Nexus One.....

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by DroidFan, Dec 15, 2009.

1. DroidFan

DroidFan Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    Oh well, to me it's worse then the droid because it looks terrible. It has a snapdragon processor.. welcome to the only thing i've seen only slightly better then the droid.

3. Dragoro

Dragoro Member

Ratings:
    +0

Yeah i dont care for its appearance either, and even though i dont use it much, no physical keyboard is a killer for me. Learned that lesson in Chicago during the winter and couldnt do nothing with the phone for like an hour till i stood inside long enough for the phone to be warm enough to recognize me touching it. Got rid of the iphone a week after that.

4. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually think it looks quite nice, nothing mind-blowing though. Also, I don't get why everyone is so excited for the snapdragon processor. In a post I read it claimed that it's only 5% faster than the one in the droid. Although I have heard it is more battery efficient. And it has an AMOLED display, although the battery savings would better would it look as good as the droid's screen?

5. romeov

romeov Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a nice phone and all, but I'm not interested with no physical keyboard. I'm sure it will be great though. I don't like the look of it, thank God I have such a good looking Droi---oh wait.. nevermind on that one :)

What I do drool over is android 2.1 and the full speech recognition the device has (ie: respond to emails and sms just by speaking) but as we learned with Google Nav.. it will release exclusive to the Nexus, then be released for the rest of us via the market like 2 weeks later :)

6. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If Google continuously wants to push "Google Phones" down the throat of its competitors and betray the carriers and cell companies that push their operating system, do not be surprised if Microsoft completely revamps WinMobile to compete with Apple and leave Android in the dust.

There is a reason why Apple does not license out their OS to use on other cell phones..and why Microsoft never made a "MS Phone."

Kudos to Verizon for stopping the monopoly of Google...this time.

7. sixtytwo

sixtytwo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You know, the reasons why I moved to droid are because of its keyboard and the fact that it's not trying to be an iphone.

By that I mean that too many phones out there are trying to conform to the iPhone's form factor of super rounded edges and a lack of a physical keyboard. The Nexus is one of them. It looks like a rebranded HTC Hero, and that's just about as exciting as a fork whipping mashed potatoes.

How many more mutant iPhone lookalikes do we need?

8. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed...if Google ever does try to promote it heavily it won't be hard for Apple to simply say, "hey I wonder where you got that idea from." Not only was Google's logic behind coming out with a phone faulted and leaves them extremely vulnerable now going in the future of the Mobile OS wars with cell manufacturers and companies awaiting to see if they backstab them, the decision to have an iPhone rip off was another lapse in judgment.

Remember though people T-Mobile is the only carrier currently that will outwardly support this phone. It may have an unlocked capability for AT&T but it is yet to be seen if they will support it wholeheartedly. I would expect them to due to Apple possibly jumping ship to Verizon at the end of 2010 but who knows. Google is walking a fine line right and is in danger of putting their Android OS in jeopardy.

(Keep in mind it was Google that told the cell manufacturers and companies that they would produce the software [Android OS] and would stay out of the hardware department. Sorry Google but paying a company like HTC to produce a phone for you does not allow for a loophole. That is acting like a weasel.)

9. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How exactly would Google be "betraying" carriers? The Nexus One doesn't operate through the ether. It still requires service from carriers and that's where they make their money. I can see arguing that competing with the phone manufacturers probably isn't the best idea.

What makes you think that Microsoft has anything up its sleeves? Is this just all random speculation or can you cite sources?

How is this germane to Google? Citing both doesn't make any sense to me. Are you arguing that Google should adopt Apple's approach or MS's? They're in complete opposition.

We'll get as many as they think they can sell. And as long as people fixate on image...

10. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Takeshi...I don't want to rephrase all the articles and posts I have made in this regard. A simple look up of previous posts or go to the actual editorial/news articles referencing this and your solution is upon you. And ask yourself why would Verizon ever turn down a "Google phone" like they did to Apple...Its not like this was not done months in advance before deciding the phone would be a GSM prisoned phone. Also, carriers typically like to be in control of the phone, so when a company like Google wants to sell unlocked phones to be used on other networks, which it doesn't so happen to be actually "UNLOCKED" now does it, then carriers lose control. Control = Power - over the consumer. So it looks as if right now T-Mobile is the main carrier while AT&T should be compatible. We all know how good Android OS's succeeded on T-Mobile right? ;)

Oh and...

-It was stating a fact about the Apple and Microsoft. Apple has created an OS and a phone but does not license out their software and has never wanted to....unlike Google's vision of Android [But now it seems they want the best of both worlds.]

-Microsoft makes an OS and has pushed manufacturers to use it, while not getting in to the hardware industry.

On the other hand Google has tried to release an OS for manufacturers to use so it can become one of the main mobile OS's and now has goals of actually becoming involved in the hardware industry by promoting a phone as theirs.

How does translating facts turn in to me trying to say Google should go one way or the other? Enlighten...or are you simply trying to put words in my mouth.

edit: apparently in an article just cited in a later response the "Google Phone" may be limited to strictly Edge speeds on AT&T...this news means the phone would not be promoted as a legitimate device on the network. It may be imprisoned to T-Mobile, as I state in a later response on the next page.

11. destrekor

destrekor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't a Google Phone any more than the Motorola Droid was a "Google Phone". Actually, a better comparison would be the Nexus One to the HTC Magic.

The Nexus One is simply the ADP3, and Google will sell it unlocked (and rooted, unless I am mistaken about the ADPs) as a Dev unit, but expect to shell out full MSRP for that privilege. Otherwise, it will be subsidized and appears to be a T-Mobile phone, to receive some T-Mobile branding most likely.

This isn't official mind you, but this is easily a predictable situation based on everything prior in regards to the ADPs. There seems to be nothing special released so far, and every time an ADP is released, it shocks and confuses the media.

Google is going the Windows Mobile platform route - simply licensing (though not "licensing", as there is no license fee) the OS to manufacturers. Either Google will work directly with them and craft the experience in the way they desire (to be timed with a new OS version release), or the manufacturer will be free to do whatever they want with the OS. For the former, they are "Google Experience" phones, for the latter, whatever the manufacturer wants to call it so long as the name "Google" is not found on the outside of the product.

These rumors of Google making a phone for the sole purpose of selling it under the Google brand, unlocked, as a VOIP-specific device, etc etc etc, are all ridiculous. Google is focusing on software, crafting a better OS, and letting the manufacturers and service providers go their own route. If they want to contact Google and make something more special, they're happy to oblige. But the only phones Google will be selling are the developer units, known as ADP phones.

These phones are designed alongside a manufacturer (HTC has been enjoying this role solely thus far), with the hardware all hand picked, and then given to Google employees and sold to any developer who wants it, as ADP# models, and then the exact same model (as a Google Experience phone) is released into the wild on some carrier (thus far, T-Mobile has gotten first dibs on the fresh ADP-to-market models, the G1 and MyTouch).
    I sense a very predictable trend.
    HTC Dream, becomes ADP1, then is released as T-Mobile G1. (the holy Google Phone! LOOK, even comes without HTC branding!)
    HTC Magic, becomes ADP2, then released as T-Mobile MyTouch (Google Phone again, oh wait, rumors shot down yet again)
    HTC Nexus One (?), becomes ADP3, likely to be released on T-Mobile as ...........

12. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Destrekor, no offense but that is being naive. The "Google Phone" is Google's phone. Google is paying HTC to manufacture their phone. This is not the same as any phone produced by HTC. This is not the same as Motorola using the Android OS on the "Droid". There is a big difference. This phone has not been designed by HTC, it has been designed by Google. HTC has taken the instructions and followed through. Google looked specifically for a manufacturer to produce the phone. Fortunately Verizon struck down any idea of a true "unlocked" phone back in the planning stages...this is the reason the phone has turned in to a T-Mobile promoted phone with the capability of being on AT&T and GSM. (edit: according to a later response, the phone may actually only have Edge capability on AT&T, therefore making it invalid as a legitimate phone on the network.)

If I tell you to trust me and that I won't drive your car while your gone but call my friend up and tell him I'll pay him 100 dollars to take me to go visit someone and to drive your car...I am being a weasel.

13. destrekor

destrekor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your taking the word of people who have already been wrong before.

You see what you want to see, and I see the obvious patterns, but in the end, what I want to see. ;)
    We'll just have to wait till around Mid-January to see who is right at this point, but I am firm in my belief this is simply internet rumor junkies flinging around baseless ideas about yet another Google Phone, when all that so far remains clear is Google is handing their employees the ADP3.

Have you followed the previous ADP releases at all? Seen ANY of the similarities, nee the exact same situations, as the scenario is playing out at the moment?

Re-reading all the employee twitters, I am basically guaranteeing this is ADP3.

edit:
    Google also worked with Motorola and Verizon on the Droid, how much they "designed" the case of the phone is unknown, but they were involved with the phone. Not so much with the Motorola Cliq or HTC Hero.

14. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If it becomes limited to T-Mobile then I will agree...the problem is many of those initial phones released were to show the potential of the Android OS and was done as a way to get it out in the public.

Google's original vision was to sell this "Google Phone" as an unlocked phone on all carriers. The problem is that Verizon seemed to reject this notion and Google therefore made it a GSM related phone. I agree in that AT&T has made no mention of a potential "Google Phone" and may not have any intention of promoting it. In this case Google's initial vision has been shattered even further than originally and more-so than just because Verizon said no.

If they do allow the phone to work on their network, since it is GSM, then Google's vision will be reached at about 50%. But it will still not truly be an "unlocked" phone transcending all carriers.

(edit: as the following article states, the phone may be limited to Edge on AT&T, therefore making it an invalid legitimate device for the network to promote, unless this is somehow fixed.)

15. adam8ch

adam8ch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Google's intent was to make the most advanced android phone be carrier independant, so everyone would have access to it. How often have you wanted a phone, but its on another network and you don't want to switch for it? Living where I live, Verizon is the best network to be on, and I'm not going to change for any phone.

It seems that the Nexus One is going to be limited to T-Mobile though, Nexus One limited to T-Mobile 3G in the U.S. – Android and Me

I don't think the Nexus One is going to be the ADP3. I think that will be called the HTC Passion.

Who knows, maybe Google will release a carrier independant version of the phone unsubsidized, unlocked, and contract free. One of the HTC code names discovered in the HTC 2.1 rom leak was HTC PassionC, which I assume is the CDMA variant of the Passion. I really like my droid, but I wouldn't mind having a Passion/Nexus One as well if the reviews come in Stellar.