Nexus One Sold Only 20,000 Units In The First Week ?

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by Edmvr6, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

Ruh Roh. According to data gathered by Flurry, which provides mobile analytics, the hotly anticipated and insanely hyped Nexus One may have only sold 20,000 units in the first week. Translation: that's not a lot. In fact, that's a heck of a lot less than what the Droid did (250,000 in its first week) and certainly leaves a lot of ground to catch up on given that analysts have estimated that the Nexus One would sell 5-6 million units for this year.
    Obviously, since there hasn't been much traditional advertising of the Nexus One (unlike the Droid) and you can only buy the Nexus One from Google.com/phone, perhaps Google is handcuffing the potential earnings of this phone. After all, it is the best Android available, it should absolutely be successful. Or maybe sales will be mediocre until it hits Verizon and then we can compare apples to apples--sort of.
    Would you consider 20,000 Nexus Ones sold in the first week to be a success or a failure? Or is it way too early to tell? Let us know!

I think its 50-50.. Google didnt advertise like the DROID did.. I dont think its a failure cause its to early to tell, but its not looking good at all, could become a disaster if google does not address this issue quick.

Another reason why Im so happy I stuck to my Droid.
  2. StupidGenius

StupidGenius Member

Not surprising but OUCH!!!

Until it's available at brick & mortar stores and/or Verizon, this won't change much. An online-sales only model works primarily in Europe. I don't think the U.S. and Canada will adopt this method of buying too easily.
  3. souljerr

souljerr New Member

I would call the phone itself a failure yet (agree it's too early to tell) but the launch itself is a major fail! 20,000 the first week?!?! Online only sales + weak advertising = terrible launch.
  4. WERA689

WERA689 DF Administrator Staff Member

I tend to subscribe to the theory that this release of the Nexus One is the equivalent of a "soft launch"...a means of testing the waters for the sales model and support channels. I think that once these matters are in hand, the phone will be released for other carriers and a more concerted marketing push will take place. Of course, I could be wrong. ;)
  5. souljerr

souljerr New Member

Judging by how "prepared" they were to provide support for the Nexus One, you may be right. Just think how bad things would have been had they sold several hundred thousand.