Nexus 7 Overclocked to 1.64GHz Annihilates Benchmarks

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus_7_benchmarks_overclocked-420x262.png

A brave soul over at XDA decided to take his new Nexus 7 tablet to the limit. He threw a custom kernel on the device and then overclocked it to a massive 1.64GHz. With these clock speeds he was able to crush every other device on the market in benchmarks. You can see the results in the the pic above. Just in case you are tempted by this, the kernel he used is the new “Trinity Seven” kernel from Trinity AKA Morfic. You can read more about it at the link below, but as always, be cautious if you decide to give it a try.

Source: NexusTablets.net via TalkAndroid & XDA

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That's awesome!! Been loving the n7, looks like its time to overclock lol.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Not a huge overclocker... especially now with dual core and quad core processors. It sure is nice to see what my awesome nexus 7 can do though.

jayman350

Reaction score
wow that is a huge gap between that and the next ones, what do the normal benchmarks look like?

the nexus 7 is definitely appealing, but i just flashed a jb rom on my kindle fire so i've got something to occupy my interest until i have an extra $200 laying around...

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
zoom

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

geoff5093

Reaction score
Why is that a huge overclock? 1.3Ghz to 1.64Ghz is only 340Mhz. My Thunderbolt can be overclocked from 1GHz to 1.92Ghz and be stable.

ka1z0ku

Reaction score
This tablet definitely has potential, I think Google knew people would be squeezing out every ounce of performance when they went with an under clocked Tegra 3. I am so torn between getting this or the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity. The infinity has better specs but its just not a Nexus device, and clearly won't achieve performance like this until it gets 4.1.1.

Sent from my Synergy SGSIII

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
This tablet definitely has potential, I think Google knew people would be squeezing out every ounce of performance when they went with an under clocked Tegra 3. I am so torn between getting this or the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity. The infinity has better specs but its just not a Nexus device, and clearly won't achieve performance like this until it gets 4.1.1.

Big hardware features missing from the N7 (that people seem to complain about) is no external SD storage (without rooting and USB OTG cable, which some people don't want to do) and no HDMI out. That, 7 vs. 10 inch, and obviously the price will probably be the factors in considering which one to go with IMO.

For myself, since I knew I could rely on cloud storage and didn't want to spend a lot, the N7 made perfect sense. Also as an e-reader the 7" form factor is perfect.

ka1z0ku

Reaction score
Big hardware features missing from the N7 (that people seem to complain about) is no external SD storage (without rooting and USB OTG cable, which some people don't want to do) and no HDMI out. That, 7 vs. 10 inch, and obviously the price will probably be the factors in considering which one to go with IMO.

For myself, since I knew I could rely on cloud storage and didn't want to spend a lot, the N7 made perfect sense. Also as an e-reader the 7" form factor is perfect.

Couldn't agree more. I have a Transformer Prime already which satisfies my 10" tablet needs, and the keyboard attachment makes it like a little ultra book. The n7 would probably be used more for reading/social media/you tube, that sort of stuff.