Nexus 9, does any one care?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Oct 26, 2014.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,934
    [​IMG]
    I get this vibe that when the HTC Nexus 9 was rumored many people were mainly excited about the specs. Now the Nexus 9 is here there is just not the same excitement for it as the Nexus 6. With the Nexus 6 people were excited that Motorola was finally getting a nexus but let's not forget that HTC started it all for us first the the G1 and later the Nexus One. Yet HTC is not getting the same fanfare as say Motorola right now. What is the deal why are people sleeping on the nexus 9?

I think there are a few reasons:
    1. As phones continue to get larger Android tablets become less sought after. At what the cost of the average android tablet I feel like you could get more done with a chromebook despite having limited off line programs.
    2. Android tablets need more. When the iPad hit the seen the average phone sizes were around 5inches or less. Tablets were a good way to consume media. But without a suitable keyboard and programs to accompany, tablets were not ready to take on the load as a laptop. Samsung with their note tablets are trying to bring the productive value to tablets but, as of right now, android is not designed to operate as a software that can compete with mac or pc.
    What will it take for the android tablet to "take over"?

I don't think the tablet market is the niche area for android. I mean with the exception of using it as an e-reader or a means to consume media android to me strength lies in being a phone software. I actually think Windows serve as a better device as far as tablets. There are just so many programs (ie citrix ) that companies have built around windows software and frankly android is just not going to be able to catch up. If Android and Windows can realize that they can share the market place and ease of the restrictions that are keeping manufacturers from taking advantage of the space where Android and Microsoft can co-exist, we could benefit from devices that can fully take advantage of the tablet market. But until Microsoft realize that Android has a better mobile interface and Android realize that Microsoft has a better tablet/pc interface we will continue to have tablets on the market that do not fully live up to its full capabilities. I am surprised, not really because Apple is stuck in their ways, that Apple who owns both iOS and Mac OS do not take advantage and build tablets that can go from MAC to iOS and take advantage of a space where Android and Microsoft can not.

I ask, are you interested in the Nexus 9 or other android tablets, and if not why?

What do you look for in a tablet and what would it take for a tablet to be able to become your go to device for productivity?

2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    I no longer have interest in tablets. I have a first gen Nexus 7 that pretty much collects dust. I use it every now and then, but overall, it is far less used than I thought it would be. I'd sell it, but won't get much for it, so rather just keep it as a backup or a smaller device I can carry around.

Reason I'm no longer interested is because it's neither a PC or my phone. Phone covers all my mobile needs and at home nothing compares to my PC. It's an extra piece of hardware I didn't really need. And if I need some real power on the go I can bring my laptop.

• Like Like x 5
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,934
    Good point and I feel the same way. I look at the Nexus 9 and then I look at how much dust my nexus 7 collects and I keep on moving. I really wish hybrid devices were able to manifest itself because had Asus been able to put out a hybrid device I think we would have been able to see the pros/cons and also see more companies take a crack at it (Samsung, Lenovo, Acer). Imagine a tablet with the power of a pc it would add to the tablet market. Something like the Asus transformer, or devices like it, would be my go to device over a pc especially if powered with suitable internals.

On a positive note we are seeing Microsoft develop for the android ecosystem, will that lead to both Google and Microsoft backing off the "evil eye" at hybrid devices...hope so as it is time. But there is another underlying reason the hybrid devices may be on hault (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...-royalty-payments/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0) until the air is cleared with some of the patent and lawsuits it may be hard for a company to take a gamble at hybrid devices.

4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +767
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    As much as I want one...my Nexus 7 goes unused. When Hearthstone is released for Android before the end of the year, my N7 will finally get some use. I however don't need a new tablet for that.

I find more use in my Moto 360 than I do in my N7.

5. RyanPm40

RyanPm40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +133
    If it weren't for the convenience of having a stylus and a bluetooth keyboard to take notes with in class on my Note 10.1, I would never use my tablet. It pretty much collects dust all summer, which is why I think it's important for tablet manufacturers to appeal to students and offer something more than the average smartphone

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,407
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Asus transformers were awesome. Keyboard & touch pad with extra battery life.

But, like you said, the software isn't quite there.

Even with my new 5.7" phone, I prefer the comfort of a 7" tablet.

That said, I almost only use my 1st gen Nexus 7 to read books. Every once in a while, I used it to consume other media, but that means pulling it out of the drawer in my nightstand & firing it up. The phone is more practical fit every day use unless I leave the tablet on, but that means having to charge it by the time I go to use it.

Tablets in general (@ least ipad & android) are media consumption devices, not really productivity devices.

Haven't had a chance to play with a surface or anything, but my money would be on a Microsoft tablet if I needed something for work more portable than my laptop.

Sent from my Note 4

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +588
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Hi guys!

I'm the weirdo who uses his Nexus 10 tablet almost daily!

• Like Like x 3
  8. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,222
    I use my Nexus 10 for media consumption. I watch movies and tv shows on it all the time. I am not super happy that the Nexus 9 will have a smaller and 4:3 screen. That being said I do have it on pre-order

• Like Like x 1
  9. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    I think it's great for those folks that don't want a phablet but still want a new tablet. That said, I use my S5 for pretty much everything, and only break out my N7 now and then for movies. No need to upgrade for awhile. But for those folks that haven't jumped on the tablet bandwagon yet, this will be a good time to do so.

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    My tablet has replaced my laptop (MBP) for everything except for hardcore gaming. I'm still wishing for a 15", but it will probably be a few years before that happens.

My workload has nothing to do with intensive cpu/ram usage so it was easy for me to make the switch. That and RPD made it a natural next step for me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. rhcp011235

rhcp011235 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +21
    Nope,

I can care less about the nexus 6 or the nexus 9 (at that price range)

I am going to let everyone order them (and get defects and get pissed off) This has happened in the past with all nexus devices, and I have to assume its going to happen again, Ill wait for batch two and Ill wait for them to end up on @swappa :)

12. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Let's hope you're wrong this time. I have great expectations for the Nexus 6 and am hoping it is everything it's hyped to be.

• Like Like x 1