Nexus 6P VS Note 5

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Figured since I have them with me, I can do a comparison of sorts to see if it could help others. This is based off my initial impressions and limited use so far, just at first glance type things.

1. We already knew this, but the 6P is a good amount taller than the Note 5. I can't reach to pull down the notification bar without shifting the phone in my hand with the 6P like I can with the Note 5.

2. Along with height, 6P is slightly wider than the Note 5. With wider borders than the very thin borders on the Note 5. This size difference does not add or take away from how the device feels in the hand though.

3. The speaker, there is no comparison as imaged. The duel speakers on the 6P are extremely impressive. I played Adele's new song from Google Music and it sounded very clear, loud, and booming I would say. The bottom facing single speaker of the Note 5 is just not the same level.

4. The fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone will take some getting used to I am sure, but it is quick and accurate. Though, I have never seen any issues with the Note 5 either. For me having the sensor on the front of the device is still my preference.

5. Build quality between the two are both great. I would still give the edge to the Note 5. I just don't like that plastic butt on the back of the 6P. The buttons on the Note 5 are better too. The 6P's volume button is pretty solid, but the power button is a little squishy. The Note 5's buttons are very firm and click'y.

6. The visor bump is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Lays flat okay enough on a table. Not particularly a comparison, just an observation.

7. Software wise it has been a smooth experience for both. I have not seen a hiccup on either device, and I have been using the Note 5 for a couple months now. I have been very impressed with how TouchWiz has been operating. 6P is of course encrypted by default, and we can see that in the performance metrics of disk write/read, though how that could translate in the real world is yet to be seen.

I guess I will end my rambling for now, if there are any questions you have please post them.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You had a Nexus 6 I remember so how it the pocket-ability compared. Example if you went for a run or sprint will it be falling out of your pocket (issue I am having with my nexus 6 now) ?

2nd how are the radios. Motorola's radios are picking up great in the basement of this church I go to.

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Pocket-ability is much better than the Nexus 6. That thing you could see sticking out of the pocket of my shorts, not nearly as bad with this one.

Radios I am not sure yet, still have my SIM in the Note 5. Dealing with some build issues, so might be exchanging this one for another.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hmmm, I may sell my Nexus 6 and get the 6P.

Waiting for a few weeks though. Even though I could sign up for credit, which I actually did (one step from yes). Im going to save up the money and probably get it around Christmas.

I want the 64 or 128 gb version.

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Nothing to lose by waiting really. If anything they will have the manufacturing process down better.

Noted from my Note 5

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nothing to lose by waiting really. If anything they will have the manufacturing process down better.

Noted from my Note 5
True, more to gain in being patient.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks for the comparison. This will be helpful for a lot of folks, myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sadly it came out too late in the year to expect any cyber Monday deals. Be interesting to see how things play out. The one I want don't ship until around the 12th. So I plan on waiting until the 15th at the earliest to order. Question is if I can hold off another week or 2 after that to see how these cyber deals play out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I ended up selling mine on Craigslist, going to wait a bit and see how things pan out for it. This Note 5 might be a better phone, for me at least.

Development and root is not really high on my list and the Note 5 checks more boxes for me right now.

Noted from my Note 5

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I ended up selling mine on Craigslist, going to wait a bit and see how things pan out for it. This Note 5 might be a better phone, for me at least.

Development and root is not really high on my list and the Note 5 checks more boxes for me right now.

Noted from my Note 5

Wow, so what led you to make the sell?

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My thoughts were.

The Note 5 has better battery life, a better camera, arguably better screen, better (IMO) premium feel in the hand, easier to use one-handed, and all of my current chargers (included wireless) work with the Note 5.

I know at some point I am going to have to switch to USB-C as a standard, but right now it does not seem to make sense. I just bought a QC 2.0 10,000 mAh battery pack that would be pointless to use with the 6P.

For me there were too many negatives and not enough positives. The stock Google experience is nice, and those speakers were fantastic. However, I never listen to music that way, I always use BT headphones or my Audio Technicas at work. The OS experience on my Note 5 has been flawless for me. I feel the Note 5 runs better than my Nexus 6 ever did.

I am running Nova Launcher and have a custom material theme, I don't really even know I have a Sammy phone. Until I use some of the great features the S-Pen offers, then I appreciate having one. That scrolling screen capture is really cool and have used that a lot more than I thought I would. All of this pretty much made up my mind for now.

Sold it for $600, so made $70 over my initial investment, plus I still got the $50 in the Play Store. Dude I sold it to was happy, and so was I. Just made sense.

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I really can't say enough good things about the Note 5. I am of the belief the Note 5 is a better phone than the Nexus 6P. Though if price is a concern, the 6P makes more sense.

Noted from my Note 5