Nexus customization

superpopmonk

Reaction score
Hi guys. Haven't posted in forever but I was looking for some advice. I just got my nexus a couple days ago and immediately unlocked and rooted it. I have tried a couplle rooms (mainly the heavy hitters) but what I'm looking for is the most çustomization. In addition, I've never flashed a kernel and 2ould love some reccomendations to improve battery life. Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

mcmuggy

Reaction score
ROMs

AOKP.had the best customization I've used so far . I'm on stock 4.0.4 now but I'm probably going to wipe this weekend and use this: [ROM][4.0.4]BAMF Paradigm v1.2 - [CDMA] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki

As far as kernels go, go to the market and get the Franco Kernel updater. Its a couple of bucks but worth it and it constantly updates with known stable and experimental kernels. I've used it to over clock etc and it works great.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
What sort of customization are you looking for? AOKP, Liquid, Axiom, Black Ice, Gummy, Sourcery, and many others have quite a bit of customization. Some offer some options that aren't available in others.

About the kernel, that depends on your ROM and device. Different ROMs and devices react differently to different kernels, and definitely react differently depending on what settings you use within the kernel. Not all devices can handle undervolting, or overclocking the same. Finding which kernel works best for your setup takes some experimentation, if you tweak the kernel that takes even more experimentation. As for ones to try, there are quite a few out there. Lean Kernel, Franco, Faux, Trinity, Glados, Popcorn, and some others are floating around out there.

mikespe

Reaction score
Liquid has the best combo of customization & battery life...(I'm running the Franco kernel with Liquid 1.25)...Liquid is missing a few tweaks than AOKP but based on reading the AOKP threads on both XDA & Rootzwiki it seems battery isn't AS GOOD as in Liquid. I tried AOKP B30 but I thought it was buggy. They have since released B31 which people are saying is better. I'm waiting for Liquid v1.3 to be released soon!

OP
S

superpopmonk

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies... when I say customization I mean just that. The one with the most options as opposed to specific ones. Aokp keeps coming up so I think I'll try it... and I had no idea about the kernel app so I will definitely check it out... sounds like the from manager of kernels. Thanks again!

PARick

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies... when I say customization I mean just that. The one with the most options as opposed to specific ones. Aokp keeps coming up so I think I'll try it... and I had no idea about the kernel app so I will definitely check it out... sounds like the from manager of kernels. Thanks again!

Sourcery and Black Ice offer a great deal of what you are looking for.

OP
S

superpopmonk

Reaction score
Yeah... I've been running sourcery for the past week or so and I love it... the customization is supreme. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to make the battery life better. I know I can try different kernels but I really know nothing about them and have no idea what would go well with this specific from. Also. Does anyone have advice for how you determine what is compatible?

PARick

Reaction score
superpopmonk said:
Yeah... I've been running sourcery for the past week or so and I love it... the customization is supreme. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to make the battery life better. I know I can try different kernels but I really know nothing about them and have no idea what would go well with this specific from. Also. Does anyone have advice for how you determine what is compatible?

In the mods section is the ability to download different kernels. You can try that, but I use the Franco app in the market.