Nexus to Verizon in the Spring: Implications

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
First the disclaimers: I have no inside information about anything. Just speculating based on a number of years of watching the tech industry.

The only real news in the announcement this morning was that the Nexus would be available for VZW "in the spring." Several implications and questions.

() It appears that Google is serious about making the phone independent of service providers. I'm sure T-Mobile is less than thrilled about not having an exclusive for the phone and I strongly suspect that other providers are considering whether to get in line or be left out in the cold. Verizon's strong relationship with Google apparently determined their decision.

() From the reviews, it doesn't appear that Nexus brings much to the party in competition with the Droid other than (a) 2.1 and (b) a "curvier" and arguably sexier form factor. And for those who prefer a physical keyboard, it's a non-starter. Likewise, at least from the Engadget review, it appears the screen on the Nexus is difficult to read in the sun. Those weaknesses alone would make me keep my Droid but I suspect I'm part of a relatively small segment of the market.

So what exactly are VZW's incentives here. Should they try to minimize the differences between the two phones by upgrading the Android O/S as soon as possible to 2.1? That undoubtedly would make both Motorola and Droid owners happy. On the other hand, if Verizon is seriously jumping on the Google/Nexus bandwagon, why not provide a clear benefit on the Nexus side by providing enhanced features compared to the Droid?

I'm sure there would be much moaning and wailing on the part of Droid owners if VZW fails to upgrade the O/S this month when the rumors say it will happen. On the other hand, I suspect there is (or recently has been) a discussion going on within VZW around the issue of whether to orphan the Droid or make it a viable competitor to the Nexus.

Echo3

Reaction score
First the disclaimers: I have no inside information about anything. Just speculating based on a number of years of watching the tech industry.

The only real news in the announcement this morning was that the Nexus would be available for VZW "in the spring." Several implications and questions.

() It appears that Google is serious about making the phone independent of service providers. I'm sure T-Mobile is less than thrilled about not having an exclusive for the phone and I strongly suspect that other providers are considering whether to get in line or be left out in the cold. Verizon's strong relationship with Google apparently determined their decision.

() From the reviews, it doesn't appear that Nexus brings much to the party in competition with the Droid other than (a) 2.1 and (b) a "curvier" and arguably sexier form factor. And for those who prefer a physical keyboard, it's a non-starter. Likewise, at least from the Engadget review, it appears the screen on the Nexus is difficult to read in the sun. Those weaknesses alone would make me keep my Droid but I suspect I'm part of a relatively small segment of the market.

So what exactly are VZW's incentives here. Should they try to minimize the differences between the two phones by upgrading the Android O/S as soon as possible to 2.1? That undoubtedly would make both Motorola and Droid owners happy. On the other hand, if Verizon is seriously jumping on the Google/Nexus bandwagon, why not provide a clear benefit on the Nexus side by providing enhanced features compared to the Droid?

I'm sure there would be much moaning and wailing on the part of Droid owners if VZW fails to upgrade the O/S this month when the rumors say it will happen. On the other hand, I suspect there is (or recently has been) a discussion going on within VZW around the issue of whether to orphan the Droid or make it a viable competitor to the Nexus.

Between the Droid and the Nexus. I don't think it's a competition between the two, but a matter of choice. It doesn't make sense for VZW to pour so much money into marketing the Droid to only orphan it for the Nexus One in a matter of a few months. They will share the same OS, so it's just a matter of form of one's preference. Also, since Google will offer different handsets through their site than just the Nexus One.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Remember many people want a keyboard and that may be a big deciding factor between the Droid and the Nexus. Basically they are very close to the same phone as far as operating.

I would imagine by the time it gets to Verizon we will see many more Android phones come out.

I love my Droid. I think it looks better than the Nexus.

If I had to go to the store and decide between the two I'd pick the Droid for the keyboard. Now that I have Swype I would pick the Nexus if it would have Swype - the Droid if not.

I still think the Nexus is ugly and cheap looking.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sure T-Mobile is less than thrilled about not having an exclusive for the phone
TMO would have signed an exclusivity agreement if they had reached such an agreement so I can't imagine that they're really surprised. The N1 isn't locked to TMO anyway.

So what exactly are VZW's incentives here. Should they try to minimize the differences between the two phones by upgrading the Android O/S as soon as possible to 2.1?
You know, the Droid isn't VZW's only Android device...

On the other hand, I suspect there is (or recently has been) a discussion going on within VZW around the issue of whether to orphan the Droid or make it a viable competitor to the Nexus.
Why do you think it's an either-or thing?

Last edited:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure T-Mobile is less than thrilled about not having an exclusive for the phone
TMO would have signed an exclusivity agreement if they had reached such an agreement so I can't imagine that they're really surprised. The N1 isn't locked to TMO anyway.

So what exactly are VZW's incentives here. Should they try to minimize the differences between the two phones by upgrading the Android O/S as soon as possible to 2.1?
You know, the Droid isn't VZW's only Android device...

On the other hand, I suspect there is (or recently has been) a discussion going on within VZW around the issue of whether to orphan the Droid or make it a viable competitor to the Nexus.
Why do you think it's an either-or thing?

It's not either or. the Droid is going to be the flagship device for VZW. The N1 will have it's place in the Droid line. Remeber the two devices are very close to eachother. After watching all day , reading, chattting, and looking. The Droid is a nicer device. The Snapdragon is ok, but the Droid is rock solid hardware with both a GPU and CPU. The N1 doesn't have that. Plus the Drois is made of heavier material. I am not a fan of the N1's plastic housing. I will probably buy the N1 when it comes to VZW. Just because I can :). If I had to chose on soec. The Droid would win hands down.

Echo3

Reaction score
I will probably buy the N1 when it comes to VZW. Just because I can :). If I had to chose on soec. The Droid would win hands down.

In that case, can you buy me one too...you know, just because you can? :icon_ devil:

djstar2k2

Reaction score
idk but but i think tmo aint mad cuz they r 1st and by the time vzw gets the N1 tmo would have made crazy money of it. and tmo will rack up cuz they have the cheapest plans out of the big 4 plus the coverage is pretty good so ill keep my droid but if the N1 had a physical key board i would eat the nexus up lol

Domestic violence

Reaction score
with the powerhouse that the DROID is, along with a $100,000,000 marketing blitz- the DROID is here to stay

Nedaroth

Reaction score
I think also the fact that verizon is spending millions to advertise the Droid during the super bowl is a good sign that they intend to stand behind it.

Edmvr6

Reaction score
I hope Verizon dont play the Droid like they did the storm. I remember when the first storm came out it was all over the place, not as much as the Droid but it was there. Then when the strom 2 came out I think they had one commercial on TV during the world series and we never heard from the poor device again, they focused and put all there money and attention on the Droid. Now I hope they dont do that to the Droid once the Nexus 1 arrives, I would be pissed off. You know this must have bothered Motorola big time.

cb2000a

Reaction score
For all you that are hot on the N1 remember Moto has an awesome multimedia phone coming this spring that will blow the N1 away. We have seen glimpses of this beauty with the huge 4.3 inch screen, super thin body, 8mp camera, and HDMI out. As for me I will stick with the flagship Droid for the next year (and wait for the software to catch up). What's is exciting is the incredible shift in peoples interest to the Android OS in the last month.

Edmvr6

Reaction score
For all you that are hot on the N1 remember Moto has an awesome multimedia phone coming this spring that will blow the N1 away. We have seen glimpses of this beauty with the huge 4.3 inch screen, super thin body, 8mp camera, and HDMI out. As for me I will stick with the flagship Droid for the next year (and wait for the software to catch up). What's is exciting is the incredible shift in peoples interest to the Android OS in the last month.

Is there a name for this phone? will it be an android?

wil318466

Reaction score
Sorry guys.. but I'm not sure if you guys are correct in your assessment. This isn't a Verizon thing. Its a Google thing.

I think Verizon has very limited say to what is going on with the Droid. In fact, I think Motorola has very limited say also. when I say limited, I mean more like "none".

When the phone updates is up to GOOGLE, not Verizon. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong here, if anyone knows for sure) This is a Google OS operated device. The hardware is Motorola (who, from what I read, was pretty much "told" how to make this phone from Google) and the network is of course, Verizon. These are 3 different entities. Each has their incentive, but Google has the upper hand, I believe.

Remember, Verizon has been notorious for locking down their phones. Vcast, that Verizon Navigator crap... I think Verizon realized they WILL keep bleeding customers to AT&T and other networks because they just *couldn't* do the things other networks could do because they limited the devices. This is why Verizon has had the worst selection of smart phones for years. Verizon wanted to capitalize by charging for each and every vcast whatever service they offered. It didn't work.

Verizon had to realize they needed to open up. They absolutely had to offer an alternative to the iPhone. We all know people who left Verizon to get an iPhone. I had iPhone envy. Most people I knew on the Verizon network did also, but just weren't willing to goto a crappy network.

Verizon cares about the residual. They want the monthly bill. They know they will get more $ per customer, also, because Smartphone users tend to use their phones A LOT more than regular users. Look at me as an example. My bill went from 45 dollars a month total to 103 a month. Multiple that by a few million people, for the foreseeable future, and you can see whats in it for them.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent, but my point is that I think Google decides when and where, not Verizon, and definately not Motorola.

-Wil

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
People need to also understand that Google also had a hand in the development of the Moto handset.

It's a well choreographed dance. The millions spent on advertising was for a reason. The Droid shall remain their flagship device for many years.

I think all the hype has clouded peoples reality : ) The N1 is a great phone indeed but it's NOT a replacement for the hardware you now have. It's merely another choice. When they throw 2.1 on the Droid you will in fact essentially have the EXACT same capabilities and OS as the N1. No difference at all.

It will come down to, keyboard or not, HTC or Moto Hardware. Those are the only things that are going to separate the devices. The speed difference will be negligible and more than likely not even noticeable.

Keep in mind also that 2.1 will be optimized to take advantage of the Droids GPU. Those fancy wallpaper animations can be handled by the GPU and free up resources for other things. The Droids cpu is a powerhouse as is the Snapdragon it's just a matter of tweaking the OS to run on the different hardware.

When we get 2.1 we will essentially be holding a brand "new" device.

Personally I do not like the thin HTC plastic phones. Moto's hardware is stellar in my opinion, but thats MY preference. Some will prefer the HTC hardware.

Thats what it comes down to_ preference_

People that are looking for a whole new experience will be disappointed. 2.1 is 2.1 is 2.1

We are not talking about one device running 2.1 and the other 3.0. That would be something that would have implications.

Gunghoray

Reaction score
wil318466 has a very insightful perspective on the subject. I think you're spot on about Motorola's influence. They're making parts and pieces and putting them together according to Google's blueprint. Not a big deal, but VERY important to the consumer's experience. Since that's now done and committed, they don't have a lot of input into future updates.

I think Verizon has more input that you give credit, but I'm not at their table, so, like you, I'm just supposing. However, there are HUNDREDS of millions of dollars on the table here, and I don't think VZW would pony up that ante without a significant voice in the development. Supply side economics would drive this. ATT couldn't begin to offer Google anything with their network already being swamped. Sprint is a non-player on coverage, plus they're DOWNSIZING like crazy. T-Mobile has good marketing but lousy coverage, and promises to be in the ATT basket of overextended and underfunded if they took on Droid.

That left VZW being the real only game in town with promise for a company like Google, who doesn't enter a venture without strong upside potential and minimal downside possibility.

Just food for thought. I HOPE Verizon has had a "Come to Jesus" experience with Google by endorsing open platforms and features.

Time, Supply, and Demand will tell.