Nexus Newb

raptor5k

Reaction score
So from all the hints I'm seeing, I might like this new Nexus or Droid Prime or whatever they want to call it. I am a newb at it though, can someone tell me what the Nexus line of phones is all about? Do they really have stock android OS, no manufacturer skins? What makes the previous Nexus phones different from everything else android? Please fill me in, or point me in the right direction. For reference, I'm just on a Samsung continuum now, a basic Android phone for anyone that doesn't know.

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
So from all the hints I'm seeing, I might like this new Nexus or Droid Prime or whatever they want to call it. I am a newb at it though, can someone tell me what the Nexus line of phones is all about? Do they really have stock android OS, no manufacturer skins? What makes the previous Nexus phones different from everything else android? Please fill me in, or point me in the right direction. For reference, I'm just on a Samsung continuum now, a basic Android phone for anyone that doesn't know.

Unlocked stock skinless premiere android OS bacon

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

EFGantry

Reaction score
Nexus phones are pure vanilla, stock android - no other skins, UI's, bloatware, etc that you will find on other phones (e.g., Touchwiz by Sammy, Sense by HTC, Blur by Moto, etc). as a practical matter, with just stock OS, this means that any future OS updates will come straight from Google as soon as they are ready. you don't have to wait for the OEM to futz with the update and get it compatible with the OEM's skin/UI. Also, Nexus devices are generally known as developer phones, for andy enthusiasts. the bootloader is unlocked, and the phone can be hacked pretty readily - custom roms, overclocking, custom kernels, etc...

OP
R

raptor5k

Reaction score
Nexus phones are pure vanilla, stock android - no other skins, UI's, bloatware, etc that you will find on other phones (e.g., Touchwiz by Sammy, Sense by HTC, Blur by Moto, etc). as a practical matter, with just stock OS, this means that any future OS updates will come straight from Google as soon as they are ready. you don't have to wait for the OEM to futz with the update and get it compatible with the OEM's skin/UI. Also, Nexus devices are generally known as developer phones, for andy enthusiasts. the bootloader is unlocked, and the phone can be hacked pretty readily - custom roms, overclocking, custom kernels, etc...

So if the rumors are true, and Samsung makes it as the Droid prime or whatever, are they going to screw all that up?

EFGantry

Reaction score
unknown at this time. however, personally, i believe that Google won't allow the characteristics of a Nexus device (i.e., an open, stock, developer friendly device) to be significantly altered. in fact, the latest buzz (and what i believe will happen) is that VZW will have 2 different devices: the Droid Prime (SCH-i515), which will essentially be a Charge 2 and will have Touchwiz and bloat; and then the Nexus/Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime/whatever (GT-i9250), which will be a vanilla android, open, typical Nexus device. but, this is all rumor and theory - VZW and Sammy could very well screw it all up with a bloated locked down device. i just don't think Google would allow that...

Oxymoron

Reaction score
So if the rumors are true, and Samsung makes it as the Droid prime or whatever, are they going to screw all that up?

No. Google oversees the Nexus phones. We either get it stock, or we don't get a Nexus. If it isn't stock, it will not have the Nexus name. "Samsung Prime"... different story.

*customized tapatalk signature*

OP
R

raptor5k

Reaction score
So might be a stupid question. I assume you still want root access on a Nexus device. Do you mess with Custom roms, or since it's stock vanilla android is it good enough as is? Obviously you can't answer for a phone that has yet to be released or even announced, but what about the previous editions of the Nexus phones?

EFGantry

Reaction score
So might be a stupid question. I assume you still want root access on a Nexus device. Do you mess with Custom roms, or since it's stock vanilla android is it good enough as is? Obviously you can't answer for a phone that has yet to be released or even announced, but what about the previous editions of the Nexus phones?

that's a big part of the allure of a Nexus phone. in addition to being vanilla android, it's generally known as a developer device. so, the bootloader is open and unlocked, allowing for easy installation of custom roms, kernels, etc.

jleeusa

Reaction score
From what I understand, previous Nexus phones have been sold by Google for retail, not subsidized . I have not owned one, yet, so I don't know if that's the rule, a possibility, or just something that's happened in the past. I can see the benefits but it could get pricey.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Isaiah

Reaction score
nexus is stock and clean, generally gets updates sooner. Whether the phone will or will not be a nexus doesn't matter at all though, at least for the root company. Samsung is one of the coolest companies when it comes to development. historically they've been easy to crack.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
From what I understand, previous Nexus phones have been sold by Google for retail, not subsidized . I have not owned one, yet, so I don't know if that's the rule, a possibility, or just something that's happened in the past. I can see the benefits but it could get pricey.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

They changed that after the first nexus came out. They seen it got poor sales so they started letting carriers sell them.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!