Nexus 6 More Speed And Power With Android 5.1 Update

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There are two edges to every sword. That being said, if you are a Nexus 6 owner then you may have updated your device to the latest version of Android 5.1. Google released the stock image yesterday. I have been running this build all day today, and I have to say that other than the few extra features such as the new animations to go along with the different quick toggles and throughout I have actually noticed a slight improvement in the speed and performance of the device.

In Android 5.1 some major changes have taken place under the hood which make a huge difference for the bad and the good. The new build includes some improvements to Android Run Time which help to speed things up, but the major change here is that the Nexus 6 now runs all 4 cores at once always. This change means the kernel task scheduler can distribute the workload through all the cores giving the perception that the device is not hanging. This makes for a silky smooth feel.

The only downside that I have seen so far from this update is battery life. This could be but is not necessarily due to fact that all four cores are always on. I did notice today that my phone was nearly dead by 5pm this evening. I generally still have half a charge at this point. This could also be because it is the first day that I am using the update, and things have not had a chance to settle in. Overall the new build seems to be running nicely. I hope the battery life improves overtime.

Is anyone else seeing a drastic decrease in battery performance after the update?
Have any of you seen the perceived performance boost?

Via Google+

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ill have to let you know. May have to flash a custom kernel if battery life ends up dropping.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
No doubt the performance boost is the real deal. I won't have a comment on the battery until tomorrow. I took my phone off of the charger at 0700 and I'm at 17% right now (almost midnight). I made a total of 4 phone calls today and lightly used data.

Oh... and I flashed 5.1 an hour ago. I'm sure that ate some battery too.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Keep us posted y'all.. I'm waiting on custom ROM update this weekend

Tap'd by Big 6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not that it's the same animal, but I got the update on my Nexus 7 last night. It had some lag issues after 5.0/.0.1 and 0.2, though it was bearable after a factory reset.

Granted, I didn't do much more than read a book last night after installing the update, but even without a reset, the Books app loaded up right away and page turning was much snappier and more responsive. Previous to 5.1, page turning would lag when I first booted the device and launched the Books app, but I had no lag issue at all when the install finished, the tablet booted up, and I launched the books app right away.

Things as simple as unlocking the device lagged as well when it was first on, but not this time.

It could all be in my head though, because my apps had already updated before I downloaded the system update, and I'm convinced that app installs are what have been causing the lag after initial boot up.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm confident it's at least a bit better than it was.

Tonik

Reaction score
Franco's kernal is now ready for 5.1 if you want better battery. His kernal has always rocked the juice savings.