Nexus 6 Charging Underwater in Online Video

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here's something intriguing to check out. Apparently, Google and Motorola did a great job with the "water resistance" on their Google Nexus 6. The above video gives a fairly remarkable demonstration of the device actually charging wirelessly underwater.

Since the Nexus 6 isn't actually IP certified, but is only "water resistant," this was a risky maneuver on the part of the owner. It's still intriguing to watch even though I wouldn't recommend it. At the very least, this lets us know that the device should be able to handle rain, or even an accidental dunking in a pool, sink or toilet.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
5 volt isn't enough for that, probably won't even notice it.

When I was a toddler I shoved metal scissors into an open light bulb socket that carried 240 volts and melted the ends together into a nice little metal ball.
Still here to tell about it lol.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
5 volt isn't enough for that, probably won't even notice it.

When I was a toddler I shoved metal scissors into an open light bulb socket that carried 240 volts and melted the ends together into a nice little metal ball.
Still here to tell about it lol.
Volts don't kill you. Amps do and a fast charger has plenty. a 9 volt battery could kill in the right circumstances (carefully applied across the heart). Dropping something into dirty water is a quick way to find out if you are correct. Volts give push for the current so while low voltage would be less likely to be able to push those amps I'm not testing it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wireless chargers don't even push an amp, I'd test it but don't feel like frying my charger :)