. I was just saying with the Verizon Gnex you can't download Google Wallet through the market as Verizon blocked it because of ISIS or some crap

Snow02

Reaction score
Can i not make purchases in the market with Google wallet? Thought it would be sweet to use some of my 10 bucks there.

Unless you find an android market pay pass terminal, no...

tyd450

Reaction score
can't you use the google debit card for online purchases?

yorT

Reaction score

Snow02

Reaction score
Are all NFC tags changed like those tags? If so one question comes up, could you change a Pay Pass tag at a checkout counter using your phone and this app? Could be some security issues and also funny jokes :)

No. Some tags are write-protected.