Nexus never enters 3G

GohanBurner

Reaction score
've had this phone since december 27 and i have yet to enter 3G. I am only able to get 4G or1X. What gives? Is a radio broken?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
've had this phone since december 27 and i have yet to enter 3G. I am only able to get 4G or1X. What gives? Is a radio broken?

That isn't normal. Is your phone stock? If so, you should take that issue up with Verizon.

OP
GohanBurner

GohanBurner

Reaction score
It's ripped with gummy rom and updated radios, but even before i did that it couldn't get 3G.

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's ripped with gummy rom and updated radios, but even before i did that it couldn't get 3G.

I would return to unrooted stock w/ the current official radio and see if you can get 3G. If not I'd lock the bootloader up and take that thing back to VZW.

holdout

Reaction score
I suppose i have the same problem. ive got my second nexus here because I love the phone but my first one was randomly rebooting, making "fax" noises on calls, and had generally poor reception.

I just activated the second one last night and when I switch it to CDMA I get no connectivity.

Currently i have a weak 4G signal, -114dBu/26asu. When I switch over to CDMA (3G) it is -93dBu/2asu, however under these conditions it will not connect to the internet. (it will connect to the web using 4g) and 4G drains the battery so bad its not practical to use it exclusively. my first Galaxy nexus would connect to the web on 3g from my house. Fortunately i have wifi that I can connect to when necessary in my home, but I'd like the phone to work as it should.

I chose to exchange the first phone because of the poor reception and a few other issues. I will work with this one for a few more days to see if I can make it work. Perhaps the rumored OTA update will remedy some of this?

Any thoughts?

OP
GohanBurner

GohanBurner

Reaction score
I'm going to unroot, go stock, and lock up the bootloader and see...if nothing, second nexus here i come...

holdout

Reaction score
Alright, Ill follow up on my previous post on this issue: I got my replacement Gnex and this was the phone I was having this issue with. Once I left my house and started traveling around, I saw an improvement as it started to switch out between 3G & 4G.

My guess is that it needed to "learn" the cell signals or something?

BTW, I posted this issue at first as I had only had the replacement phone at my home where I am on the fringe of 4g. The first Gnex I had had a weak 3 g signal and had the random reboot problem. With the new one I have almost forgot what the boot up animation looks like!

OP
GohanBurner

GohanBurner

Reaction score
So i guess i should stop being lazy and get a replacement lol