Nexus One vs. iPhone - On the same battlefield

gentlefury

Reaction score
I thought the Google phone is primarily for T-Mobile (although will work on ATT's GSM network)?

The initial release of the Nexus One will not have the hardware necessary for it to communicate with AT&T's GSM network, only T-Mobile's. They use different bands, if I'm understanding correctly.

It won't have the hardware necessary to communicate with AT&T's 3G bands, those are on different frequencies. It will however, still work on their Edge network, which is painfully slow.

I don't really see the difference. 3G is so scarce (sure a lot of times your iPhone says you are using 3G...but you all know it's edge) you might as well just use it on edge all the time. Hell most iPhoners switch their phone off 3G to save on the horribly short battery life.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The initial release of the Nexus One will not have the hardware necessary for it to communicate with AT&T's GSM network, only T-Mobile's. They use different bands, if I'm understanding correctly.

It won't have the hardware necessary to communicate with AT&T's 3G bands, those are on different frequencies. It will however, still work on their Edge network, which is painfully slow.

I don't really see the difference. 3G is so scarce (sure a lot of times your iPhone says you are using 3G...but you all know it's edge) you might as well just use it on edge all the time. Hell most iPhoners switch their phone off 3G to save on the horribly short battery life.

All the more reason to just go to Verizon... Even in the middle of nowhere (e.g. on horse trials in the middle of the woods) Verizons data network is, IME WAY faster than AT&Ts was even in the middle of downtown Nashville with 3G turned on a full signal. Not to mention is nice to be able to actually make phone calls (something even the best AT&T phones struggle with).

bass_lover1

Reaction score

Where I live, when I had my 3GS I was on 3G about 98% of the time. Only rarely would I be switched to Edge. On the other hand, I would drop/disconnect calls all the time.

swickdick

Reaction score
I don't know why people keep talking about this on this forum. Its titled 'droid news' not nexus one news

DesertEagle

Reaction score
Made a little comparison chart: :)
Nexus-vs-iPhone.jpg

drbob

Reaction score
Nice chart.

Couple of comments:

1. Controls: iPhone also has a volume switch on the side

2. Multitask: iPhone multitasks the phone (and iPod as you noted) with almost all Apps, including email and web (with simultaneous voice and data.)

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Also, if you are reading this, chances are you not only prefer android (otherwise why are you on the forum?) but that you are the kind of person who takes the time to learn a platform. I don't think that's the general public, though that seems to be changing as people become more and more tech savvy."

You know, it is a quandry, because if that is true, and I agree on smartphones, it seems to me that your average Mac user knows their OS better than the average PC user ... I had to laugh when I realized this in dealing with computer on site service.

when I have a device, I want to do what I want with it, period. Update firmware, etc.

Anyone ever look to see what you have than can be updated? Lots: your DVD players, BD Players, portables, it's maddening to keep up at times. :)