Nexus? DROID RAZR maxx? I can't pick one! help!!!

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
If you go with Lean Kernel, also check out LeanTweaks. The name of the user who develops it escapes me, but just Google it. It's terminal based but it has always helped me get amazing performance from Lean Kernel.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry Jsm9872, I think people are being irresponsible by telling this guy to root/rom and hope, when he's having rebooting issues. He needs to find out which app(if any) is causing his issues, then he can root and rom all he wants.

OP
N

N3xus

Reaction score
xDMONEYx said:
Current AOKP Releases

M
ilestone 4 is a 4.0.3 build and Milestone 5 is a complete 4.0.4 build. I just flashed M5 last night myself, loving it thus far. Then again, AOKP ROMs have never really disappointed me yet besides maybe lacking a few features, but that's just me being spoiled. It's always best to download and flash the ROMs yourself in Clockwork Recovery. Don't forget to grab the GAPPS for whatever release you choose, there should be a link to them at the bottom of every individual release page.

As far as battery life goes, AOKP does a good job coupled with a good kernel. I personally prefer either Franco's kernel or Imoysen's Lean Kernel. Both can be accessed if you grab Franco's app from the market. Makes installation of either kernel, both stable and nightlies, very easy. Also has a bunch of other useful settings and tweaks, especially the color control. If you thought your Nexus display was gorgeous before, wait until you set the adjustments to what Franco suggests. Even more gorgeous.

Newbie question: I've never installed a kernel before, how do I install it?

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Newbie question: I've never installed a kernel before, how do I install it?

They can be flashed like ROMs. So either find a kernel you would like to use throughout the forums on the web and download the .zip file or like I suggested, pick up Franco's Kernel updater app from the Play Store! :D

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Sorry Jsm9872, I think people are being irresponsible by telling this guy to root/rom and hope, when he's having rebooting issues. He needs to find out which app(if any) is causing his issues, then he can root and rom all he wants.

I completely agree that rooting and ROMing should never be done to attempt to fix an issue. Unfortunately at the stage I came into the thread it had long been rooted and unlocked so I am merely trying to help guide from here to avoid any flashing mishaps. If it is an app causing rebooting then it will likely do the same once the ROM is installed and we will still need to figure it out then.

OP
N

N3xus

Reaction score
xDMONEYx said:
They can be flashed like ROMs. So either find a kernel you would like to use throughout the forums on the web and download the .zip file or like I suggested, pick up Franco's Kernel updater app from the Play Store! :D

Great thanks for the quick response, OK on the play store is it franco kernel updater?

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I keep my display around 75% all of the time. I can see it in the sunlight, unlike the DX where it was useless to even try.

Interesting, I can see my DX screen fine in full sunlight.

Spydaz

Reaction score
I had the same dilemma choosing between the GN and the RMAXX.

I tried all the kernels etc on the GN and the radio and battery life were still horrible. I decided go pick up a RAZR MAXX and flash the ICS leak and MAN THIS PHONE IS SICK!

Crazy battery life (like a 1 1/2 days heavy use crazy) and ICS OS. This is a match made in heaven.

All i can say to the OP is Choose wisely as I live in an area where 4G has been for a long time and with the RAZR MAXX I get phenomenal 4-5 bars service where as the GN I was getting 1-2 bars of service.

Don't mean to confuse you even more buddy just trying to give you my experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

OP
N

N3xus

Reaction score
Spydaz said:
I had the same dilemma choosing between the GN and the RMAXX.

I tried all the kernels etc on the GN and the radio and battery life were still horrible. I decided go pick up a RAZR MAXX and flash the ICS leak and MAN THIS PHONE IS SICK!

Crazy battery life (like a 1 1/2 days heavy use crazy) and ICS OS. This is a match made in heaven.

All i can say to the OP is Choose wisely as I live in an area where 4G has been for a long time and with the RAZR MAXX I get phenomenal 4-5 bars service where as the GN I was getting 1-2 bars of service.

Don't mean to confuse you even more buddy just trying to give you my experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Thank man for your honest input, I think I'm going to give the nexus one more chance. If I'm not satisfied with the nexus then for sure I would get the razr maxx in a heartbeat