Nexus to Verizon in the Spring: Implications

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree that you will have basically the same phone between the Nexus and the Droid. The Apple fanboys are trying to take the wind out of the Droid by saying that the Nexus is "almost as good" as the Iphone and ignoring the Droid.

Honestly, the phone Motorola Built is a monster - it's solid heavy and built to last. It's not a cheap piece of plastic. I love the weight and the way it feels and how sturdy it is.

As far as the rumored new Motorola devices I don't believe anything until they are official.

Echo3

Reaction score
Sorry guys.. but I'm not sure if you guys are correct in your assessment. This isn't a Verizon thing. Its a Google thing.

I think Verizon has very limited say to what is going on with the Droid. In fact, I think Motorola has very limited say also. when I say limited, I mean more like "none".

When the phone updates is up to GOOGLE, not Verizon. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong here, if anyone knows for sure) This is a Google OS operated device. The hardware is Motorola (who, from what I read, was pretty much "told" how to make this phone from Google) and the network is of course, Verizon. These are 3 different entities. Each has their incentive, but Google has the upper hand, I believe.

Remember, Verizon has been notorious for locking down their phones. Vcast, that Verizon Navigator crap... I think Verizon realized they WILL keep bleeding customers to AT&T and other networks because they just *couldn't* do the things other networks could do because they limited the devices. This is why Verizon has had the worst selection of smart phones for years. Verizon wanted to capitalize by charging for each and every vcast whatever service they offered. It didn't work.

Verizon had to realize they needed to open up. They absolutely had to offer an alternative to the iPhone. We all know people who left Verizon to get an iPhone. I had iPhone envy. Most people I knew on the Verizon network did also, but just weren't willing to goto a crappy network.

Verizon cares about the residual. They want the monthly bill. They know they will get more $ per customer, also, because Smartphone users tend to use their phones A LOT more than regular users. Look at me as an example. My bill went from 45 dollars a month total to 103 a month. Multiple that by a few million people, for the foreseeable future, and you can see whats in it for them.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent, but my point is that I think Google decides when and where, not Verizon, and definately not Motorola.

-Wil

Hmm...I would think it would all be in collaboration in terms of development and the carrier. Google needs Motorola, HTC, etc for hardware, and a Carrier for service. With no hardware, no carrier...Google can forget about their OS being out in the market. Just as the manufacturers and Carrier would like to have the Android OS for more profit to compete against the iPhone and bring more customers in. So it's a win/win.

wil318466

Reaction score
Sorry guys.. but I'm not sure if you guys are correct in your assessment. This isn't a Verizon thing. Its a Google thing.

I think Verizon has very limited say to what is going on with the Droid. In fact, I think Motorola has very limited say also. when I say limited, I mean more like "none".

When the phone updates is up to GOOGLE, not Verizon. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong here, if anyone knows for sure) This is a Google OS operated device. The hardware is Motorola (who, from what I read, was pretty much "told" how to make this phone from Google) and the network is of course, Verizon. These are 3 different entities. Each has their incentive, but Google has the upper hand, I believe.

Remember, Verizon has been notorious for locking down their phones. Vcast, that Verizon Navigator crap... I think Verizon realized they WILL keep bleeding customers to AT&T and other networks because they just *couldn't* do the things other networks could do because they limited the devices. This is why Verizon has had the worst selection of smart phones for years. Verizon wanted to capitalize by charging for each and every vcast whatever service they offered. It didn't work.

Verizon had to realize they needed to open up. They absolutely had to offer an alternative to the iPhone. We all know people who left Verizon to get an iPhone. I had iPhone envy. Most people I knew on the Verizon network did also, but just weren't willing to goto a crappy network.

Verizon cares about the residual. They want the monthly bill. They know they will get more $ per customer, also, because Smartphone users tend to use their phones A LOT more than regular users. Look at me as an example. My bill went from 45 dollars a month total to 103 a month. Multiple that by a few million people, for the foreseeable future, and you can see whats in it for them.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent, but my point is that I think Google decides when and where, not Verizon, and definately not Motorola.

-Wil

Hmm...I would think it would all be in collaboration in terms of development and the carrier. Google needs Motorola, HTC, etc for hardware, and a Carrier for service. With no hardware, no carrier...Google can forget about their OS being out in the market. Just as the manufacturers and Carrier would like to have the Android OS for more profit to compete against the iPhone and bring more customers in. So it's a win/win.

There is another *huge* downstream affect people may not realize : The number of Verizon Android users in the Marketplace is irreplaceable.

Thats right. Irreplaceable (since I said it twice, I really hope I spelled that correctly). The network effect is very important here. Have you guys read all the annoying "Droid vs iPhone" articles? Did you notice something that seemed to push a few of the articles winners to the iPhone?

The App Market. Google NEEDS a large customer base for their app market, in order for it to grow. The App Market needs demand. The demand, in turn, makes developers interested. This, in turn, makes the market better, thereby increasing demand.

Its a secondary thing, but very important for the long term growth potential of Android/Google. Verizon is the biggest wireless company in the United States. Google NEEDS to be in that market, they need the customer base.

I don't want to make predictions.. but I can see this trend already. Google/Android will dominate the market within the next few years. Apple restricts, Android doesn't. We all know in business and in politics what happens when things are restricted. You choke growth.

What Google has done in the last few years is nothing short of amazing, considering the jump that Apple had. Its not going to stop. A shame, Apple was such a good company, too. (smile). Yes, I'm a bit premature, but I'm talking about 5 years from now.

Its like when people predicted the Soviet Union would collapse in the 1990s 10-15 years beforehand. And it did.

-Wil

Edmvr6

Reaction score
People need to also understand that Google also had a hand in the development of the Moto handset.

It's a well choreographed dance. The millions spent on advertising was for a reason. The Droid shall remain their flagship device for many years.

I think all the hype has clouded peoples reality : ) The N1 is a great phone indeed but it's NOT a replacement for the hardware you now have. It's merely another choice. When they throw 2.1 on the Droid you will in fact essentially have the EXACT same capabilities and OS as the N1. No difference at all.

It will come down to, keyboard or not, HTC or Moto Hardware. Those are the only things that are going to separate the devices. The speed difference will be negligible and more than likely not even noticeable.

Keep in mind also that 2.1 will be optimized to take advantage of the Droids GPU. Those fancy wallpaper animations can be handled by the GPU and free up resources for other things. The Droids cpu is a powerhouse as is the Snapdragon it's just a matter of tweaking the OS to run on the different hardware.

When we get 2.1 we will essentially be holding a brand "new" device.

Personally I do not like the thin HTC plastic phones. Moto's hardware is stellar in my opinion, but thats MY preference. Some will prefer the HTC hardware.

Thats what it comes down to_ preference_

People that are looking for a whole new experience will be disappointed. 2.1 is 2.1 is 2.1

We are not talking about one device running 2.1 and the other 3.0. That would be something that would have implications.

Man that post was awesome! It made me understand the whole thing better, thanks alot...Now I think we can all move on.. Since your a Mod I think you should lock that post on the main page so that everyone can see

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
People need to also understand that Google also had a hand in the development of the Moto handset.

It's a well choreographed dance. The millions spent on advertising was for a reason. The Droid shall remain their flagship device for many years.

I think all the hype has clouded peoples reality : ) The N1 is a great phone indeed but it's NOT a replacement for the hardware you now have. It's merely another choice. When they throw 2.1 on the Droid you will in fact essentially have the EXACT same capabilities and OS as the N1. No difference at all.

It will come down to, keyboard or not, HTC or Moto Hardware. Those are the only things that are going to separate the devices. The speed difference will be negligible and more than likely not even noticeable.

Keep in mind also that 2.1 will be optimized to take advantage of the Droids GPU. Those fancy wallpaper animations can be handled by the GPU and free up resources for other things. The Droids cpu is a powerhouse as is the Snapdragon it's just a matter of tweaking the OS to run on the different hardware.

When we get 2.1 we will essentially be holding a brand "new" device.

Personally I do not like the thin HTC plastic phones. Moto's hardware is stellar in my opinion, but thats MY preference. Some will prefer the HTC hardware.

Thats what it comes down to_ preference_

People that are looking for a whole new experience will be disappointed. 2.1 is 2.1 is 2.1

We are not talking about one device running 2.1 and the other 3.0. That would be something that would have implications.

Man that post was awesome! It made me understand the whole thing better, thanks alot...Now I think we can all move on.. Since your a Mod I think you should lock that post on the main page so that everyone can see
agreed, definitely agree with everything Cereal stated.

cb2000a

Reaction score
For all you that are hot on the N1 remember Moto has an awesome multimedia phone coming this spring that will blow the N1 away. We have seen glimpses of this beauty with the huge 4.3 inch screen, super thin body, 8mp camera, and HDMI out. As for me I will stick with the flagship Droid for the next year (and wait for the software to catch up). What's is exciting is the incredible shift in peoples interest to the Android OS in the last month.

Is there a name for this phone? will it be an android?

Yes it will be Android.

cb2000a

Reaction score
I agree that you will have basically the same phone between the Nexus and the Droid. The Apple fanboys are trying to take the wind out of the Droid by saying that the Nexus is "almost as good" as the Iphone and ignoring the Droid.

Honestly, the phone Motorola Built is a monster - it's solid heavy and built to last. It's not a cheap piece of plastic. I love the weight and the way it feels and how sturdy it is.

As far as the rumored new Motorola devices I don't believe anything until they are official.

Apple fanboys HATE the Droid....and I mean HATE. It is the one phone that took the air out of the iphones sails (or is it sales?).

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
My name for it until there is more than an artists rendering with speculation is Vaporware.

For all you that are hot on the N1 remember Moto has an awesome multimedia phone coming this spring that will blow the N1 away. We have seen glimpses of this beauty with the huge 4.3 inch screen, super thin body, 8mp camera, and HDMI out. As for me I will stick with the flagship Droid for the next year (and wait for the software to catch up). What's is exciting is the incredible shift in peoples interest to the Android OS in the last month.

Yes it will be Android.

J

Johnly

A google phone will be VOIP, nothing less, until then let the candy munchers chew on plastic....

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
They hate the Droid for many reasons - the most because they WANT one and are stuck with their expensive POS toy that doesn't do 1/8 of what the Droid can do. And they are stuck on a network that doesn't work.

The IPhone is history unless Apple opens up the software like Android. And Steve Jobs won't do that because there are too many people who would freak out if it ever did anything unexpected.

Apple fanboys HATE the Droid....and I mean HATE. It is the one phone that took the air out of the iphones sails (or is it sales?).

J

Johnly

i agree that you will have basically the same phone between the nexus and the droid. The apple fanboys are trying to take the wind out of the droid by saying that the nexus is "almost as good" as the iphone and ignoring the droid.

Honestly, the phone motorola built is a monster - it's solid heavy and built to last. It's not a cheap piece of plastic. I love the weight and the way it feels and how sturdy it is.

As far as the rumored new motorola devices i don't believe anything until they are official.

apple fanboys hate the droid....and i mean hate. It is the one phone that took the air out of the iphones sails (or is it sales?).
ftw ftr...........

Edmvr6

Reaction score

Yes it will be Android.

So i guess im sticking with my droid seems like this is a no win situation.. there always gonna be a better phone comeing out all the time.. well the only winner here is Google

Gunghoray

Reaction score
What a great conversation. Yes, Google has the world by the short hairs on new tech. Apple and Iphone had it for a while, but you're right, their heavy hand of control may be their downfall.

However, don't give Google a position of World Domination yet. They've got a business model that works, is customer-centric, and supports business as well as individual users. It's masterful marketing, vision, and strategy.

I'm not a Google Fanboy, but I do admire a company that not only responds, but ANTICIPATES market demand and creates products to fill that demand (can you spell GMAIL with free GIGAbytes of storage).....

Food for thought.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was NOT a Google fanboy until I bought the Droid. I had been waiting for an advanced phone with a keyboard on Verizon and this fit the bill. I had NO idea of the full extent of how great Android is and the full extent of how much Google has integrated all of their properties into the phone itself. I had never used GMail much and since this used it I had to go really look at it and was amazed at all the other offerings like the calender, voice, picasa, goggles, etc... etc.... Honestly I am amazed at how well everything has been integrated and had I had any idea that this was going to happen I would have invested in Google stock much longer ago.

They have already cornered the search engine market and now they are going to do the same with mobile and I am totally amazed.

There are going to be 100+ handsets out there running Android which will get better EVERY DAY from here on out. It will be viral. The closest competitor is Apple which has not even attempted to make a mobile operating system. This leaves Apple in the dust. It's only a matter of time.

What a great conversation. Yes, Google has the world by the short hairs on new tech. Apple and Iphone had it for a while, but you're right, their heavy hand of control may be their downfall.

However, don't give Google a position of World Domination yet. They've got a business model that works, is customer-centric, and supports business as well as individual users. It's masterful marketing, vision, and strategy.

I'm not a Google Fanboy, but I do admire a company that not only responds, but ANTICIPATES market demand and creates products to fill that demand (can you spell GMAIL with free GIGAbytes of storage).....

Food for thought.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh and the Apple Tablet? If I can't put it in my pocket I'm not interested even if it gives blow jobs. (well ok, if it gave BJ's I'd buy it but I still wouldn't lug it around).