Nexus Rumors: Two New Phones, but No New Tablets

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-logo-3.jpg

It's that time of the year again... time for tons of new Nexus rumors. The latest intel basically echoes reports we shared previously... namely that a new Nexus 5 will be coming from LG and that a new Nexus 6 will be coming from Huawei. However, we do have a few new details to go along with this.

First, it looks like Google will not be making a new Nexus tablet this year, and will instead stick with the current Nexus 9 until next year. Second, we now have a couple of extra specific tidbits regarding the two devices. Here's a breakdown:

The Nexus 5 is the LG Bullhead (internal codename) -
  • 5.2-inch
  • Battery (around) 2700mAh
  • Snapdragon 808
The Nexus 6 is the Huawei Angler (internal codename) -
  • 5.7-inch screen
  • Snapdragon 810
  • Battery (around) 3500mAh
As you can see, a few of these details are repeated from previous leaks. The main new info is the internal codenames of these devices. These included names offer a bit more credibility to the leak overall. Of course, you should still take this report with a grain of salt as with all rumors.

[*Update: When we first shared this post we had the internal names for the two devices reversed by accident. The OP has since been updated to correct the mistake, and we apologize for any confusion.]

Source: AndroidPolice

Last edited:

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I love that there's a choice. We'll see how Huawei does, pretty excited to see the next gen Nexi

on the move..

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not surprised, tablets have taken a steep decline and the nexus 9 did not do so well.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
why whyy whyyy????? Im fine with two diff sizes but have them same oem make both. Two diff Nexi will lead to two diff lines of development and we all know the fragment problem in Android. Couple that with the face of Android being split in two smh. Apple did it right, two phones but identical except for obvious ram and the like, but thats understandable. But two completely diff oem's make lead to a problem especially if one is superior/inferior to the other. UNLESSSSSSS, one is international and one is US, that would be ideal...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well it's not Android that's fragmented, it's the manufacturers who fragment Android. Most all recent Nexi are on the same Android version. There's only a divide because manufacturers and carriers insist on injecting their own software into the device, delaying updates or just dropping support altogether. And from what I've read Huawei makes some pretty good devices, so I don't know if one is superior to the other, especially since neither have been released in order to make that judgement.

on the move..

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am not sure this is all such a good idea. Not sure about Huawei and it does seem like these phones will compete with each other.

Questions:
  • Is .5" difference enough to be considered different sized devices? IE why not go to a full 6" on the Huawei?
  • Has Huawei sufficiently dealt with the 810's overheating problem?
  • Will buyers opt for a Huawei made device over LG?

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Well it's not Android that's fragmented, it's the manufacturers who fragment Android. Most all recent Nexi are on the same Android version. There's only a divide because manufacturers and carriers insist on injecting their own software into the device, delaying updates or just dropping support altogether. And from what I've read Huawei makes some pretty good devices, so I don't know if one is superior to the other, especially since neither have been released in order to make that judgement.

on the move..
Well let me say it this way....Does Samsung build mobiles with the same quality as Apple? Short answer = no. Thats my point, one company WILL value diff aspects of the manufacturing diff than the next, thats both human nature and business. Another example would be Benz vs BMW. One is more supple while the other is more aggressive. The point is 2 diff companies will give you two diff products. Same way you cant follow a recipe that your grandmother gave you herself and get it to taste exactly like hers, it simply wont because you're not her. Same thing applies to manufacturing thats all. But like I said, the ideal thing would be one for international and the other for US.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you seen or handled the S6? I take it, no. Have you also handled a Huawei device? I'm also going to guess no. So how can you have such a strong judgement on a device that hasn't been sold heavily in the US? And these devices, the Nexus line, aren't open to free interpretation by the manufacturer, they have to meet criterion set by Google, meaning they can't differ too much from what the Nexus line stands for. And your car car manufacturer example doesn't exactly fit. You're talking two entirely different companies making two competing products. This isn't Huawei vs LG. These two phones aren't going to be selling against each other. They're going to be selling alongside each other.

on the move..

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Have you seen or handled the S6? I take it, no. Have you also handled a Huawei device? I'm also going to guess no. So how can you have such a strong judgement on a device that hasn't been sold heavily in the US? And these devices, the Nexus line, aren't open to free interpretation by the manufacturer, they have to meet criterion set by Google, meaning they can't differ too much from what the Nexus line stands for. And your car car manufacturer example doesn't exactly fit. You're talking two entirely different companies making two competing products. This isn't Huawei vs LG. These two phones aren't going to be selling against each other. They're going to be selling alongside each other.

on the move..
Dude youre missing my point and twisting what Im saying. Have I encountered the S6? Yes. Did I say Huawei was better/worse than the next? NOOO. I said if one is superior to the other, and I say that because two diff companies will have two diff outlooks when it comes to manufacturing. Hell even mother nature cant make perfect twins lol. Mirror twins may look strongly similar but one is taller, bigger, blue eyes vs grey eyes, etc. Im saying you cant two diff separate persons to give you the same end results. Thats why I mentioned it would be good if one is US and international. ORRRRR if they are indeed two completely diff mobiles that have no ties to each other thus making the car analogy fit quite well. Oh and nothing sells alongside another product because youre getting one or the other, unless its an upsale.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not really sure you understand your point. You mentioned Android fragmentation, one product being superior to the other (ie better), and also Samsungs inability to make a superior (better) product to Apple. What does all of this have to do with the fact that they'll be two Nexus devices? This argument has kind of derailed and is really irrelevant. There will be two Nexus products and they'll be aimed at satisfying different markets. If you want your car analogy to work, the two Nexus devices would need to be near identical and directly competiting. Neither of those two are. The Nexus program has been all about giving different OEMs a shot. All that aside, I think it's great we get a choice this go around.

on the move..

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Ok i see you got lost with the car analogy. However, Im basically saying by having two completely diff devices you'll get two diff behaviors/results from the phones. With the IP6 and IP6+ they are the same with one just bigger so you get similar results and expectations, well these are two completely diff phones (diff internals and the like) so you can expect two completely behaviors. Like getting an S6 and the M9 and calling both a Nexus, sure they have the same software but they're not running it equally because they are not gonna be running equal/identical internals like the dreaded iphones...

edit - or even simpler, does the Nexus 5 handle things the same way the Nexus 6 does and do GPE devices handle things as well as a true Nexus? No. Why not, because its two completely phones. Two nexi could/will work if they do it like Apple, same phone one just bigger...

Last edited:

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I fully understand what you're trying to say, you're just not making it very clear, or using the best analogies, or grasping what the Nexus program is all about. But this is going nowhere. Carry on.