Nexus 9 Might Have a Design Defect: Fragile/Bendable Outer Casing

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus9-bendy-case.jpg

Like we said earlier, it's apparently a super-tablet news-day, and it continues with another Nexus 9 story. This one is not too pretty though, and in fact, could end up being Google's equivalent of Apple's #bendgate. In the animated version of the image above (shown in the thread below), the outer casing on the new HTC-made Google Nexus 9 tablet appears to be very bendable, allowing its user to easily push it inward with gentle pressure.

Considering this is supposed to be a "premium" device, it's a bit disconcerting to see this. According to the report, the tablet pops itself back into place very easily, so it's at least not as bad as what some iPhone 6 Plus users are experiencing. Still, it's disappointing to see something like this make it through manufacturing. If you have the Nexus 9, let us know if you experienced this too.

For more discussions, check out the Nexus 9 Forum

Source: BGR

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that animated version of the bendy Nexus 9 case:

nexus-9-premium-animated-gif.gif

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Not so much a bend as much as a flex or empty space below it. It would bug me but if anything, it could be empty space for the thing to actually flex from pressure on the glass side.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah, that would annoy me, that is not a "premium" feature at all. For $399 +, I would return that, but I am OCD as all get out with my tech.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Sounds like this one may have issues like the first Nexus 7 had. Light bleed, creaking and screen/body separation were common with that one.

I was seriously considering the N9 but I think I will hold off for another 50% off flash sale or clearance prices.

Tap'd from my Droid Turbo

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sounds like this one may have issues like the first Nexus 7 had. Light bleed, creaking and screen/body separation were common with that one.

I was seriously considering the N9 but I think I will hold off for another 50% off flash sale or clearance prices.

I know, I almost wish I didn't know they had that sale. I don't think I can pay full price for it knowing there a chance to get it half off. Or even maybe see a price drop coming.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
from #bendgate to #flexgate......wait Google/HTC you can save this....pull a page out of the old Apple playbook and just say it is the first flex tablet :rolleyes: .

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Course, this guy could have popped the back off and removed the battery, causing there to be the gap. Then replaced the back, created GIF, and finally initiated mass panic.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I know, I almost wish I didn't know they had that sale. I don't think I can pay full price for it knowing there a chance to get it half off. Or even maybe see a price drop coming.
If they could sell them for half of and still make a profit that tells me deals may come quick if sales are slow. I'm glad I did see the sale and this little snafu. I was gonna pay full price in a few months for one.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Let's start using devices instead of trying to break them..

M8 tap'd
I agree. With that said I am glad there are people out there that put these devices to the test. There are people out there who use their devices regularly and just have one out of a bad batch. Some when they try and use the warranty carriers and manufacturers treat them like they broke it when it is an obvious manufacturer flaw. Test like these help the consumer so when the carrier or manufacturer looks at them side ways they can break out the videos and reviews. My og droid had an issue with the headphone jack that was a known issue. When it finally got to a point I could not use it I went to Verizon and the reps looked at me sideways. I broke out the complaints found on the Motorola forum as well as the reps acknowledgement of the issue and the rep gave me a new phone.
Now the copy cats that are trying to bend their devices with a press and dropping them off the top of the building deserves what ever they get when the manufacturer denies their warranty claim.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's extremely uncommon these days to find dead space in a device like this.

I agree with all of the comments already posted here, but I'd like to see proof from more than one source. Until then, I'll believe that this is a fluke and a vast majority of them are sturdy.

Either way, I wasn't planning on getting one, but I'd sure reconsider if this is more widespread than I want to think it is.