nexus tether on verizon

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
I have a nexus, and I want to root it, I have a 5GB data limit on my plan, if I use my nexus to tether to my computer via USB will it use all my data up, to down load what I need for the root, and jellybean ROM?

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Average JB Rom is about 120 mg, and Wug's root toolkit is not big at all. You will need drivers, stock rooted boot image through the Tool Kit... i would say all together you will be under a half a gig...

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I have a nexus, and I want to root it, I have a 5GB data limit on my plan, if I use my nexus to tether to my computer via USB will it use all my data up, to down load what I need for the root, and jellybean ROM?

If you are asking does tethering count against you for your data plan, then yes. While they may not be tagging you with tethering, they still realize you are transferring data, and any transfer of data that uses their network counts against you. There are only a few exceptions, OTA updates as an example shouldn't count against you.

OP
DROID MONSTER

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
But I'm using the tether that comes stock on the phone, so how would I be hurting them or myself?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
But I'm using the tether that comes stock on the phone, so how would I be hurting them or myself?
In order to use that feature, they expect you to get the hotspot data plan (another $20/mo). If you use it without getting that plan Verizon has the right to charge you by adding the hotspot plan to your current plan.

OP
DROID MONSTER

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
But its not the wifi tether, its thru USB , you hook your phone to the computer and it tethers the internet connection thru the computer

Newps

Reaction score
It doesn't matter where the data goes. If it comes thru your phone then it goes against your data plan. If you are taking and putting stuff on your phone from your computers internet connection then you are simply transferring files and this has nothing to do with data.

wolstonc

Reaction score
There may be a miscommunication here. I think the newer tiered plans include hotspots... or at least the 5gb does. I could be wrong