Nexus 6P and 5X Video Tests Uploaded

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X were just launched in India today. Several news outlets received units and immediately began to upload video tests for us to examine. The camera was a huge selling point in Google's announcement. Google was mainly touting low light performance. The new Sony 1.55 micron sensor was supposed to make the 12.3mp camera on these devices one of the best every, a game changer!

Upon reviewing the video samples I have to say there are some good points and also some disappointing parts in these video samples. I don't see any grain even in the lower light environment of the show room in the 1080 sample. The outdoor sample shows plenty of detail and vibrant colors. What is really disappointing is the snail paced auto focus. Image stabilization is off too. Google said the reason for no optical image stabilization is because the micron is so large its not needed. We can see clearly in the videos these cameras lack ois. I can't wait to get the 6P in hand I think I can do some more thorough testing on the camera. Check out the samples below.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not too concerned about the focus so far. Obviously, we'll have to see when WE get these devices in hand, but when I take videos, I rarely flop my camera all around like he's doing here. I get my subject in focus and stay on it. I also don't take a whole lot of videos in the first place. As well, I'm big on setting myself up to hold the camera quite still when my surroundings allow it. I'm quite used to compensating for lack of OIS, since my Note 4 is the first phone I've ever had that has it and I've seen enough shaky videos to know that's not what I want when I'm taking one.

We'll see how things work out once I've got mine in hand, but I'm still excited to have this device.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have 3 videos I've taken with my smart phone, ever. I don't care about video.