Nexus Prime vs Galaxy Nexus

mwahlquist

Reaction score
Anyone else disappointed with the final name? Any reason we as a community should refer to our "custom" GNex phones as Primes anyway?

Anyone else support this?

nbucko

Reaction score
You could call it the flaming pile of dog poo for all I care. I'm just happy to have it in my hands.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
mwahlquist

mwahlquist

Reaction score
yeah i though about that... wonder if the trademark from transformers kept our phone from going that route, or if asus already staked an official claim.

I suppose it will have to stay the gnex.

jasonduffy

Reaction score
I personally liked nexus prime better but I just call it a nexus. As Verizon doesn't have any other nexus phones

jcardona1

Reaction score
I prefer Galaxy Nexus. Prime reminds me too much of the Droid brand and sounds like something made by Mototurd. No thanks

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Prime was a name "we" gave this device almost half a year ago. It was NEVER going to be called Prime according to Samsung.

mtnbst

Reaction score
You could call it the flaming pile of dog poo for all I care. I'm just happy to have it in my hands.

Amen:)

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
How is this related to development of the Nexus. Post in the proper sections.

SniperDroid

Reaction score
I have enough trouble with the duality of everyday life, don't add to the mess!

OP
mwahlquist

mwahlquist

Reaction score
Fair enough.. the people have spoken.

This was posted in the dev section as I was proposing the nickname prime for only custom gnex's = one's that had been dev'ed. bad idea. got it. conceded.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the name. I think the industry has a real problem with reusing names. There are SO MANY NAMES you could pick, and yet we ended up with Galaxy Nexus.

Both "Galaxy" and "Nexus" refer to other phones and devices.

"I have the Galaxy"
"Oh, cool - how do you like the tablet? That's a 10 inch screen, right?"

"I have the Nexus"
"Oh nice, I'm a big fan of HTC, too"

And actually, while we're complaining about names. The "Samsung Galaxy Nexus" doesn't even fully describe the phone. There are two VERY different models. The GSM and the LTE. Normally, GSM vs CDMA wouldn't matter much, as it's all internal. But with the Galaxy Nexus, the batteries are different shapes and sizes. So if you want a charger or replacement battery, you have to be very careful when ordering. You can't just get a battery for a Samsung Galaxy Nexus - you have to make sure you pick i515 or i9250. And that's not even getting to the fact that most places quote the wrong device name and model number anyway.

At least it's not "Droid" anymore. That was a disaster of a name choice from the day it was announced. May as well have just called it "phone".