Nexus One review is actually favorable to Droid

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by astronaut, Jan 5, 2010.

1. astronaut

astronaut Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Engadget have put up a detailed review of the Nexus One phone and throughout the article they compare it to the Droid. The Droid actually comes out looking pretty darn good. Here's a quote:

"What it made us realize, however, is that an Android phone is really better off with a keyboard, and we were longing to get back to the Droid a number of times while using this device."

The full article is here.

2. justbob

justbob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just finished reading that before I came over here. Yes, I got the same impression. I think that the first release is probably a bit on the conservative side -- just using a config that's known to be stable. I would imagine that they're going to start taking advantage of that extra ROM and MHz in the near future though. :)

3. JaCelica2k

JaCelica2k Member

Ratings:
    +1
    IMHO extra RAM + Mhz = less battery life which they cant afford. Eventually....maybe.....near term......I kinda doubt it

4. andrewdoane

andrewdoane Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This has to be said in every single Nexus One thread on this forum. I will say it myself where it doesn't get said by others.

VERIZON.

There, I said it. Droid is on Verizon. Nexus One is not. I love the keyboard, battery life, etc. but Verizon is the only thing that matters. If they make a CDMA Nexus One and put it on Verizon, then I start wondering if I ought to pony up and switch. For now, no decision to be made.

5. mike770

mike770 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well said!

6. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Could not agree with you more! It can have all the bells and whistles in the world, but if it only works on a less superior network then whats the point.

7. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not proven that the processor is more power hungry (and increased RAM is negligible on battery life), so I would refrain from those statements for the time being for fairness sake. Also, processors have the ability to scale fairly easily now, so they use what they need.

The Nexus One has a "better" (read: higher tech) display, but also has a slightly smaller resolution (800x480). The main positive to it is it improves battery life. How much, we don't know yet, but either way, that lends extra battery usage time to increased processing power,(if it indeed does use more battery) to stay comparable to the droid.

Negatives of the Nexus One :
    1. Comes with only a 4GB sd card (still upgradable to 16GB and 32GB though)
    2. No keyboard (I neeeed a keyboard)
    3. Screen reflects way too much as shown in the review, and makes it difficult to use in sunlight (pro vampire clearly)
    4. For some people, lack of decent carrier options ;)

8. astronaut

astronaut Member

Ratings:
    +0

Engadget actually mentions this too.

"As far as connections and 3G pickup, the Nexus fared as well as our iPhone did when traveling, but -- surprise, surprise -- neither of these could touch Verizon. For instance, at JFK airport, we had no trouble placing calls on the Droid, but both the Nexus One and iPhone were completely incommunicado."

9. broosewee

broosewee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What's up with the 4GB SD card? Even the Eris ships with 8GB. The Nexus One is such a mixed bag of feelings. But it does make me happy with my Droid :)

10. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    only positive for the nexus one that i got out of the review, was that the video wallpapers run smoother in the background... the extra RAM really helps here... on the Droid, there is noticable lag with any of the animated wallpapers (i am using the "blades of grass" one now, and that works pretty well though)

11. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused on that too. I understand the 4GB card with subsidized phones, but for those who plan on buying outright for $500+ might feel a little shafted.

12. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    4gb or 16gb though, i'm ready to dump mine for a 32gb class 4 or class 6

13. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have to take in to consideration though that you're using a non-official rom (so to speak). It could definitely be improved greatly for the droid once the update comes along.

14. ice456789

ice456789 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    No multi-touch + no hardware keyboard = no gaming. No SNESoid, no real games at all unless they use the accelerometer.

15. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It can do multi touch, it's up to the developer to incorporate it though. For example, Dolphin Browser. I agree that it would be nice to have multi touch built in though for google maps.