Nexus 6P Does Include Quick Charge 2.0 Hardware, but It's Just Disabled

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-6p-usb-type-c.jpg

For folks who were disappointed that the new Google Nexus 6P didn't end up with Quick Charge 2.0 technology, this new confirmation from within Huawei will probably not make you any happier. It might at least provide an explanation. According to Huawei’s Richard Yuan, the new phone actually does support the Quick Charge 2.0 from within the hardware. That should actually not come as a surprise. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 in the phone has support for it built into the SoC, and it wouldn't have made sense for Huawei to spend extra money having Qualcomm design a separate version of the chip without the tech.

It turns out that Huawei decided to simply disable the feature. Here's a quote from Yuan,
As angler will not support QC2.0, but pmi8994 and smb1351 support QC2.0, we should disable this feature. Modify pmi8994 register 0x13f1 and 0x13f4 to set 5V only and disable HVDCP for pmi8994. Modify smb1351 registers 0x10, 0x12, 0x14 to set 5V only and disable HVDCP for smb1351.

The reasoning behind this shouldn't be too hard to wrap your head around. Huawei and Google wanted the phone to fully support the transition to USB Type-C. It has its own version of quick charge technology that works just as well as Qualcomm's version. Sometimes the ever-forward momentum of progressing technology tends to step on older ideas, and causes frustration in the process.

Source: Phandroid

Here's our dedicated Nexus 6P section for further discussion: Nexus 6P by Huawei | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Charges fast enough for me. I'm confident that suitable third party chargers will be in abundance soon enough.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It just boggles my mind that Google's own flagship lacks some of the most basic features that truly defines a flagship. Regardless of how fast it charges, disabling this feature as well as leaving out others is inexcuseable. It's like Samsung discontinuing the S5s IP67 rating on their S6. Which actually would have been easier to achieve on a completely sealed device with no removable battery or ext sd card. Instead we make excuses and accept these deficiencies, so manufacturers in turn continue to cut corners on devices labeled "flagship".

S5 tap'n

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well yes, they disabled the feature, but included something just as good. I can attest this thing charges faster than anything I've owned. So is it a big deal? Nope.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

boidsonly

Reaction score
As far as the Qck Chrg issue goes, for me it boils down to convenience. Why Google decided I need to use 2 hands to plug in the charger vs. one hand to lay the phone down on a charger is beyond me. But they will not make too many and what they do make will sell. I'll stick with my N6 until something else comes along that grabs my attention.
On an aside, I went to the T-Mo store and looked at the LG V10; as much as I wanted to buy it, there was nothing about it that said "Self, replace your N6."

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm still not sold on wireless charging. Had it on my phone and didn't feel the need to utilize it much. It takes two seconds to plug it in as opposed to 1, so it's not worth buying an extra accessory IMO. Plus, most of the time I use my device while charging unless I'm sleeping, so wireless charging is useless to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm still not sold on wireless charging. Had it on my phone and didn't feel the need to utilize it much. It takes two seconds to plug it in as opposed to 1, so it's not worth buying an extra accessory IMO. Plus, most of the time I use my device while charging unless I'm sleeping, so wireless charging is useless to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Same here. If my last 2 phones that were capable of wireless charging came with the chargers & special backs required, I might've utilized it & it would be a bigger deal, but I couldn't see spending extra for specialized equipment & I like to use mine at times while plugged in too.

I read somewhere that wireless charging through metal isn't certified/whatever for mass production yet, but I still wouldn't care much.

After having my 6P for a couple days now, it's still a bit weird to not worry about which direction the plug is flipped at night, but that's a more welcome feature to me than wireless would be.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I liked my wireless charging but I love the fast charge more!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I got a free wireless charger with my N5. Guess how many times I've used it? Once or twice. Why? Mainly because I end up taking it off the charger to use my phone. Also, I'm still tethered to a wall outlet and it takes up more space on my counter than the cable. For me, it just is not as convenient as plugging it in is.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Same here. If my last 2 phones that were capable of wireless charging came with the chargers & special backs required, I might've utilized it & it would be a bigger deal, but I couldn't see spending extra for specialized equipment & I like to use mine at times while plugged in too.

I read somewhere that wireless charging through metal isn't certified/whatever for mass production yet, but I still wouldn't care much.

After having my 6P for a couple days now, it's still a bit weird to not worry about which direction the plug is flipped at night, but that's a more welcome feature to me than wireless would be.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
You hit the nail on the head with exactly why I like the wireless charging. You do not have to worry what direction the plug is facing or losing the cord under the night stand, desk etc.
Inevitability every time I went to plug my phone in, the plug was upside down. Forget about in the dark next to the bed at night.
Now I just set it on the charger and I can see it. I have used my phone as a bed and clock ever since I got the Bionic with the dock.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I got a free wireless charger with my N5. Guess how many times I've used it? Once or twice. Why? Mainly because I end up taking it off the charger to use my phone. Also, I'm still tethered to a wall outlet and it takes up more space on my counter than the cable. For me, it just is not as convenient as plugging it in is.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
See, with the Note 4, you had to buy the special back or get the coils third party, then buy the charger. I think the s4 might've been the same. I charge my phone on my bedside table every night, so I might've used it for that if I got one for free.
You hit the nail on the head with exactly why I like the wireless charging. You do not have to worry what direction the plug is facing or losing the cord under the night stand, desk etc.
Inevitability every time I went to plug my phone in, the plug was upside down. Forget about in the dark next to the bed at night.
Now I just set it on the charger and I can see it. I have used my phone as a bed and clock ever since I got the Bionic with the dock.
On the Note 4, there were ridges on the side of the plug that went up. That wasn't too complicated in the dark. On the 6P, it's type c, which is fully reversible. Problem solved for me. Plug it in with either side up.

Also, I always put my charger back in the top drawer of my bedside table. My cats think the cables are toys. Learned that lesson once. That's all I needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P