Nexus to Verizon in the Spring: Implications

wil318466

Reaction score
Everyone please make your way over to Engadget and look at the live blog from yesterday's Q&A at the Nexus One press release.

Co-CEO from Moto was there and was directly asked about 2.1 coming to the DROID. We're getting 2.1.

There were also other numerous questions about the reasoning behind the way Google is selling the N1. Please go and check it out. Reading the 6 pages of comments on here, some of you are worried about nothing, while one or two have serious misconceptions about the strategy of the N1 and support for DROID going forward.

Live from Google's Android press conference -- Engadget

The press conference notes really don't tell too much other than we are getting 2.1.

Google doesn't even need to do well with their hardware sales. They could afford to LOSE money on their venture. They make so much money from their advertising, its unbelieveble.

As I said, its their *software* they want out there. Hardware is just gravy for them. Their advertising revenue is their bread and butter, and when Android OS becomes the dominant OS in the world (lol, thats a bit ambitious, no?) who wouldn't want to advertise their product to the hundreds of millions of customers they have at their fingertips through web and phone?

But, we'll see. Companies have made mistakes before.

-Wil

Gunghoray

Reaction score
Read that article this afternoon. Perhaps the most interesting part was in the comments after the article. Some people are just clueless about how business works. That's not a problem, but it shines brightly when they post like they know what they're talking about and really don't.

One of their posters ridiculed Google's GPS because it only runs on cellular towers and not satellites like real GPS. Another quoted that Google is smaller than T-Mobile. What are they smoking?

Prof Ray

wil318466

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has read this or even put these pieces together... but it sure made sense to me.
Should Google Buy T-Mobile? - PC World Business Center

Hmm.. interesting idea, but I don't think it would be to their advantage. Their advantage is to reach more customers with their OS, which gives them more marketing revenue. Buying a service provider would be a headache, and do nothing for them except give them another thing to manage.

IE : Microsoft doesn't need to make computers, they just need every computer out there to run their software.

-Wil

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Google is thinking WAY down the road though. Partnering with T-Mobile, a company that's owners have been very forward with the idea that a sale is possible given the right amount, keeps the option open for Google. Their mobile conquest is just starting, so yes, right now it would be a huge headache.
But Google is already getting consumers used to using them for purchasing a phone. (Nexus sales only through Google). This is a good way for them to get consumers comfortable with the idea of buying a phone directly from Google.
From their Google, with more Android handsets, can push out more Google Voice accounts, creating a broader base of users, again more comfortable and familiar with the idea of a Google phone service.
From there the sky is the limit.... why not buy out T-Mobile and create Google Voice Mobile? They'll give you a free smartphone, with location based advertising, and a cheap mobile service! Free texting thru Google Voice, cheap call rates, and a data plan. Cell plans would be cheaper for the consumer to initially purchase, (not to mention the phone!) provided you can deal with Google pushing advertising down your throat. But the trick is to create the ads in a manner that make it look more like a feature of the phone, than an annoyance.
I just thought the article made some good points. It's all hypothetical but still interesting.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google is thinking WAY down the road though. Partnering with T-Mobile, a company that's owners have been very forward with the idea that a sale is possible given the right amount, keeps the option open for Google. Their mobile conquest is just starting, so yes, right now it would be a huge headache.
But Google is already getting consumers used to using them for purchasing a phone. (Nexus sales only through Google). This is a good way for them to get consumers comfortable with the idea of buying a phone directly from Google.
From their Google, with more Android handsets, can push out more Google Voice accounts, creating a broader base of users, again more comfortable and familiar with the idea of a Google phone service.
From there the sky is the limit.... why not buy out T-Mobile and create Google Voice Mobile? They'll give you a free smartphone, with location based advertising, and a cheap mobile service! Free texting thru Google Voice, cheap call rates, and a data plan. Cell plans would be cheaper for the consumer to initially purchase, (not to mention the phone!) provided you can deal with Google pushing advertising down your throat. But the trick is to create the ads in a manner that make it look more like a feature of the phone, than an annoyance.
I just thought the article made some good points. It's all hypothetical but still interesting.

I would be all over that lol if only, definitely an interesting idea.

wil318466

Reaction score

Yeah, I didn't think about it that way. An interesting idea is that they can accomplish it without buying TMobile, though. It wouldn't be profitable for them to sign users up and give them cheap rates.

Just thinking of it in business terms. And yes, its all just speculation. who knows, they could be thinking about it and I could be 100% wrong. heh

-Wil