1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

"nexus one" going to tmobile..

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by winbricks, Dec 13, 2009.

1. winbricks

winbricks New Member

2. spalding12

spalding12 New Member

who knows why companies make these decision
    i guess that verizon figured it didn't need so many GOOGLE-BASED phones.... right?
  3. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

4. BWJunior

BWJunior New Member

Verizon also said no a few years ago when Apple approached them with what was to become the iPhone. You would think that they would have learned something from that.
  5. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

I believe there's quite a bit more to that story.

The reason they went with t-mob was because it's a GSM based phone. So they only had a limited option to go with in the first place, and with so much flak that AT&T is getting about their network, it seems smarter to go with the company that is not being all out attacked by verizon.
  6. myriad46

myriad46 New Member

I'm a little confused. What makes this a "Google Phone" any more than other android devices?

I thought the Google Phone was going to be a data-only device that used google voice instead of getting in bed with a cell phone company. Is the Nexus One being built by Google. It looks like the same general specs as the Droid, with the exception of the AMOLED screen.

Am I missing something?
  7. BWJunior

BWJunior New Member

From what I am reading the reason they went with GSM was because Verizon declined Google's initial overtures to promote the new device and T-Mobile was plan B. Considering HTC is making it, putting a CDMA radio in it would not have been an issue.
  8. spalding12

spalding12 New Member

touché, my friend
  9. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

But haven't they really limited their selfs to limited coverage? When I had T-Mobile coverage was pretty much limited to main highways/cities etc has it improved that much?
  10. BWJunior

BWJunior New Member

In my case, by going with GSM they have severely limited it. South Dakota currently has no GSM coverage but to answer your question, T-Mobile will only be a partner as Google also plans to sell the phone unlocked and unsubsidized so you can pop in a SIM from any GSM provider and use it.
  11. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

i'm with you there... i thought exactly what you were thinking... however, rumors are rumors and nothing more. and it's too tempting for Goog to jump into the market early, for the $$$

google phone 2.0 will probably be VoIP only, which will be an innovation. now it's just about pushing a brandname.
  12. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

Good for them. Google is trying to monopolize the entire industry. Even Microsoft stayed away from producing a "Microsoft phone"..Apple has refrained also. Apple may produce their own OS and their own phone but they aren't licensing their operating system out to other companies to use.

Google wants you to become a slave to them. Have you seen the advertisements? They want every company, every industry, and all the information of the world to be in a nest-egg of their own dictatorship and disposal. Every time an app is released that Google has not created, they try to make their own and promote it as superior.

I did not approve of Verizon denying Apple, but there is some warrant to this decision.
  13. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Exactly....why would VZW convert and build out a GSM network for one phone : )
  14. mach330

mach330 New Member

saw that phone yesterday. a friend of mine who works at google said he got it last fri. it's a pretty thin and light phone. a lot slimmer than the droid and iphone. didn't like the trackball nor the matte finish. feels pretty good around the hands though. i still hope to have the cdma version soon. i just hope the trackball is gone or put a optical track ball on it.
  15. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Cause it's Ugly and it's mother dresses it Funny......