Nexus fans where you at?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nexusae0_boot_thumb.gif
At one time on this forum we had to break out the riot gear to calm nexus fans down, now it is just too quiet. Is it because we have been so disappointed in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus with its poor radios and lack or support?
Or is it because we know that we will probably never see a Verizon Nexus again?
Kind of depressing to think that for those of us waiting on a Verizon Nexus since the HTC Incredible was first rumored to have initially been VZW's version of the Nexus One that the first, last, and possibly only Verizon Nexus (phone) we will ever see was the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Yeah thanks for that Big V.
For those of us who jumped ship to a carrier where the Nexus is supported, we have gotten the chance to experience what a true nexus experience is like with fast updates and an overall clean interface. Unless Google botch the next few nexus devices I am convinced my next phone will be a Nexus based on my experience with my Nexus 5.
For those on Verizon, who are there because they are holding on for dear life to their unlimited data or they live in an area where Verizon is the only practical option, cheer up as you may not ever get a chance at another Nexus (phone) but you may have the next best thing in Moto. If Motorola continues with their quick updates and clean look then Nexus fans on Verizon may not be left out of the fun. With the Moto developer edition devices you are basically a step away. Unfortunately you may have to pay more for it than a nexus and you do not get factory images released right away so you can flash the next update, but if you can handle those minor issues then you are practically part of the Nexus family (eh maybe not as close as google play edition devices but as of late Moto have been beating google play edition and some nexus devices in getting the latest software). So to Moto fans here is to you having the closest thing to a Google experience device that you can possibly have on a Verizon phone without having to flash an AOSP rom.

jspradling7

Reaction score
The Galaxy Nexus was my second smartphone. I came from the Droid Charge that had no real support to a phone that had endless support. The hardware sorta sucked but the ROM's were awesome. Over the course of two years I tried everything I could. Sourcery ended up being the last and favorite for me, the themes that came with it were the deepest ones I've ever ran. I have a Nexus 10 tablet that I love but I don't customize it. I guess you can say I've had my Nexus fix and now I just want functionality and stability. Now days, the stock software on the flagships have 90+ percent of what I use to flash custom ROMs to get. I run the M8, G2, and Moto X, stock and rooted and that's it. I'm glad I had the experience and the fun but I have no desire to own another Nexus phone.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
+1000 ..I'm with ya jsp...I have unlocked M8 just like you ...I won't go to AOSP ..the regular Roms are better IMO with all the features ...Viper One being a great example ..stock rooted with Xposed is solid on most if not all phones as well ..I don't get caught up with the I need latest OS thing either ...if I'm running a great 4.4.2 ..I don't need to rush to 4.4.4 ...plus when I do get it bugs will be mostly squashed ...I flashed away on the Nexus like you ...great time and awesome options ...but horrible battery life lol
No matter what combo I ran if the phone has bad battery it won't help ya .haha

M8 tap'd

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The Big Red pretty much killed the Nexus hype. I remember a week before release they still hadn't shown a commercial to hype up the phone, let alone a real release date. And after that the only commercial that involved the Galaxy Nexus had more to do with Google+. So thanks Verizon for killing any chance of a new Nexus device.

I loved having my Nexus as I could flash a ROM just about every week. It was fun messing with the settings, finding the right combination of ROM + Kernel, or other slight modifications I could make. However, I think I'm passed that stage, even today my s4 is still stock rooted since day 3 of ownership. And the best mods I've done to it were removing the constant wifi notification, changing the notification bar icons to white, and using Google Now Launcher. I have no plans or any real interest in flashing a ROM on this thing.

What Moto is doing with their UI is something I look forward to upgrading to, should it stay similar to what it is now. TW and Sense are filled with so many extra features that ultimately get turned off, for me at least, and not to mention performance suffers from their skins too. Moto keeps it basic and offers a much more refined UI without really suffering in performance.

Stick to Verizon and rely on Moto to provide a Nexus like experience, or jump ship and get myself the real thing. I'll have to find out next year when contract is up...

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Dez ..Good post ...and I would love to get back with Moto ..let's hope it comes thru as rumored ...gotta say the latest Sense is solid ...minimal and not in the way ...hopefully it's a new trend to let us enjoy things ..

M8 tap'd

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
same here jsp. i am on tmobile and love wifi calling. its a big feature for me. i love my m8...which is currently dead because i dropped it in a pool and am waiting until i get paid to get my replacement...and sense6 is actually quite good. if tmobiles signal was stronger inside my house wifi calling wouldn't be necessary and i'd probably have a nexus 5. i was so close recently on buying a motox because it was $125 off. i have two nexus 7 tablets and love them but that new 8" nvidia tablet has my eye. i havent lost my love for aosp android but i have a busier life now and modding a phone can be time consuming.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
My first Android phone was the OG Droid and I joined the forum here back before the phone actually dropped. I was a complete Android newb at that time and the OG Nexus dropped about a year later as I recall. I didn't see the point but didn't realize my Droid was stock Android and didn't even understand what that meant at that point.

Now I'm much more experienced and won't touch a Nexus device as long as Google insists on taking the Apple approach regarding non-user-replaceable batteries and no expandable storage combined with small capacities.

If Google were to stick to their guns and offer a Nexus phone with 36 hours of battery life while watching videos at 75% max luminance and 512GB of storage, I'd buy one. As long as they continue to offer devices with 8-hour battery lives and 16GB of storage, I'll look elsewhere.

I'll continue to buy someone else's phone with expandable storage, replaceable batteries, and flash whatever features I wish to have and remove the ones I don't.

Freedom FTW.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good read bk.

I am in the middle, I do not want to see all devices look the same I like that we have "sense and tw" as an option but where I have been hung up over the years is two things.
1) OEMS skin so heavily that it no longer looks or feel like android. Like the author pointed out the basics like the settings is different. And it goes from basically a light skin to practically a buggy software.

2) OEMS lock their devices because their software is proprietary but refuse to provide updates.

I think a fair compromise is to allow manufacturers to use their skin how they see fit if Samsung wants to go overboard where the phone looks more like tizen than android so be it, but give users the option to switch to a gpe skin without voiding their warranty and proprietary software like their camera software or various apps can be installed via Google play if they so choose. OEMS are already putting their system apps in the play store following in Google's footsteps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Funny how most of us (hardcore ROM flashers) are over it.

I remember sitting in IRC's for hours waiting for ROMS to be released. I was a serial flasher. Sometimes I'd flash a few ROMS in one day. "Oh somebody wants me test their unreleased ROM!"

Don't even get me started on kernels. I could spend hours upon hours of flashing and testing. Then of course you had to benchmark everything on Linpack :) squeezing everything out of your set-up.

Today I have no desire to flash anything except my girlfriend....

Give me some great features and a great OTB experience and I'm a happy camper. If I carried an Android handset today it would be the Moto X. Its the perfect Android handset for me.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I feel bad since jumping to At&t and subsequently the Nexus 5, I don't have much need for forums, though I still come here multiple times a day. The phone works consistently, no root, no ROM, just plain does what I need.

When I had my Note 3, like others, I was flashing ROM after ROM to find the one I liked the most. In the end, just give me a phone and a tablet that whenever I pick it up, it will do what my fingers tell it to.

Maybe it is the older age or just a higher expectancy of how devices should operate, but I am hooked on Nexus until they give me a reason not to be.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I feel bad since jumping to At&t and subsequently the Nexus 5, I don't have much need for forums, though I still come here multiple times a day. The phone works consistently, no root, no ROM, just plain does what I need.

When I had my Note 3, like others, I was flashing ROM after ROM to find the one I liked the most. In the end, just give me a phone and a tablet that whenever I pick it up, it will do what my fingers tell it to.

Maybe it is the older age or just a higher expectancy of how devices should operate, but I am hooked on Nexus until they give me a reason not to be.

I am the same way with my nexus 5 except I am rooted mainly for xposed so that I can have the reboot menu and circle battery icon in the notification bar. Other than that man since I bought my nexus I have yet to put a rom on it. Now I did play with the Google L developer software for about a week before going back to 4.4.4. But yeah I just love the simplicity of the Nexus. And like CK I can care less about roms. I too was one who would flash rom upon rom looking for the next hit only to be frustrated when I go to open my camera only to have it f/c. Now it feels great to have an awesome android experience while knowing everything will work when I go to open the app).

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Good posts up in here y'all ..I like to hear what everyone is thinking ...and thank you PC for starting it ...CK I'm with ya ..I would flash 3 ROMS before lunch time ..and I was at work ...LMAO ...

M8 tap'd

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good posts up in here y'all ..I like to hear what everyone is thinking ...and thank you PC for starting it ...CK I'm with ya ..I would flash 3 ROMS before lunch time ..and I was at work ...LMAO ...

M8 tap'd

I personally like the diversity of android and truly hope it stays diverse. Not everyone needs to be a crackflasher and love stock vanilla android. Whether one choose vanilla, Sense, Touchwiz, or what ever LG is doing is their choice. And most people do not care or know what "Sense or Touchwiz" is or even care. They look at the phone and if it looks cool or is what every one has then that is what they get. And even those among us who know most of us just want something that works and fit our diverse style.
So yeah I am appreciative of all who responded nice to get a pulse of the community.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Choices are great ..and that phone stock with solid features is a win win for all of us ...bc it's core has to be strong ..let us then do what we want to it...lol

M8 tap'd

Last edited: